Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay - so I'm sure this has been discussed but when I did a search I didn't find a specific topic on it... so hopefully this isn't too repetitive. I'm only about 7 weeks out at this point and only recently have I started to be able to eat "real" food consistently rather than living on Protein drinks. There is a lot going on for me right now, and for the first time since the surgery I'm finding myself stress eating. Mind you it's a few bites of stress eating rather than any significant volume and my choices tend to be healthier because unhealthy stuff still doesn't sit well, but the behavior is still there and some day I will be able to handle Cookies again! I'd like to head off the behavior now. I am curious about strategies to deal with it that have worked for others. When I'm home (which is where I'm most susceptible anyway) I have started to try and catch myself and get onto my elliptical and spend a few moments moving rather than eating. It seems to help for a moment or two (until the next trigger) and maybe with practice it will solve the problem, but I'm wondering what works for others - If people could share their strategies I'd really appreciate the input. Thanks!

Here's what works for me:

1. No Cookies in the house. ;)

2. I plan 3 meals a day and at least 2 Snacks, which contain both Protein and carbs.

3. I plan my food for the whole day every morning in My Fitness Pal. If I change my plan or eat something different during the day I record it immediately -- and usually rejigger my day's plan to accommodate the change.

4. I eat my meals / Snacks about the same time every day.

5. I work really hard to get my 64 ounces of liquids in every day. Really hard.

6. Hot tea is more soothing than room temp or cold liquids.

7. Did I mention there are no Cookies in the house?

8. When I get the "munchy anxiety" I stand up up and walk around the house or the porch or outside for a few minutes. It helps calm me down.

9. I use breathing exercises (slowly in and out) to get myself back in the moment.

10. If I forgot to say it, we don't keep cookies in the house.

;)

I concur...

Purge your house of all temptation...

My fridge contains the following -

-Bottled Water

-Milk

-cheese pieces (they're SO yum)

-Frozen, homemade veg Soup, packed in the smallest containers I could find, yet I still get two or three serves per container.

-Frozen home made Pasta sauces, which I eat with no Pasta and are packed in the smallest containers I could find. These ones I only filled a third of the way but still find that I have leftovers.

-One frozen Mango'n'Cream Weiss bar that has been there for months and will be eaten if and when I feel I need something sweet.

My cupboard/pantry contains the following-

-Protein powders

-Soy sauce

-Peanut Butter (I have a very occasional spoonful)

That's pretty much it I think...

And it works for me!!

Edited by KindaFamiliar

Working out really helps me. But I need to get out of the house. Maybe go for a walk? I like to completely leave so sometimes I'll go to the gym. It helps to get as far away from food as possible when feeling that way. I also have kept one outfit from my high weight. It's honestly alot of inspiration to me when I try it on and see what's already changed. And that helps me refocus on why I'm doing this.

Hang in there! You can do this, and you deserve it. Losing weight brings on alot of emotions including stress. We have to work through it, but it's so going to be worth it when we hit of goals :)

Lol! So what I'm picking up from the subtext is no Cookies in the house.

Yes - controlling my environment and my meal plans seems to be really important. I have had a lot of people around recently so I haven't been able to control the food that's around as much but I can start doing that now that it's just me again. Exercise also sounds critical. I'm finally starting to be able to build exercise into my day regularly - and I'm excited by this as it's always been such a boost emotionally and energy wise. And I am now definitely going to keep a "fat" outfit to put on now! That is a brilliant idea!

What I'm concerned about is that even if I am paying attention to what I'm eating and how much etc, that food is still my first thought when I'm stressed or upset... or bored for that matter. I know that I need to get in front of that behavior before I get to the point where I actually can eat enough that will undermine my ability to keep losing. Taking a walk is an awesome idea. I kind of feel I need to build an arsenal of ideas and possibly also put a couple of signs on the pantry and fridge along the lines of "take a breath and take a walk."

rosepose, I completely share your concern. The habit of eating off-track will not magically change and I don't believe it will ever go away completely. My hope is that the surgery helps minimize the damage done (I'm hoping to find myself intolerant of ice cream for instance). I am seeing a therapist and that is helping. We talk about finding other ways to bring joy into my life and other ways to reduce stress or loneliness or despair. There are times when I feel so much built up anxiety from not eating I think I'm going to explode. But as was mentioned, breathing and getting back to the "now" is the only way I can cope. I know I can breathe my way through it to the other side. No Cookies in the house is a must. The only thing to snack on in my house is allowed foods.

Keeping on keeping on and keeping on coming back here helps. Find good supportive friends/family as well - and a good therapist helps too.

Find a safe haven that you can go to where food is not allowed. I have made my bedroom my safe haven. So my family knows when I retreat up there "away from the kitchen" it is to refocus my efforts. I pick up a book and read or I listen to some music for a few minutes to stop the craving and/or drink a glass of Water.< /p>

You guys have great suggestions. I have not been scheduled yet. I have to have a 2nd stress test to be cleared (pray for me). I'm also a stress eater. Stress eating has taken me from a healthy adult weight to where I am now. Since I know what my triggers are, I'm seriously considering counseling. I don't want to be a failure at this. I'm going to keep "bad" food out of the house. I love the suggestion about have a "safe haven" or "retreat." I'm going to do that as well. Thank you for the responses to the OP's questions. They are helping me as well. Be blessed, everyone.

Edited by prettyinPINKandGREEN

Here are some things you can do to keep your hands busy:

Paint your nails

Color in a coloring book

Clean your toilet

Water your plants

Make something -- Crochet, knit, or needle work

Write a letter

Journal

Take a walk

Organize your closet

Clean your sink

Take a shower or bath

Weed your garden

I am sure others have some more ideas for you.

One tip I learned in therapy is to make a list of things you can do instead of eating. Put each it on an individual slip of paper. Put the slips in a bag or jar. When you find the urge to eat something that isn't on your plan, draw a piece of paper and do whatever it says.

These are awesome ideas!

When you do this, do you feel hunger? Or is it just a response to this stress or head hunger? Because most of us can't feel hunger in the first year or so, I find it just helps to identify it is as head hunger and know that I'm not physically hungry, therefore I don't need to eat. Talking to yourself (in your head) in a positive, rational manner can help I find.

This is mostly head hunger and stress eating - but the thing is that the habit is so ingrained I really only notice I'm doing it when I'm standing in front of the pantry or fridge.

Love the idea of the jar surfer girl. I am so going to try it.