Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing up a lot, need advice

I hope this is not too gross, but I have been throwing up a lot in recent days. I am seven weeks out, and am eating all regular food, having recently given up Protein shakes bc I hate them and think I am doing ok getting my Protein in. I do add Protein powder to a few foods. Generally I do pretty well, but perhaps once a day I throw up after eating. This happens most when I go to restaurants--even though I am not eating all that much.

The problem I am having is that I regularly throw up from (I guess) eating too much. This happened this morning when I had sliced turkey and cheese for Breakfast. I weighed my food (2 oz. turkey, 1 oz cheese) but could not finish it and ended up throwing up a ot of it, after I was so pleased with myself for getting 19 grams of protein for breakfast. I think I ate too fast.

So, my question is (gross as it is) how do I log this? Do I pretend I never ate it? I am sure I absorbed some calories from the food, but certainly not all. I don't want to pretend that I actually got 19 grams of protein when much of it did not stay down.

I probably need to eat a lot, lot slower. But when this happens, any advice about how to log this--eaten or not eaten, half credit? Something else?

@ - so is your problem that you don't want to vomit or is your problem how to log the calories that you vomitted so you can eat some more? 1. Slow down: 2 oz of turkey and 1 oz of cheese may be quite too much if you have a 2 oz stomach perhaps need to slow it down to 1 oz of turkey and 1 oz of cheese - over a few minutes - try to split that up into as many bites as you can - I'm guessing you could get three bites of each - three minutes apart 2. Most other posters I see on here say once you throw up its best to go back to liquids for the rest of the day to let your tummy recover 3. If its actually nausea that's causing you to vomit then think about zofran or some other anti-emetic. Also, while you should follow what your NUT and Dr. recommend, guidelines vary and I am not allowed to start solids until 8 weeks out. So if you are on solids that does not mean you have to be on ALL solids. Maybe try solids for lunch and dinner (2 oz at a time) and go back to mushies for Breakfast and liquid "snacks" if your plan allows for between meal snacking. As I have not experienced first hand yet, but seen on these boards...just because your NUT says you can advance to try eating chicken, does not mean your stomach is ready to handle chicken. So maybe start with 1 oz. and if that works try 2 oz the next time. If you barf after 3 oz then sounds like yes you are eating too much. My NUT also advised that I should not be using my stomach as a measuring cup, but rather measure my portions in advance according to the guidelines they set. I am the first one to admit that I do not stick to the serving size for pureed Soups. I can eat 8 or more oz of Soup, which scares me a little, but even with that I'm still within 800 calories. If you need to supplement your Protein there are other things besides "shakes" if you hate them. Fairlife milk, greek yogurt, etc. I hope this helps.

I'm not sure if you're eating too much...maybe too fast. I'm sorry you're going through this. Instead of measuring and counting everything...just eat until you're full. That could be one slice of turkey one day and three the next. Some days your belly is just more sensitive. Good luck. ????

Thanks for the advice, all. I don't think I am eating too much. I did not get close to finishing my food today, and it is an amount that I've eaten on several occasions without trouble. My doctor specifically advised me to weigh food, and I do that regularly. But I do think I am eating too fast. I have been pretty inconsistent about taking it slow, and I tend to throw up when I eat too quickly.

But I actually wanted to know the question (gross as it is) that I asked. If I throw up, do I log any of the food on MFP? It seems like if I don't write it down, I am not counting some calories. But if I log it all, I am giving myself credit for more Protein than I should. So, not sure how to do that.

But I do get that stopping the barfing is far better than figuring out how to log it. Thanks, all

Mary