Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At the very beginning (Or hello from a newbie.)

Hi there. I'm Beck. I'm 24 and from a tiny town in Illinois. I enjoy lots of hobbies especially arts, baking, researching medical things, and reading & writing. I love writing so much that I hope my final career can be as a historical fiction & fantasy author. I have a sweet pup named Riff who is a year old and whom I show in dog shows.

I've struggled immensely with my weight since I was young. I'm fortunate that despite both of my parents being snackers, comfort eaters, stress eater etc. I don't have this problem! I really only eat when I'm hungry. But... I really really don't like most of the foods that are "good for you foods" I'm so finicky about veggies and etc. There's almost -no- veggies that I like in a good for you way (i.e. I'm happy to eat broccoli if it's slathered with mayo in Pasta salad LOL but not cooked or raw without dip). I think this will be my biggest battle -- finding good for me foods I'm happy with. The other one will be Portion Control. Aside of liking mostly bad for me food... I like too much of it! (Though I think it'd help so much if my stomach was smaller so I felt full at a normal portion size instead of my stretched out stomach size!)

I started to consider WLS only a couple of weeks ago.

Initially when I first thought of the idea a couple of years ago, I wasn't interested because I got a very -negative- feeling about the Lap Band procedure from two family friends who had it done. They basically told me with any kind of WLS be prepared to cut all carbs, all sugars, and all pops out of your diet -absolutely- and -completely- forever. I know that I need more balance in the foods I eat and portion control but I'm not going to say that I'll never eat a piece of birthday cake again. I want to continue to enjoy the foods I like -- just with balance with healthier foods and healthier proprtions and a good exercise plan. I believe in moderation NOT deprivation. So I felt that if deprivation was the only way with WLS then I wasn't a good candidate.

Then I started looking online and found plenty of people who had a MUCH more moderate approach to things. When they had fully healed and figured out what foods their body could tolerate they found it was okay to introduce back their favorite foods as long as they kept portions in check and ate in a more balanced way than they did before.

And then I decided if it was possible to do this with simple portion control and incorporating more healthy foods... I was willing to give it a try. I have seen some people who are very adamant that balance and portion control are not enough to keep someone from going down the slippery slope and you should make a rule to avoid all "bad" foods or that it's fine to have a piece of pizza. Once a year!. Obviously there must be changes and I fully intend to follow my surgeon's advice to the T until I know exactly what I can tolerate and what I can't... and I have no intention of sabotaging my wonderful new tool.. but are there people out there like me who still regularly enjoy the foods they once loved - just in smaller portions and as part of a much more -balanced- diet? I can't be the only one...

Hi!

And yes everyones sleeve works diffrently, personally for me to lose i have to keep my carbs at 50g or less per day. Less if you want to lose faster I supposed. But I keep it 50g which some days I dont reach that amount. My dr said to eat my Protein first, and IF i have room i can have a veggie carb. bread is hard to eat so I rarely eat it , but I do love a toasted corn tortilla at least once or twice a week. I eat it because it is within my 50grams. You will be able to eat, again like you said its about moderation. I can still eat a whole cake I am sure, if i pick at it all day. In my mind I know I shouldnt so I dont. The sleeve doesnt fix or change the mind for sure. Its hard but not impossible to do and once you get started its easy to follow your drs plan. High Proteins first, lots of Water (sip all day) and low carbs. Good Luck!

I eat off my regular diet plan (which is high Protein, low carb, grain free, sweets-free, starchy veggie-free) on special occasions. And the special occasions have to be true special occasions, not "it's Friday," or "it's my neighbor's nephew's birthday." I don't eat foods off my plan on a regular basis, not even in moderation or small quantities or whatever you want to call it. So, I am not depriving myself completely, but I have to tell you that this would not work for me if I ate crap on a regular basis, no matter how small the quantities. I am sure others have different experiences. So I guess my answer might depend on what exactly you mean by "keeping portions in check" and "eating in a more balanced way."

I am certainly not at goal weight just yet but for me I know those unhealthy foods are a slippery slope. The quote that concerns me that you said is:

"Obviously there must be changes and I fully intend to follow my surgeon's advice to the T until I know exactly what I can tolerate and what I can't... and I have no intention of sabotaging my wonderful new tool"

I really do hope that you give this lifestyle an honest try and not just "until you can see what you can tolerate"...most plans are very realistic and are not NO carb but LOW carb. Yes you can on special occasions have a bite or two of cake at a party but know that for most a bite or two triggers cravings and reintroduces the angry head monsters who yell at you to eat more. For some even with the sleeve it can induce dumping and make you feel very sick.

For me I have had a bite or 2 of key lime pie since surgery, I am human and would never lie on here, what is the point? That being said I only had those bites after I had met my Protein and liquid goal for the day.

For me, before surgery, I lacked the discipline AND the ability to completely lose the weight before. Sure if I grazed all day I could eat more but I made a commitment to myself and my surgeon to follow the plan. I am having great success so why go back instead of forward. Every milestone I make gives me incentive to have more resolve to do it.

Everyone's journey is different and yours is yours alone but consider the reasons why you would want to eat things that have no nutritional value. When you can only eat small portions you will want to get the most bang for your nutritional buck. Lack of Protein can lead to serious issues if that is abused but of course if you must, have a bite of cake!

When I said I was going to follow instructions until I saw what I could tolerate, I meant that I wouldn't take a chance of trying to introduce any new foods or try -anything- off the diet plan until my stomach was completely healed. It was basically a reassurance that I'm aware that the post surgery period is super critical as you're re-learning things and letting your stomach heal. I was saying that someday I'm sure I'll have a bite of cake - but it's not going to be until I'm all healed and I've tried other foods etc etc. Mostly a reassurance that if I do try to introduce food off the diet it has to be -after- those critical stages. That's all I meant :)

I don't fear that I'll lose motivation or momentum to make this work for me.. I know that it's imperative that I make it work.. but part of making any lifestyle work for me is taking all the advice, all the information, all of what the doctors say, all of what the nutritionist says and making my own plan that truly works for me based on all the facts I have. I doubt it will be as strict as some, but I'm sure it'll be more strict than others :) I'm looking forward to having changes and being a healthier me! I'm looking forward to the journey :)

Why would I want to eat things that have no nutritional value? I'll be frank.. if we didn't want to eat things that had no nutritional value none of us would be here most likely. I don't want to pretend that the foods I love are going to become less appealing to me (at least immediately) because this surgery doesn't change the brain... and I feel like adding balance that I've never had and Portion Control that I've never had is a HUGE first step in changing lifestyles. At this point I really have NO balance in what I eat or in eating healthily so adding even a moderate change would be a huge huge thing in my world.

I am the kind of person where if I feel pressured I'll do the opposite.. so I know I'll have the most success if I allow myself to be more lax than some would be comfortable being. I know that's not for everyone. And PLEASE do not assume that because I'm young or because this is new for me that I don't.. know what I'm getting into or I don't have the right mindset for this surgery or anything.. I'm just a bit of a free spirit.. I don't like to be pinned down. And that often means I have to take all the information available to me and kind of.. make my own path I suppose. Absolutely this is serious to me it's my health and my future.. I know what a huge deal this is and that it's going to require big changes.. I just have to do it in my own way.. and I'll succeed :)

I'm sure some people would look at that and say "She's not serious enough.. she's going to fail." that's just how my brain works though.. and I'm extremely determined. And so far I've never failed at anything I was determined to achieve :) and this definitely won't be the first. I just.. march to my own tune some of the time. Do things my own way.

I suppose you can say I'm just a bit of an odd duck.. but I accept it. I've been that way my entire life and when I set my mind to something, I may have to accomplish it in my own way.. but I -will- accomplish it successfully :)

When I said I was going to follow instructions until I saw what I could tolerate, I meant that I wouldn't take a chance of trying to introduce any new foods or try -anything- off the diet plan until my stomach was completely healed. It was basically a reassurance that I'm aware that the post surgery period is super critical as you're re-learning things and letting your stomach heal. I was saying that someday I'm sure I'll have a bite of cake - but it's not going to be until I'm all healed and I've tried other foods etc etc. Mostly a reassurance that if I do try to introduce food off the diet it has to be -after- those critical stages. That's all I meant :)

I don't fear that I'll lose motivation or momentum to make this work for me.. I know that it's imperative that I make it work.. but part of making any lifestyle work for me is taking all the advice, all the information, all of what the doctors say, all of what the nutritionist says and making my own plan that truly works for me based on all the facts I have. I doubt it will be as strict as some, but I'm sure it'll be more strict than others :) I'm looking forward to having changes and being a healthier me! I'm looking forward to the journey :)

Why would I want to eat things that have no nutritional value? I'll be frank.. if we didn't want to eat things that had no nutritional value none of us would be here most likely. I don't want to pretend that the foods I love are going to become less appealing to me (at least immediately) because this surgery doesn't change the brain... and I feel like adding balance that I've never had and Portion Control that I've never had is a HUGE first step in changing lifestyles. At this point I really have NO balance in what I eat or in eating healthily so adding even a moderate change would be a huge huge thing in my world.

I am the kind of person where if I feel pressured I'll do the opposite.. so I know I'll have the most success if I allow myself to be more lax than some would be comfortable being. I know that's not for everyone. And PLEASE do not assume that because I'm young or because this is new for me that I don't.. know what I'm getting into or I don't have the right mindset for this surgery or anything.. I'm just a bit of a free spirit.. I don't like to be pinned down. And that often means I have to take all the information available to me and kind of.. make my own path I suppose. Absolutely this is serious to me it's my health and my future.. I know what a huge deal this is and that it's going to require big changes.. I just have to do it in my own way.. and I'll succeed :)

I'm sure some people would look at that and say "She's not serious enough.. she's going to fail." that's just how my brain works though.. and I'm extremely determined. And so far I've never failed at anything I was determined to achieve :) and this definitely won't be the first. I just.. march to my own tune some of the time. Do things my own way.

I suppose you can say I'm just a bit of an odd duck.. but I accept it. I've been that way my entire life and when I set my mind to something, I may have to accomplish it in my own way.. but I -will- accomplish it successfully :)

you actually might find foods that are currently appealing to you, aren't after surgery. Post surgery I have very little interest in junk foods. I was a big pizza fan, but I have no interest anymore. I know that bread hurts my stomach, so I don't even think about it. And I really don't crave any sugary foods. I might have something sweet (sugar free popsicle, sugar free pudding, 100 calorie frozen yogurt) once a week. And I don't feel like im missing out on anything else.

My biggest suggestion right now, is as you're starting the process, start doing research, checking out this site and others, to look into foods. You said you're a finicky eater. Nows the time to start figuring out what you do like that will be good after surgery, because the first year post surgery is critical. It's good to have a plan.

Congrats on the decision! We're all here to support you :)

Hi ScarletWitch! Thanks!

It would be shocking to me (though I'd be very happy!) if some of my favorite "bad for you foods" aren't so appealing to me after surgery! LOL would make things much easier since I've basically identified exactly why I'm overweight-- and it comes down to my portions being out of control (I stop when I'm full but my stomach is stretched so I'm not full for too long) So the surgery should help a lot with that.. and the other one is that I eat all the wrong things.. so .. LOL it would be incredibly helpful if the surgery had the effect of making me not be so interested in those pizza-like foods!

And yes! I'm going to start trying some new foods and seeing if I like them to help me out later on. That way I'll have some idea what to eat later.

Thanks for the support!