Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned about excess skin

Ok. So. I'm super concerned about excess skin. Probably more than I should be. Maybe I'm obsessed.

What does it feel like? Does it get in the way of... Adult Things? I get like little rashes under my fat rolls now if I sweat a lot and don't dry myself enough will that be worse with excess skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, channel that obsession towards your weight and its corresponding negative effects on your health, both physical and emotional, whether those effects are in the present or will make themselves known to you in the future.

Next, excess skin doesn't really feel like anything unless you have vigorous movement with impact and you can feel it slapping around. Some of the vets will tell you, you'll get rid of the chub rub but you'll get flap slap. So, I wear compression shirts and capris when I work out and that takes care of that problem.

Does it get in the way of adult things? No more than rolls of fat do, in fact less so. Depending on how much weight you have to lose, you'll probably find sex more acrobatic, adventurous, and satisfying than before.

For some people the rashes do get worse.* If that turns out to be you, document it religiously and visit your doctor. For one thing, your doctor can help you. For another, doctor visits and documentation may prove helpful in getting your insurance company to approve plastic surgery, since your (theoretical) excess skin is (theoretically) causing medical issues.

And finally, if you believe it is really going to bother you, get serious about a hardcore savings plan so that you will be able to afford plastic surgery in the event that your insurance won't cover it, or won't cover everything you need.

Although it is hardly a good thing, excess skin is, for the most part, a cosmetic problem that you can find solutions for. Obesity, not so much. From someone on the other side -- the excess skin is worth it, at least for me.

*note -- this is true for some people, not all. I have a fair amount of excess skin and my rashes are much better, verging on non-existent, than they were when I weighed 180 lbs more than I do now.

I'm kind of confused. Your profile says your surgery was in Nov. 1999?

I don't know how to change it. Im on tapatalk. I'm pre op.

Edited by tssiemer

I'm kind of confused. Your profile says your surgery was in Nov. 1999?

I see that on a lot of profiles here, so it looks like bug in the system, or perhaps a default if no other date is put in? Alex?

concerned about excess skin

@@tssiemer

i would rather be thin :)

than worry about "excess" skin :rolleyes:

concentrate on the good results during weight loss

don't dwell/fret over bad side effects from WLS

you are pre-op :rolleyes:

best wishes with surgery :)

good luck

kathy

concerned about excess skin

@@tssiemer

i would rather be thin :)

than worry about "excess" skin :rolleyes:

concentrate on the good results during weight loss

don't dwell/fret over bad side effects from WLS

you are pre-op :rolleyes:

best wishes with surgery :)

good luck

kathy

I love reading your replies @@proudgrammy !! You give some great advice !!

I think about excess skin, however, I'm going to focus on losing the weight first. Then I'll focus on excess skin. First things first (for me)! :)

I don't know how to change it. Im on tapatalk. I'm pre op.

Visit bariatric pal through your safari browser, sign in as usual and choose "full version" at the bottom of the page. Up at the top select the settings wheel and go to your profile and edit your info. ????

On the topic at hand... It worries me too. I've been told that there isn't a fix all but to make sure we are increasing the Water intake and adding Gelatin in our diet. It's said to help with the elasticity in the skin. I'm going to try it, it won't hurt anything :)

love reading your replies @@proudgrammy !!

@@shellyd67

thanx bud :blush:

my crossover addiction is "frequently"coming to this board

love reading and writing here on bariatric plan

(less carbs and sugar :D )

keeps me off the street, out of trouble ("usually" :D )

you've lost 31 lbs!!!!

keep up the good work :rolleyes:

i know you will :)

good luck :rolleyes:

kathy

congrats

I'm also concerned with excess flabby skin (mostly just under my arms) but I think if you do a workout that incorporates some weight training and drink Water, you'll be alright. If that doesn't work you could always save up for a body lift? Speak to your doctor about what you could do :)

I'm with Babbs. I'd rather be thin w excess skin then "morbidly obese" w firmer skin.

it seems easier to camouflage excess skin than to try and hide....oh...90 pounds. I lived with the skin for years and saved my pennies to deal with it. That was a luxury. Weight loss was for health and a great normal life!

Everyone seems to worry about excess skin yet doesn't seem to understand that if you were really big before surgery that you will likely need plastic surgery to remove the excess skin after your weight loss. There's no need to have to spend the rest of your life carrying around all that extra skin. Depending upon your specific situation, you may need a Tummy Tuck or even a full body tuck, not to mention arms and legs. For me, I will be getting a tummy tuck and my chest done.