Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicken, beef, pork, fish?

What meat can you eat?

I'm around 2 months out. I've been trying to introduce new foods. Beef and pork don't work for me still. I tried turkey sausage and chicken sausage too and both of those bothered me as well. What can you eat? What about from someone farther out than me? Do you eat beef, pork etc?

To this day, at almost a year out (wow its weird saying that) fish still is the best as far as causing no issues. Shrimp and crab, too. For that reason, I eat a lot of it. Great Protein, low fat and calories. Can't beat that!

Yeah fish is my favorite. Thank goodness I like it! Lol chicken works good too. Just seems everything else gives me a stomach ache.

I was told shrimp first, then fish (choose a light moist fish). Then ground turkey, or other lean meats. Any sausage is going to have a higher fat content and probably not sit well. I was told to wait until 6 months to try chicken. I don't eat much meat so I tried chicken 3 or 4 months out and was okay, but I know I could have been a horrible experience.

No matter your choice make sure its moist, lean and you chew it WELL.

Good luck! also if it does not sit well you can always try again in a few weeks.

I still can't eat pork. It is so dense and even if I chew it to mush, it comes back up. Seafood, chicken, and beef....no problems. Beef was well after chicken, turkey, and seafood though.

For me fish and chicken worked well as long as it was the breast and not overlooked. I could also handle ground beef. (This of course was in the soft stage). Turkey breast also worked for me if it was not overlooked and sliced thin.

It took about 4 months before shrimp worked for me and even now sometimes I have trouble chewing it small enough.

I am now 10 months post op and still struggle with pork. I tolerate really lean tender cuts of beef like filet mignon. (I know how sad! LOL)

If I do eat pork it is usually a piece of pork tenderloin.

​I am 8 1/2 weeks out (RNY) and have really struggled with this. I just can't seem to keep chicken and tuna down and have had some trouble with deli meat. BUT I love smoked turkey deli meat (I know high salt...). Anyway, this week I got some at the deli and had them cut it shaved / falling apart and then I am only serving myself 1/4 to 1/2 ounce of it, but I have been successful in keeping it down so far! YAY! Maybe once I get braver with this one I will feel like trying tuna again.... I did have Tilapia once and it was great the first day but not so much reheated. I think I didn't get it moist enough the 2nd day. I will brave that choice again soon too. Good luck!

PS - I really have wanted to try ground chicken but haven't done that yet. Anyone else have any success with that?

I'm five months out I have trouble with pork too and steak fish I do very well with and shrimp crab I love I cut my shrimp into 3-4 pcs which forces me to have smaller bites and chew it better chicken has to be moist and small for me I can do turkey burgers and lean hamburgers I can only eat about half of one my dog loves this he gets the other part lol I've also had turkey kielbasa and very low fat hotdogs can't eat a whole one but I can do like a half pc regular sausage I can't do it makes me feel awful think it may be too much fat in it maybe oh yes ground chicken turkey beef I've had all three just fine no problem @ daisy I had trouble in the beginning too with chicken and tuna it gets better try it once a week until it stays down lol it felt like it was sticking in my throat/chest chew it really well I use Water packed tuna and I didn't drain it try that

Edited by shellyd88

I'm 2 months out and I do ok with fish and shrimp. chicken if I chew it really well. Had half a slice of turkey bacon, that was ok. Haven't tried beef or pork yet. But 1/2 oz is all I can eat of any of it.

I can do small amounts of everything at this point (1.75 years out). The pork still doesn't sit very well. Steak was the other that took a long time (ground beef was okay earlier so I can't really say beef).

chicken, fish and turkey agree with me the best!

Currently 9 months out and I'm able to enjoy any cut of steak provided is cooked medium rare, pork if it's not overcooked, rotisserie style chicken and chicken thighs but things like chicken nuggets and chicken breast that's too dry doesn't work. Fish works same as with shellfish no issues unless it's overcooked and rubbery. Funny thing is ground beef in a burger doesn't work for me at all really upsets my stomach but I am able to eat just the insides of a McDonald's kids burger no bun. Still only eating between 3-5 ounces per serving 3-4 times a day and about 800-900 calories a day. I realize I'm much luckier than some patients with gastric bypass. Starting weight 218, pre surgery weight 204, current weight 120.

I'm 9 months out and I can eat anything without any issues. I eat mostly chicken or turkey. I love taco seasoned ground turkey on a salad and make that a lot for lunch. I like salmon, tilapia , and the occasional burger or pork loin. I use the barbecue often to prepare my food.

tofu is easy to put into Soups and is soft to eat

I cannot eat meat because of the texture, does not work well with my band....things like chicken-turkey sausage may be more healthy than red meat, but it is made to be as close to red meat as possible in terms of texture, etc., so I can't eat those items also.

chicken has to be very tender, which unless I'm cooking it myself is hard to find in restaurants.

Free graze chicken seems to be the best.

Same goes with breads and pastas, and rice.....have not eaten such things in 5 years.

Bottom line I feel I'm the better for it...