Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I'm weird and sometimes a little stupid, but I had to know

I am mostly a lurker and will add my opinion when it might differ from someone else's. That said, I love forum and all of the information that I've absorbed. I'm 15-days post op. I had a conversion from a stomach staple to a RNY. Before my surgery, I read everything I could and totally expected to have post op pain, issues with eating, and emotional days. This seems to the be the norm? Well, the day after surgery, the doctor came to see me and I asked him if they actually did something other than poke seven holes in me. He proved it later by having me take the standard "leak" x-ray. I saw the surgery and the pouch. I felt great - a little tired, but overall pretty good.

I had surgery on a Wed and went home Fri morning. The doctors and nurses were amazed at how I bounced back from the surgery. The next Monday, I started working every day from home. The following Monday, I'm back at work (I have a desk job). Yesterday, I walked two miles and this morning, I already have one mile under my belt.

I started my pureed diet yesterday and had a half cup of chili. I have had no issues with food tolerations whatsoever. I've also started enjoying yogurt - before my surgery, I hated yogurt. Now, I look forward to my yogurt and plan to have yogurt become a regular part of my diet.

Has anyone else had a great recovery? Oh...I just thought - I'm probably jinxing myself by writing this.

So now the stupid part. I would say that sweets, pastries, ice cream pretty much contributed to most of my weight gain. I'm an addict. Because I'm a diabetic (surprise!), my surgeon recommended the RNY surgery instead of the sleeve. This was good news to me because I knew that sugary foods caused dumping. From prior experience, I know that if a food makes me sick, I won't eat it - no matter how good it is. A week before surgery, I read that only 80% of people will dump. OH NO! My luck, I would be in the 20%. So, I had to test it out. I had to know! There was no getting around it. Did my research. I know that every meal should less than 10 grams of sugar. I found a candy with 14 grams of sugar. I didn't want to make myself too sick. I ate it.

Good News! I'm a member of the 80%! I felt sick to my stomach, there was some stomach discomfort, dizzy, light headed, and then I started sweating. I felt terrible! I still have the headache. I felt like - wow, if this little candy does this to me.....never again do I want to feel this way. And I know I got a small dose of what could happen. So I'm good. I know.

Will I tell the nut or RN at my next check up, probably not.

Ok, am I the only one who had to test it out?

No, you are not the only one to test it out. I sometimes get dumping syndrome and sometimes don't. It's enough that I try to stay away from these things as best I can but this past week I have been overindulging in all kinds of things with no adverse affect, which really bums me out. It's funny--I never used to stress eat but I do now and I hate that. The past week or so has been very stressful and I have been eating "things" that I shouldn't. The good thing is that the scale showed this and is putting me back on track because I don't want to gain any of this weight back.

I would advise to not test this out further. What will you do if you find things that don't make you sick? It's best to just assume it will make you sick.

But I'm so glad that everything else has been going so well for you!!

I think we all test it at some point or another. Unfortunately I am one of the folks that don't get sick from sugar at all. The only time I get sick is if I eat too much.

By the way, that is not fun either just in case you were wondering.

Those of us that don't get sick have to work harder to refrain from eating things we shouldn't. At first it is fairly easy because it just doesn't taste the same but down the road your taste begins to change and you can eat those things. Trust me, I know!

The best thing you can do is stay away. I wish I would have. Now I just have to make sure those foods don't make it past the front door.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. This morning, one of our vendors brought in donuts from this fabulous bakery. Just looking at them, the freshness of dumping over rode the desire to have a bite. This is a victory for me. My first NSV! I don't ever remember turning down a donut. Never. Ever. I'm the one who usually has seconds and thirds. GO ME!

DJMOR - sorry that you are in the 20%. I know it must be hard. I had told myself that if I was in the 20%, it would just mean that I have to fight harder. I am going to stay away! I am committed to this lifestyle change.

Experimentation is good because it can teach us, if we are open.

Having said this, I do have some concerns. Are you following the meal plan set out by your surgeon? You said that you had a half a cup of chili and that you are 15 days post-op RNY. According to the plan I was given, a half a cup at one meal kicked in at Month 4. During the first 4 weeks one is restricted to full liquids and a volume of 1/4 cup. Also the ground hamburger meat used in the chili doesn't become an option until week 9. meal plans will vary from one doctor to another. But I wonder if you are pushing it and as a result not gain the maximum benefit during the "Weight Loss" phase.

Hey Cheri,

Congrats! I felt really great right after surgery also, once I was past the no liquids by mouth thing in the hospital. I was up walking and feeling pretty normal right away. I DID end up having a bout of C-diff that really hit me at about a week post op. That was a bummer, but, I got over it quick and that was really the worst part of my recovery. I also did very well moving through the stages of eating. Just a couple of things I would caution you about...first, don't get to cocky too fast! I thought I was doing super great with my chewing and eating and a couple of times I got way too comfortable, forgot myself and had some bad regurgitation for a couple of days because of it. I was just eating too fast and trying too much too soon as far as food textures go. Also, I don't blame you for putting your hand near the flame with the dumping thing. I just would not ever try again because if you keep on trying, your body can slowly acclimate to sugar again and loose that reaction. If your a hard core sugar addict, don't even attempt more, you don't want to become immune! I'm glad to hear you are feeling so well and I hope your journey continues to be all smooth sailing!

i only get sick when i eat or drink too much. but i got the surgery prinarily to curb my overeating. i'm not a sweets person, so i haven't had too much trouble, but i loved my chips. i tried some, and the texture completely destroyed the desire lol

Experimentation is good because it can teach us, if we are open.

Having said this, I do have some concerns. Are you following the meal plan set out by your surgeon? You said that you had a half a cup of chili and that you are 15 days post-op RNY. According to the plan I was given, a half a cup at one meal kicked in at Month 4. During the first 4 weeks one is restricted to full liquids and a volume of 1/4 cup. Also the ground hamburger meat used in the chili doesn't become an option until week 9. meal plans will vary from one doctor to another. But I wonder if you are pushing it and as a result not gain the maximum benefit during the "Weight Loss" phase.

I find it amazing that we've all had the same surgery, yet we all have different guidelines/rules. I am following MY doctors plan to the letter, with the exception of my one experiment. I'm allowed 3/4 cup of food at this stage. I was given the green light on the chili as long as it was pureed to an applesauce consistently. Chili is on my list of approved foods. I am under the amount cap. So there is no need for concern.

I'm not pushing it. I'm following my plan.

Hey Cheri,

Congrats! I felt really great right after surgery also, once I was past the no liquids by mouth thing in the hospital. I was up walking and feeling pretty normal right away. I DID end up having a bout of C-diff that really hit me at about a week post op. That was a bummer, but, I got over it quick and that was really the worst part of my recovery. I also did very well moving through the stages of eating. Just a couple of things I would caution you about...first, don't get to cocky too fast! I thought I was doing super great with my chewing and eating and a couple of times I got way too comfortable, forgot myself and had some bad regurgitation for a couple of days because of it. I was just eating too fast and trying too much too soon as far as food textures go. Also, I don't blame you for putting your hand near the flame with the dumping thing. I just would not ever try again because if you keep on trying, your body can slowly acclimate to sugar again and loose that reaction. If your a hard core sugar addict, don't even attempt more, you don't want to become immune! I'm glad to hear you are feeling so well and I hope your journey continues to be all smooth sailing!

Thank you for your response. Now that my curiosity is quenched, I'm not about to do it again. The candy I ate so sweet I was almost gagging. I have no desire to do this again.