Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Getting Sleeved was the Biggest Mistake of My Life

I was curious about the balloon procedure?

1) Do you think it has to be inserted by a clown?

2) Could I get my balloon in the shape of a poodle? :P

post-147109-0-85034300-1438563124_thumb.jpg

I think it's a conspiracy by someone promoting the Balloon procedure ????

All I can say, "Is get a life," You seem like a very unhappy and critical person. The replies you are getting are a result of what you are looking for.

Good luck!

On the day of my surgery, I weighed 236 pounds and had a body fat percentage of 48.2%. That means I had 113 pounds of fat.

Today I weighed 168.8 pounds and have a body fat percentage of 24%. That means I have 40.5 pounds of fat.

I have lost a total of 67.2 pounds since my surgery. I have lost 72.5 pounds of FAT since my surgery. That means I've GAINED roughly 5 pounds of muscle. So explain to me again how WLS causes muscle loss?

As someone who has had a "failed" WLS, I can really see how a person construes their own experience as facts.

Clearly, the OP did not actually have her "facts" right but did share her personal experience. This thread has a lot of passionate responses since so many of us found a "chance" at controlling obesity with the sleeve and are somewhat zealous in our ferver. I still call "unnecessary roughness" on this thread. WE can all see that mistakes were made and things said in a way that wasn't an accurate representation of our experiences or even of controlled studies.... but sheesh.

I am a freaking idiot for believing my band surgeon who told me i would be happy eating "petite portions" of high quality food and it would solve my weight issues. It could not have been further from the truth because during most of the banded life I was starving/drive for food and then would experience pain when I ate (unless it was sliders - so guess what happened to my eating habits!!). Anyway, if I were to write a story about my band experience in 2005 ( I was banded in 2001) it probably would have sounded as mixed up as this post did. Probably wouldn't have helped me much to be bashed about the head for my ignorance. Just something to think about in terms of how we treat each other.

To all of you reading this who have not yet had surgery, please make sure one post like this doesn't sway your opinion. I know before surgery I searched for posts and articles of people who regretted it. I wanted to see all sides of wls. But one post is not enough to make the call. If anything, this is a great example of why wls is a huge decision and shouldn't be taken lightly. For the one person who regrets it, there are hundreds more who are happier than they've ever been. I have no issue with people sharing their feelings here, both good and bad. But we are all here for support and reading bad attitudes like this, with clearly little understanding of what lifestyle changes are needed post surgery, are ignorant and misleading. Surgery was the best decision I ever made (and I still have a VERY long way to go). I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't feel the same. You must be doing it wrong.. lol

I do hope that when you get a little further down the road and the confusion of what to do next will escape you ( maybe not losing weight, stalls or even maybe gaining some back ) as it has for most WLS patients @@scarletwitch19 I hope that some one does not say the things you have said to this person. I agree that there is confusion in her thought process and even some misinformation, but it is her feelings and thoughts that she has taken the time to write out hoping for understanding.

I would say that there are things about WLS that you don't know or have not been privy to because you never had to deal with them.

Not every one has had a lovely experience with WLS. Not every one is prepared even if they think they are for what you have to do to be successful or deal with the emotional, physical or mental changes that can and do happen to many after surgery.

I say never say never when it comes to how you may feel later on. Never point out mistakes that you think you may never make. And never say you must be doing it wrong...... And then laugh. Because the last thing that is funny is everything we have all gone through; good experience or bad to get where we are today!

It is hard work and plenty of changes and fortitude to continue in this journey!

Don't get me wrong, I understand we all make mistakes, I've made plenty already. No one said this journey is easy. But we are all here for support. There's a fine line between venting because you're having a hard time, and trying to get people to change their mind about surgery, in anger and a poor attitude. It's misleading to those new to the process looking for guidance. I apologize if I offended you, but reading this post was very disappointing to me.

Who gets to draw the fine line? Who gets to say what is written here and what isn't?

I think that all areas need to be discussed and all different ways of looking at things. After all. It has been pointed out to me in many threads as I made comments that I was not saying the right or correct thing.

Well, guess what. I know that people get scared, and people feel buyers remorse and people might not even know why they made the decisions they have regarding WLS. Realizing that they are just human and that this entire journey is not as easy as they thought it was going to be.

If we all learn something from a thread like this, great! But the last time I checked, I can make errors in information and ideas and hopefully someone would help me see my mistakes and teach me better without putting me down. Or laughing at me.

It all comes down to helping one another instead of waiting to pounce when we read something that is not true. I am not offended by the way if it is me you are referring to.

I understand your feelings on this as well. I just think that we are all human beings.

Now I step down from my soap box!

In my opinion, the main reason people fail at WLS is not because they had difficult complications like you did, RJs/Beginning.

It's because they didn't understand or they simply didn't take seriously the post-op instructions they were given by their surgeons. I see a lot of pre- and post-op behavior described online that leaves little doubt that many folks who have WLS consider their surgeons' instructions to be optional for them.

The most basic instructions -- eat a minimum of 60 grams of Protein and drink 64 ounces of Water daily; avoid highly processed carbohydrates; after your body has recovered from surgery, start cardio and strength-training exercise -- are ignored by many patients.

The benefit of many threads on this forum comes not just from support for the OP, but from the dialogue it starts and the education it makes possible for many more people than the OP. That is the potential value of this thread.

The purpose of this forum is not to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. It is to help those who are considering WLS and those who have had WLS who are stumbling along, trying to find their way and to achieve the best possible outcomes they can get from WLS.

The OP made a great post that has produced a very valuable conversation. I'm grateful she posted. And I'm grateful for the conversation we're having. These are very important topics.

I agree with your logic @@VSGAnn2014 concerning threads, topics and forums.

But as you said it is in your opinion, just as it is in mine! It is difficult to put everyone in the same category. As everyone is different in so many ways.

Dialogue is good, learning is good, instruction is good. it is all good!

But there is a way of expressing thoughts, principles, information and ideas without being harsh, rude or belittling others. That is my opinion.

The way we communicate with each other behind the mask of a computer does not give us licence to say what ever we see fit because it does not matter. No one really knows me or you. I concern myself with the possible negative affect because I told it like it is in my books. Instead of treating others with understanding and compassion like I would like to be treated.

I know that this comes up all the time on the forums. Around and round we go. I feel this way, you feel that way and we defend our way of thinking and that's okay! I just worry about those ones that aren't as disciplined in their thinking not to give a dead ratz behind what others ( complete strangers ) think or respond to threads that they have written.

I think that a lot of people have been treated with disrespect for a long time dealing with the issue of weight. Why add to it other then it gets a lot of people looking at the thread to see how it's going to turn out!

It is exhausting! But that is just my opinion. It doesn't mean anything really.

My surgery sucked with complications and I have lost most of my muscle but guess what? I am so glad I did this surgery!!!!

It sounds like you didn't take it seriously, probably didn't follow your diet plan because you barely lost weight, and then gained that weight back! And your fishing for excuses as to why it didn't work for you.

This surgery works amazing and duh- you are giving up eating large portions for life. That's the point!!!