Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post op! Help!

Hello everyone!

I just had Gastric Bypass surgery September 1st 2015 and it's the 6th. I went through my two week pre op liquid diet and didn't have any trouble at all! Was I hungry? Yes. Did I cheat? No. And I did just fine on my clear liquid diet the day before and 2 days after surgery.

But here I am back on the same liquid diet and I'm really struggling. I am constantly thinking about when I'll be able to have "real food" again and am really "worried" about what foods I can and can't have. It's becoming an obsession. I haven't cheated yet so I guess in my head thinking about it is better than cheating but it's making me miserable! I know this is all head hunger and I'm actually not hungry but I am craving so many things!

Ps I am 19 year old college student who works part time so I am constantly on the go. So the pre op gas station bag of chips and red bulls still are big at the top of my cravings.

*** I am also worried about eating out.

It's mental, I went thru the exact same thing. I'm 6 months post op now and I could careless about eating. Those cravings will get better, try hard to stick to the plan (it's not easy) but you will eventually lose those cravings. It's amazing how I use to obsess about food and plan my life around it to not caring at all lol. Hang in there.

During my entire first week after surgery, I had not just weird worries and obsessions, but nightmares about food. I would dream someone offered me a spoonful of rice or a piece of Jerky or whatever other odd food my brain perceived would hurt me somehow but taste good. I would accept it and eat it, and then panic because I would think it was tearing my new pouch apart and killing me. I would wake up freaking out a little and feeling paranoid. Turns out these are somewhat common symptoms of the pain meds I was on, plus I'm a naturally anxious person by nature. If it helps you, try planning out every single thing you're going to have every day, even the Water. I suspect your body is still going through the withdrawal symptoms of sugar and carbs, as well, which would certainly be contributing to your issues. You've just been through an enormous change, both physically and mentally. It's gonna take time to adjust, but trust me... It will get better, hang in there. Take care of your new digestive system and it will take care of you. Feel free to message m anytime if you want to talk. :)

Hi Jocelyn, I had my surgery, RNY, on 8/28, I'm just a few days ahead of you. Im struggling with your same issues. Since everything medicine and supplement wise has to be crushed, I'm eating one applesauce cup a day divided in thirds. 1/3 in the morning for my Calcium Supplement, 1/3 around 3:00pm for my next 2 pill dose of Calcium and then the last 1/3 I mix with my Bariatric chewable Supplement. Believe me, this is more than enough to fill me up each day but know I need more and want more. I've been adding high Protein yogurt to the mix, cottage cheese and the best thing ever was yesterday, an Egg Beaters Scrambled Egg with low fat cheese...HEAVEN!!! I just bought an amazing cookbook called , "Earing Well After Weight Loss Surgery" by Levine and Bontempo-Saray. The authors recipes sound delicious and they break down the recipes telling when in your recovery, you can have the recipe. This is where I got the idea for the scrambled egg. Keep the Faith my fellow weight loss surgery sister, we can do this!!,!

It's not unusual to be obsessed about what you can and can't eat this early out. I kept my manual out and read and reread it constantly throughout the day as I decided what I should eat next.

The day I progressed to a new phase was so exciting as I looked forward to trying something new. Who knew that cottage cheese and refried Beans could be such a treat?

Since you are on-the-go all day, you definitely need to plan ahead so the option to eat off your plan isn't even available. You will make it!

You beautiful young lady! Congrats on your decision to take control of your health. I am one year from surgery going from a size 22 to a size 8. I never imagined getting to a single digit pant size and I know you cannot imagine yourself there right now either, but you have made quite possibly the biggest decision of your life. You are so worth this journey. The cravings can be defeated with a short walk, even if this soon after surgery it's only a quick walk around the sofa. Stick with your food plan as prescribed by your doctor. Be the best you that only you can be. Take pictures often. What you won't realize is impressive weight loss will be an eye opener when you look at your photos. You will actually see it vividly. Your face will be noticeably thinner and your smile incredibly brighter. You are going to lose weight very rapidly at this time and it's a huge motivator. Sincerest, loving hugs to you.

Awe thank you so so so much ❤️❤️ it's been hard but I'm following my diet to a T! I have a photographer in the family so I'm going to the studio to have monthly pictures taken! I had my first before my liquid diet and the day before surgery so I'm excited to do my next one and see where I am! It's hard to be so young though because all my friends go out to eat or have cook outs and I can't eat anything right now

The easiest foods to take along "on the go" we're packaged Protein Shakes. Your insurance may pay for the shakes, bariatric Vitamins, and scar cream. Your doctor signs the form and the supplies ship to your door. My basement is full of insurance-covered supplies. The diagnosis your doctor should use is 579.8 intestinal absorption but after Oct 1, 2015 the code will be K90.9 and you will find the website insurenutrition.com. As a side note, my primary insurance did not pay for my surgery. It was not a benefit; excluded without exception...but that insurance paid for all my supplies. I only had a $20 copay. I paid $100 for 4 cases of these shakes through Amazon but only a $20 copay through insure nutrition using my insurance. Please check into it. They answer the phone when you call or will call back promptly. Good luck!