Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions to ask surgeon

This afternoon is my last appointment with the surgeon prior to surgery on the 22nd. What questions should I ask? I started a list but now that this seems more "real" my head is spinning.

@@Knitchic Hello! Congrats on your surgery!

My surgeon and I went into my surgery anticipating that it was going to be laparoscopic. I made sure, on my last visit with him and even the morning of my surgery, that I asked him what the reasons would be that he'd need to open me up instead of doing it laparoscopically, and he gave me his reasons (too much scar tissue, not enough room, etc.).

I also asked when I could expect to have my first BM after surgery and if I'd need a laxative or stool softener of some sort.

I didn't ask a lot of questions outside of those, because the process for me took 6 months and I got almost every questioned answered in that amount of time.

If anything scares you or worries you or you're wondering about something, ask! Even if it seems off the wall or silly, ask it anyways!

Good Luck!

I have a list as well. On 23 September some of my questions will be:

How will sleep apnea affect my time in the recovery room? Will it affect the surgery?

Some people say their legs or other parts hurt after surgery from being strapped in. Where can I expect soreness or pain after surgery? If I know what to expect I feel I can be better prepared.

Is there a limit to how much I can walk the halls in the hospital after surgery?

I am scheduled for surgery at 8am. If all goes well what time would you expect me to be complete? What time would you expect me to be out of the recovery room? Most importantly since I am the first surgery will I still have to wait until the next day to be able to have Clear liquids? Or is this my punishment for going first lol?

What do I do if I get a headache before and after surgery? Sore Muscles?

@@Knitchic thank you. How did your appointment go? Did you calm down before it? Or did the doctor calm you as you spoke about the upcoming surgery?

@@395Ron it went great! He gave me a run down of everything from the time I walk in the hospital the morning of surgery. He took the time to answer my list of questions (yes I really did take a list because I was afraid I would forget something haha). Now I am excited and ready for the 22nd to get here.

@@Knitchic the first time I saw my doctor I had 6 pages of questions LOL. Great luck on your upcoming surgery!!