Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so it's been almost 5 years since my lapband surgery. I haven't been on this forum in probably a year. I had been doing pretty well with slow loss but no gain. The last 6 months have been a struggle. I have gained 15 lbs. in the last few months. I can eat a 6 inch subway sub WITH BACON with no problem (an probably more if I wanted to). I have 9 cc in my 10 cc band. I had a fill about 2 months ago because I was over eating and felt like I no longer had restriction. It helped but only for a couple of weeks? I do not eat slow or chew my food as much as I should. I can't chug liquids, but I still feel like something is going on. I remember when 4 bites of food would fill me up. Now, I am back to my pre-surgery portions. I should have the will power to eat less, but obviously I don't and I have relied on the band. I'm not exercising, which is my laziness and I know what I need to do there. I am getting to the maximum level that I can with my band. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm getting frustrated and do not want to gain anymore weight! Help!

Are you sure you have 9cc in a 10cc b and?

When was the last time you've seen your Dr.....my Dr pulls out all the Fluid with a empty syringe, measures it, checks color, etc.

If it's the same as last time, then no leaks. And discoloration, well that's another story.

He then re-fills the band with same amount of fresh saline.

If you are overeating, eating large portions, you have no restriction. Restriction will prevent you from doing that.

I can NEVER overeat, even if I tried (and I have tried)

Either you do not have 9cc's in your band, or you are having other issues I will not venture to quess to a stranger.

Either way, go see your Dr. for answers. Something is not correct.

As B-52 said, go see your Dr. ! Something is not right if you can eat that whole Subway sandwich . It has nothing to do with "willpower " , it has to do with your band, fill , etc. You may need help from your Dr, in the band dept, but you and you alone are in charge of eating slow, chewing well and exercising. If you're "frustrated " because of this problem, ask yourself what CAN you do about it, and then see your Dr. for what you CAN'T do about it. Good luck !!

Thank you both. I will make an appointment with my doctor. He has only taken the saline out one time (ever) to check for leaks. I don't even feel like I have a band most of the time. :(

I too am five years out and have gained most of the weight back. I have not had a fill in a long time. The last time I saw my surgeon he asked if I had restriction on anything and I said that when I eat bread or steak or crackers they can get stuck. He said that means it is working. However, I can eat large meals with no problem and am always hungry in-between meals, so I don't understand how the band is supposed to help me lose weight. It is frustrating and I need to try and start over, but if I tell my doctor some foods get stuck, he won't fill any more. I think I am at a 6 or 7cc.

Well, I just called to schedule an appointment with my doctor and was told that I need to go to the behavior modification groups first and then see how it goes. I know that my head isn't in the mind set that it once was, but I also do not feel like I am getting the help from the band like I used to. But, I agreed to go to the group and see what happens. I know I have to put more effort into it so that I do not gain any more weight. It is just frustrating to feel this way.

MissyMH- It sounds like you could use a fill. Just getting stuck on bread and steak is NOT restriction. I had real restriction in the past. That was when I would get full after a few bites of food and not get hungry in between meals...

I would probably still get stuck on steak. I also can't take big pills. But that is just the band being there. It isn't doing what it used to do.

@@hokiemama

All the behavior modification in the world wouldn't have helped me. Years and years of bad habits and overeating weren't going to be changed by listening to some nutritionist.

I have had my band for 6 years now. At first it was amazing. A couple of bites and I was done...finished eating! Lost 90 pounds in the first few months.

Then after several months, I noticed I had no restriction.....I could eat anyting I wanted. And I did one day. Stopped in a fast food resturant and had the largest burger they had on the menu.....and ate the WHOLE thing in minutes. I knew something wasn't right. Why wasn't my band stopping me from this? I continued to go to my surgeon and get some small "blind" adjustments....back before he used FLUOROSCOPY. I was so mad and frustrated I was eating everything in sight and gaining weight like no tomorrow. I got so discouraged that I didn't even go back to my surgeon for over a year (BIG MISTAKE on my part!)

When I finally had gained back over half what I had lost, I went back to my surgeon. He had started using FLUOROSCOPY for all band adjustments. My band had come undone....unbuckled! I was the first one (out of over 1000 patients at the time) that had occured to. Lucky me huh? :)

My surgeon corrected it asap and my band has worked as designed ever since.

Sorry for such a long post, but I agree with the others who've responded. Something is not up to snuff with your band or the adjustment level. And no amount of behavior modification will correct that. I'd be very blunt in finding and getting in to see a surgeon who will look at everything. "Look" being the key word.

Best wishes!

@@catfish 87

Thank you for your support! That sounds a lot like what I am experiencing. The surgeon who placed my lapband did all fills under Flouroscopy, but he retired and the new doctor does not. So I haven't had the fluoroscopy in 2 years. Behavior Modification group may help me to try to make better choices, but obviously I had surgery because I was an over eater and made bad choices. The band was keeping my portions under control and now it isn't. The nutritionist said I shouldn't rely on the band to control my portions, I should do that. Well, then what's the purpose of the band???

I may look for another doctor because I do not want to gain any more weight. I was less than 20 lbs. from my goal and now I am almost 35 lbs. away from it. I'm going the wrong way...

Thanks again for the post. It is helpful to hear what others have gone through.

I too am five years out and have gained most of the weight back. I have not had a fill in a long time. The last time I saw my surgeon he asked if I had restriction on anything and I said that when I eat bread or steak or crackers they can get stuck. He said that means it is working. However, I can eat large meals with no problem and am always hungry in-between meals, so I don't understand how the band is supposed to help me lose weight. It is frustrating and I need to try and start over, but if I tell my doctor some foods get stuck, he won't fill any more. I think I am at a 6 or 7cc.

no offence but the doctor is not going to fill your band if you say food is getting stuck, but its suppose to get stuck that's what makes the band work. they are not going to tell you this, but: if you want to be successful the band needs to be tight, your should only be able to eat about the size of a hard boiled egg at sitting, then you should be full for a few hours. only liquids should go down without a problem when slowly sipped. no eating and drinking at the same time.

Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to schedule an appointment with my surgeon!