Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you added a medical bracelet to your life

Is anyone wearing a medical ID after gastric sleeve??? Pros or cons??

Where can we get those ?

I'd like one!

Yes. I got a nice rubber Bracelet with a bariatric medal on it. Looks incognito.

Where did u find that ? How cool !!

This is the one I got:

http://www.americanmedical-id.com/product/womens-stainless-steel-expansion-band-73

They engrave three lines, so mine has my name, gastric sleeve, no NG.

A clasp opens to hold a piece of paper that you can put other ID and medical info on.

I have worn a medical ID Bracelet for about 2 years because I take a blood thinner & allergic to penicilian. I got my bracelet from Amazon. It is a silver expansion bracelet & I can add to it. They now have a link that says "sleeve" on it & I need to get it. I love this bracelet.

I have a RoadID Bracelet. It has 2 emergency contacts plus that I am a verticle sleeve and my surgeon's 800 number. I travel a lot for business and I fox chase with people that know my name but would not know my emergency contact information. I have a few band colors. I am planning on getting more.

I am not as good about wearing it every day.

I am thinking of getting one of the slim ones for everyday use with the VSG info and 1 emergency contact.

I ordered mine today ????

Is this something that has been recomended to you? I have never heard of getting a medical Bracelet for the Sleeve. What would be the reason behind this? I have never had any kind of medical emergency and i do not travel often, so I may just be out of the loop and this is something we all should be doing.

My surgeon recommended a medical Bracelet since with the sleeve you need to be careful with certain medical procedures. I think a stomach tube in particular. If they don't realize you had the sleeve they may accidently puncture your stomach as they expect the pouch there.

Edited by NikkiDoc

You can be in car accident or get hit by a car or anything that would relate to you bring unconscious and they may have to put a NG TUBE in you. This will rupture your sleeve and cause you serious damage. The medical Bracelet will let any healthcare facility know that you have the sleeve and not to do the NG TUBE

Thank you for the responses! Wow, I never thought of any of that. Other then i my weight i have been extreally healthy my entire life and have never even broken a bone, so this is compleately foreign to me. I will have to look into getting one.

Accidents might result in a tracheal tube to help with your breathing, but that goes into the lungs, not the stomach. There is no reason an EMT is going to give you an emergency stomach tube to start feeding you on the roadside or in the ambulance.

A NG tube in the case of emergencies is to suction gastric contents. I put them in routinely, and seriously see no issues with putting it in on a sleeved patient. I will research it, and ask a few ER doctors their thoughts about it.