Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now that it's getting closer to go time I am starting to think about what I want to actually weigh. What do I really want my goal to be? In high school I was very active and athletic. I was never thin, but I was confident, healthy, and looked and felt great. I bounced between 155 and 170 mostly. Even that was never within a healthy weight range. At 5'4" I should be under 145 lbs to not be considered "overweight".

That said, I don't know where I truly want to be? On paper under 145, but I don't know what that looks like for me. I don't want to set my goal within the overweight bmi range, but I felt good at 155.

My Surgeon has no goal for me. My Dr doesn't either. It's up to me and I don't know which way to turn. Do I just go with it and see where I end up? If I don't have a goal will I not strive for a healthy weight range. If I have a goal and don't make it will I become depressed?

Anyone else in this state of confusion?

Edited by HopeandAgony

I'm 5'4 as well and haven't gotten to the point of thinking about my goal yet, still in pre surgery stages, with no date. I say whatever makes you feel good....but heck yeah 145 sounds wonderful !!! Best of luck to you.

Of course. It's a number. An arbitrary number. The actuality table of life insurance companies made up the "safe healthy weight" based on their study of longevity and weight not doctors. You could be 185 pounds and 10% body fat, or 140 and 30% body fat.

So don't sweat an arbitrary number. But if you learn how to use calipers, you can have a pretty good measure of your body fat and you will actually get some very good studies on what is the healthiest body fat to maintain.

Speaking from the other side of the surgery fence, I have struggled with this as well. What I eventually decided is to set my goal for 150 and then if I want to and am able to keep losing, then I will.

@@HopeandAgony

It is good to have short range and long range goals. It will help keep you motivated. Start out with a number that you are comfortable with. If you reach that goal and want to try an lower weight you can always change your goal number. The only person that has to be happy with your results is you. Focus on loosing weight, getting healthy and living life. Its only a number :P

My doctor also did not set my goal. As strange as this sounds I was excited to be in the "overweight" category. I'm now at a healthy BMI. I thought that would never be possible.

Best of luck to you,

Jenn

I set a goal of 160 for now. I would still be overweight but having been overweight all my life I cannot remember weighing 160 and it was probably as an early teen that I might have.

For me that is a lofty goal and I take it 10 pounds at a time. I have lost 80 pounds and am now focusing on 90 as my next goal. It keeps me focused and I get to have successes along the way.

I already know my weight for my height should be 135, so when I get to 160 I will adjust and go for the gusto!