Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help -Tylenol Doesn't Help Me!

I am 7 weeks post-op RNY. I have been having a lot of mid-back pain since my surgery on July 15. In fact, the night of my surgery I had to keep calling the nurse because I was in so much pain from my back area, more so than the incision areas even. I don't think I noticed the pain as much the first few weeks because I still had liquid pain medication at home to take and to be honest, I took it for other aches and pains besides the incision pain. When I went for my 6-week post-op appointment with the surgeon yesterday I mentioned to him about all of the back pain and asked if it could be something from the surgery. He said that he didn't think it had anything to do with that and I told him that I had been taking Tylenol but it just wasn't cutting it. He asked me if I had seen a chiropractor and I told him no. He suggested that so I made an appointment with one this morning but can't get in until September 10. He also sent a prescription over to the drugstore for Celebrex, but my insurance company is balking at paying it since it would be $833 for the generic for 180 pills (not sure why he ordered 180 - seems like a lot to me). So, I am not able to get that until the insurance and the doctor can resolve this. Apparently he can contact them and explain why I need to have this. I went over to Walgreen's and looked at the Tylenol Arthritis Strength but it is time released and I was told that we can't have time release meds anymore. God, I miss my Ibuprofen!!!!! Any advice on this? I am in so much back pain right now that I can hardly sit in my chair at work. Thanks in advance for any input.

I would make an appt with your primary care doctor to rule out something else going on. I use Sombra for acute pain and it is very effective for me. You can usually find it at chiropractors offices. It has menthol, capsaicin, and it has a pleasant orange scent. http://www.sombrausa.com/warm-therapy

I was very dependent on Advil before the surgery so I literally feel your pain. I'm doing hot and cold packs along with Tylenol.

My hope is that with further weight loss, my back pain will decrease and I won't miss the Advil so much.

I'm interested in hearing how others have dealt with this issue.

Right after surgery, the surgeon generally restricts the use of many types of supplements and over the counter medicines. As time progresses, many of these restrictions are lifted. Have you checked with the surgeon's office to see if at 7 weeks post-op if they would let you use Ibuprofen?

Is your back pain your only symptom? Did you have a history of back pain prior to surgery? At least one of the complications from surgery has a symptom of back pain.

I don't know. Ibuprofen is an NSAID, and those have a well-known tendency to cause ulcers in WLS patients.

Refer here:

https://asmbs.org/patients/life-after-bariatric-surgery

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/life_after_bariatric_surgery/

http://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/treatments/pharmacological/non-opioids/ask-expert-nsaids-after-bariatric-surgery

http://barimd.com/universityofmiami/15/295

Just google around and you will see there is a clear consensus that NSAIDs are seriously dangerous for gastric bypass patients.

NSAIDS are a lifetime no after WLS because they can cause ulcers. Think of it this way, if you take NSAIDS before WLS, you have all of that room in your stomach for an ulcer to form, and they are painful. In your pouch, approximately the size of an egg, the ulcer can coat the entire thing. Speak with your PCP about alternative solutions. Good luck!

My life saver is a really hot electric heating pad!

I am very freaked about having to give up my NSAID's. Tylenol has never been an effective pain reliever for any ache, ever. So, I don't know what will happen after surgery. I wish you luck on finding something that works.

I was upset when I was told I would not be able to take anti inflammatories. So I called the program and was told I could continue with Celebrex if I took either omeprazole or Prilosec . If I could not continue Celebrex then I would not be able to have WLS

My primary doc gave me Tramadol. It helps a lot! Stay away from NSAIDS you'll get an ulcer

@@coltsfan I am a believer in listening to our doctors, but I do have to point out that all of the literature I have seen says very strictly no NSAIDS at all, ever. Very high likelihood of ulcers in RNY patients. Just google around and you will see lots of reputable sources.

I had a lot of back pain at first. Tylenol didn't do much for me either. I found that going to a chiropractor helped a lot so that is definitely something to try.

I wold be careful taking Celebrex. I was told I can not take it for my knees anymore. It is a NSAID drug and can cause ulcers so if you are going to take it, be careful

I had my gastric bypass surgery in August of 2005. I do not remember exactly when I started taking Advil and Aleve again. I know I was taking it at 2 years post surgery. I also take 2 time release medicines. I have never had any complications. I see a regular family doctor who knows I have had gastric bypass surgery. Every time she tells me to take something or prescribes me something I remind her of the surgery and ask if it is ok. I take Advil and Aleve a lot, a few times a month. If Tylenol is not working for you ask your doctor, try something else.

I use hot and cold packs that I make myself, using rice and different aromatherapy. I used to sell them on etsy but the shipping was to high.

You should be able to find really good ones at local arts and crafts fairs and places like that. They make a huge difference. I sleep with three a night.