Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At over four months, found out I was taking my supplements all wrong...

So, did my four 1/2 month Gastric Bypass checkup with the bariatric clinic. All good, good blood tests etc, but discovered via the PA that I was taking my Vitamins and Calcium citrate supplements wrong. I was using three "One a Day" Vitamins plus a little Iron pill (because I had them prior to surgery, they are expensive and wanted to use them up) and four calcium citrate tablets a day, taking them at the same time three times a day. WRONG! First, taking the Vitamin and the calcium citrate together negates the Calcium absorbtion (the Iron hurts the calcium); second, with Gastric Bypass, the pouch does not have enough acid to dissolve the hard Vitamin or the calcium tablet; and third, was taking them too close to meals.

So now, I chew the calcium tablets when I take them at approximately 6 am, 10am, 4 pm, and 8 pm. I take the vitamin (crushed using a mortar and pestle, but switching to Bariatric Plus Ultra with iron, a capsule which dissolves in the pouch) at 8 am, 2 pm, and 10 pm. These times keep me an hour away from meals.

I am trying to get a routine established for these supplements, but whew! alot to remember. I put the calcium in a separate daily pill container, and the vitamins in with my regular meds in a daily am and pm pill container.

Ever thought of using a Calcium powder? Comes unflavored and you can add it to anything or flavored. the flavored ones make a pretty good addition to a glass of Water. Not expensive either if you look around. It is a lot to keep up with.

When I took the Citracal's (Calcium Citrate) tablets, I failed to read the label and the dosage was based on consuming 2 tablets. Therefore at my first appointment with the nutritionist, she pointed out the error of my ways.

I put the Citracal's in a small bowl and take them throughout the day, spacing them around 2 hours apart. I take two at a time. (Therefore I don't have to remember how many I have taken. I just load up the bowl first thing in the morning.) I found out that a few months after surgery I was again able to swallow the large tablets whole without crushing them. That made life a lot easier.

I take my Iron tablets and Flintstone Multivitamins that contain Iron at night just before bedtime. That way I don't get them mixed up. Also because I have milk (which contains calcium) during the day, it also doesn't conflict.

So, did my four 1/2 month Gastric Bypass checkup with the bariatric clinic. All good, good blood tests etc, but discovered via the PA that I was taking my Vitamins and calcium citrate supplements wrong. I was using three "One a Day" Vitamins plus a little Iron pill (because I had them prior to surgery, they are expensive and wanted to use them up) and four calcium citrate tablets a day, taking them at the same time three times a day. WRONG! First, taking the Vitamin and the Calcium citrate together negates the calcium absorbtion (the Iron hurts the calcium); second, with Gastric Bypass, the pouch does not have enough acid to dissolve the hard Vitamin or the calcium tablet; and third, was taking them too close to meals.

So now, I chew the calcium tablets when I take them at approximately 6 am, 10am, 4 pm, and 8 pm. I take the vitamin (crushed using a mortar and pestle, but switching to Bariatric Plus Ultra with iron, a capsule which dissolves in the pouch) at 8 am, 2 pm, and 10 pm. These times keep me an hour away from meals.

I am trying to get a routine established for these supplements, but whew! alot to remember. I put the calcium in a separate daily pill container, and the vitamins in with my regular meds in a daily am and pm pill container.

The vitamin scheduling/spacing had been the most mind boggling part of this journey. My schedule is

5:30am synthriod

7:00am multi

930am calcium

130 pm calcium

530 pm calcium

730 pm multi

3 times a week I fit in B12 and once a week Vitamin D. I use different times on the weekends since I don't wake as early.

I'm amongst always shifting my times because I started later than scheduled. I try not to take anything around my meals, but don't stress about it if I do.

When I took the Citracal's (Calcium Citrate) tablets, I failed to read the label and the dosage was based on consuming 2 tablets. Therefore at my first appointment with the nutritionist, she pointed out the error of my ways.

I put the Citracal's in a small bowl and take them throughout the day, spacing them around 2 hours apart. I take two at a time. (Therefore I don't have to remember how many I have taken. I just load up the bowl first thing in the morning.) I found out that a few months after surgery I was again able to swallow the large tablets whole without crushing them. That made life a lot easier.

I take my Iron tablets and Flintstone Multivitamins that contain Iron at night just before bedtime. That way I don't get them mixed up. Also because I have milk (which contains calcium) during the day, it also doesn't conflict.

You might want to double check the CitraCal label. I haven't found a CitraCal with calcium citrate. It's a carbonate. Even the pharmacist had it wrong. The name is misleading.

If you have found one that is citrate, please post a pic of the label. I was hoping to use those because they are readily available and less spendy.

Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate Vitamins have a a yummy Calcium chew. chocolate, caramel and lemon. They are delish!!!

Yes, Citracal makes calcium citrate too. They have a large sz and petites! ;)

My program has a little schedule in our book of the times to take you meds. It is based on getting the Vitamins the doctor prescribed but it was thoroughly explained to us to take the vitamins apart. It is hard to remember. I have to set reminders on my phone to keep it straight.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

This is what our suggested schedule is like.

Also don't feel bad. I realized at 3 weeks I had been taking a 1/2 dose of Calcium the whole time. I thought the dose was 1 tablet 2x a day, but it was 2 tablets 2x a day.

post-255228-14415564746275_thumb.jpg

The way I understand my recommendations, I take my C and Iron together at a time I am not eating any dairy/calcium. The rest I take at other times. I take some with my meds in the morning and then the rest around the time of another meal.

I also will be taking my 3 antidepressants in addition to my bariatric medications. I hope I'm able to d/c the cholesterol meds and Metformin. I'm really concerned how in the world will I get all these meds in?

My program drilled into us that the calcium citrate and Iron cannot be taken together as they cancel each other out. I never had to take a separate iron pill but I still wait at least 2 hours before taking my Calcium so the little bit in my multi doesn't cause problems.

James, do you think the Calcium pills dissolve ok with just swallowing and not chewing? I use Citracal petites, but worry that they are not dissolving in the pouch.