Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Longest Weight Loss Plateau

Hey all,

I'm 4 months out from my gastric bypass surgery, and my weight loss has really slowed down. (I haven't lost any weight in the past two weeks). I was wondering if a plateau this long is normal, or if I might be done losing weight. Any thoughts?

Nope, you're not done. As long as you are continuing to follow your plan, and maybe change things up a little, it will pass. The body just gets complacent after a while and likes to take a break. Either increase your calories or excerise, or change up your workout plan or activity and see if that helps.

The longest stall I had was at 6 months out. A month. A looong, agonizing month! I have also had several small ones since. Just a part of the process!

I stalled for a month. So frustrating and I thought what was I doing wrong? Nothing my body just needed some time to adjust and I also realized I was eating ENOUGH for as much as I worked out. So take that into consideration. I was only eat 400-500 calories a day and worked out 6 days a week and not some light jogging or walking either. So I upped my calories and really focused on getting the right types of food in and it broke my stall. Just hand in there. our body's our mysterious things

If you are following the plan, then your meal allotment has increased over the past 4 months. This gives you an option. Your total caloric intake is the calories that you get from meals combined with the calories from your Protein supplements (Protein shakes and Protein bars). If you are concentrating on eating high protein meals then at 4 months your protein intake from meals can offset some of the protein you obtain from supplements. Therefore you can reduce the total calories you are consuming by reducing some of your Protein Shakes.< /p>

That is what I did when I was 4 months post-op RNY and hit a stall. I dropped a Protein shake per day and the weight loss picked up again.

I have had some stalls (4 mos out now) but deal with them through not weighing frequently and just watching how my body is feeling, how loose the pants are, how easy it is to move... I do weigh now and then, probably average every two weeks, but I like others consider stalls as healthy little breaks from such rapid weight loss. 85# in four months, half the weight I have to lose, is alot of pounds. I just watch my Protein grams, drink alot of H2O, consider my calories, but just cruising and appreciating what RNY did for my body.

At 10 months post op I stalled for 28 long agonizing days. I hate stalls! Then suddenly things started picking up again but it is very very slow. 1 or 2 lbs per week.

As long as I am losing something, I am happy.

Stay the course, it will start up again.

Good luck!

I think my longest stall was 9 days. I didn't suffer from them too much.

I just looked back at my daily weigh-ins. And it looks like at around 4 months I started gaining a pound or two before losing 3 or 4 pounds. The graph looks like a ski slope with little moguls. (If that image helps.) :)

Prior to that it was pretty steady -- down or straight and then down.

This thing doesn't move in a straight line. At all.

All you can or should do is eat, drink, move, sleep and take your meds/vits/mins as you should. That is all. :)

For nearly three months, the scale didn't move. My body fat measurements with calipers showed I was losing fat, but scale didn't move until last week.

I always stall, then lose stall then lose. It's been my pattern since the beginning. Eventually you will break the stall.

I stalled at week 3, and now again at 4 months. The scales just tick me off right now, so I am going to shun them for a while. As long as I follow the plan, and eat the way I'm supposed to, drink my Water, and move......I'm not too worried. I know people who work out like a fiend, and they have stalls that last for MONTHS...with an "S"!! I move..walk and such. I try do do 5 miles a day. Just don't drink your calories. Protein first then veges. and DRINK YOUR WATER!! Y'all have a GREAT day!!

I am approximately 9 months post op and I'm now stalling more often than losing. I don't get too down about it because I've lost 100+ pounds already and when I do lose it's about 5 pounds all at once. For me, it's hard to know whether to increase Protein intake, calorie intake or exercise but usually I combine all three if my stall seems to go on for more than a few weeks at a time and finally...results. Hang in there.

someone told me to cut out dairy and that will help break the stall. That has seemed to hold true for me too. I need to cut out dairy for a week or so, so I can crank up the losing once again!