Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doesn't it get annoying?

Every time I tell someone about getting the surgery, they give me this look and say, are you sure you want to do this? And proceed to give me reasons why I shouldn't get it. I mean I'm not telling everybody because I learned that lesson when I told my best friend but I had to see a doctor and get a physical today and even she gave me the look and questioned me! It just gets old! I've thought about this for years and this is the best decision for me. Why do people feel the need to try to change my mind?

I purposely didn't tell anyone I work with about the surgery for that very reason. People can really be judgmental and give opinions that aren't welcome. There is nothing easy about loosing weight this way. The first 2 months were very difficult but so very worth it. Hang in there!

I am not telling anyone else. I've told my HR, my direct supervisor and a couple friends (who are happy for me). However, I have told a couple people at work and they say "What?, What is that?". Seriously!

Right now I am feeling a bit down, I don't know why....sipping on my Syntrax Fuzzy Naval!

I wish today was OVER!

i guess i have been really lucky. everyone i have told has been really supportive, either that, or we just discuss it. No one has given me that crazy look. I guess they know me well enough; when I am set on something no one can change my mind.

I'm sorry to say this but if you don't want to hear negative things or peoples various opinions do not tell anyone once you put the info out there they are going to feel they can voice their views on your decisions I understand u aren't asking their opinion or approval however it never stops those who wish to rain on your parade so to speak perhaps if you feel comfortable enough just say what you want to say and then say I've made this decision for my health with a dr no negative or unsupportive comments will be acknowledged thank you

As someone else has said, that's why I didn't tell almost anyone, or post on Facebook. I just told my mother today (I'm having surgery on Sep 1) and she started saying, "Well, have you tried..." and I stopped her and said, "I'm not interested in debating this. You know me. I have researched and thought and studied, and this is what I'm doing."

I feel you. It's almost like we have to defend our decision. Most of the people I did tell were so happy for which me, which told me they know I'm big. Few people were trying to talk me out of it. Didn't listen, 13 days out : ))

Who cares what they say. Don't tell anyone unless you want to. I've told who I wanted, everyone else will just have to wonder.

I keep getting everyone who has failed with bariatric surgery thrown at me. My reply....well they are a prime example of someone that thought surgery was a fix all and didn't do their part.

That's not me*.

I completely understand not telling everybody. Because like I said, I learned from my mistake from telling my best friend. I was just annoyed that a doctor was trying to talk me out of it! If you can't talk to your doctor who can you talk to?

What I find funny is that when I expressed interest in breast augmentation, my significant other, family, and friends were so encouraging and supportive about me improving my self-esteem.

When I mentioned my weight loss surgery plans, you'd think I'd get the same encouragement and support, right? NO!

I guess people just don't understand weight loss surgery as a whole, hence the negative backlash against us.

I just had a long conversation with one of my coworkers today about it and my decision to pursue the surgery. She was so excited for me and said that she knew I would do really well. I usually get that reaction though. My approach is that I say that I have completed the six month medically supervised diet and exercise portion to get insurance approval and that I'm working with a bariatric surgeon to complete the rest of the evaluations and tests to be able to schedule surgery. And I say that I am proud of myself for taking control of my health. That's all it takes for me to get thru to a person.

I completely understand not telling everybody. Because like I said, I learned from my mistake from telling my best friend. I was just annoyed that a doctor was trying to talk me out of it! If you can't talk to your doctor who can you talk to?

I had a doctor that refused to help me lose weight. I asked her to send me to a nutritionist and she refused. (Just follow a low fat diet was her answer) I told her I wanted weight loss surgery and she said "you don't weigh enough". I found a new doctor. I spoke to my nut about this and she said a lot of PcPs are not educated about bariatric surgery and how it works. If my doctor was educated she would know that my comorbilities Trumped my weight.

suprisingly everyone i have told has been super supportive and on board helping me get to appointments since i dont drive and helping me sort out the Vitamins and keeping me honest about my new diet i love my support system i cant wait to lose all this weight and go work out at the gym with my friend rick i would love to have his abs

As someone else has said, that's why I didn't tell almost anyone, or post on Facebook. I just told my mother today (I'm having surgery on Sep 1) and she started saying, "Well, have you tried..." and I stopped her and said, "I'm not interested in debating this. You know me. I have researched and thought and studied, and this is what I'm doing."

Trinn, you are my new hero! I'm going to do that too from now on...if someone starts in on me, I'm just going to stop them in their tracks. I'm NOT debating this! I'm just letting you know!!! :)

Heh! My current annoyance is a friend of mine who has a friend on the other side of the country who had WLS like, 3 months ago. While my friend is sort of supportive, he keeps acting like he knows better than I do because his other friend has had WLS. And that other person, well, she's been off work for 2 months, or something, and had a lot of problems and complications. So when I talking about the future or my expectations, he says, 'Oh, no, that's not likely, you will probably..." and then whatever his ONE friend experienced. He thinks I won't be able to go back to classes two weeks after surgery -- all I do is sit, because my classes are all in the same room in the same building -- or that I won't ever be able to eat this or that food that is entirely reasonable to have in small portions. I want to be like, "Your friend has not made you an expert! STFU!" But I'm too polite.