Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Getting Sleeved was the Biggest Mistake of My Life

Walter, he did not. The only medical issue he had/has is that he requires a knee replacement. He still requires a knee replacement. He now has multiple medical issues, in addition to worsening psychological issues associated with the surgery. At no point prior to the surgery was he referred to a nutritionalist. My point in posting on this thread, is to bring to light the fact that other people truly are "involved" and "affected". Perhaps the screening is different with different doctors, and obviously post-surgical maintenance falls to the individual. I've read literally thousands of threads, and I've attempted to post on dozens, yet this is the first time that my comments have actually posted. It's as if the administrators of the forums do not/will not allow any comments that do not fall in line with full support of this permanent surgery. It can literally destroy the patient and/or their family/loved ones. "You knew what you were getting into" and "It gets better" does not apply to us...the ones who suffer around patients like my husband. I've not yet found a forum for spouses/family of gastric sleeve patients.

Edited by Crushed in Texas

*Ahem*
This post is so full of bullshit, I don't even know where to start.....

Seriously. Email this article to your doctor. Since he’s the idiot who decided to operate on someone your size. I’m sorry you decided to have major surgery instead of joining weight watchers. But don’t mislead people because your own stupidity.

This is a mess [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Girl save your regret for your therapist. Nobody told you to fly to Mexico 2 weeks after making your choice. You sound like the perfect candidate for lap band. And you would have known that if you bothered to do any sort of research. Also you probably lost muscle because you didn’t weight train DUH. Also if people who are 40 look better than you I suggest you truck it over to Sephora buy some firming lotion and a Vitamin C serum, or chalk it up to wrinkle prone genetics. 🤷🏽‍♀️

BDME: Out of all the mean comments I've seen on this website, this might be the worst. Stop being such a b***h.

Edited by AmyFromCincy

You can say whatever you want and copy my post so it's kept on here as many times as you'd like. And oh, don't forget the short posts where you personally attack me and contribute nothing to the original post, so you can inflate your post count. Truth is... You don't know my identity and reading your negative remarks, I don't think I ever would want to associate with you.
I realize how pointless it was to post on here after receiving such feedback, except for those of you who were positive and encouraging - thank you!!! I've reported several posts hoping that this website is monitored somehow and that my account is deleted.
This doesn't need to turn into a go-back-and-forth thread... I don't know about your life noticing how much you post on here, but I lead a very busy professional life and would never stoop down to the level of your trivial arguments - that have little to do with the original post/point. So, I'm only going to say one last thing and will ignore all future responses: You became obese and I became obese because of our eating habits - for example, "emotional eating"... You were abused as a child, you weren't loved enough or the way you wanted, you eat out of depression/boredom - whatever the cause may be. Something went wrong - could be psychological or physical (disease, disability, etc.) Now, did you become obese because of the size of your stomach? Uh, probably not, because it wasn't initially huge. I think you're looking at the end of the thread here - which is not very intelligent. Our sleeves target our obesity by altering our stomachs, not the original cause of the problem, and I think that's were surgical approaches are flawed. And if you've really had time to develop good nutritional habits and a workout plan (like some people mentioned they have and I didn't), then you seriously don't need surgery, especially since as mentioned in my original post, there is no way losing 18 lbs in 1 month off of a 198 body is all fat. If you believe that, then I really don't know what can help you. All I'm saying is that we should be targeting the issue by looking at its cause - help people have a mental shift to develop good habits. Am I a nutritional expert, obviously not - I'm a sleeved failure as you've indirectly mentioned and it's a good and serious question why I'm still overweight... What you don't know is that I have a history of self abuse and lately due to certain circumstances in my life mimicking a dark past that the self abuse originated from, it all has gotten worse. So I have been pretty much eating extremely poorly - starving myself and then having all junk and forcing my body to have DS because I know how to trigger it - pathetic, right? I don't need you to make fun or feel sorry for me. All I want out of that post - which I now regret because of the hurtful comments and how you said I victimize myself, is for people to think about the root cause before doing something that may make them hate themselves more - having complications, losing so much muscle and having bad/loose skin/poor body composition, low energy, becoming anemic, needing Iron transfusions (which I have gone through) etc... I am now seeking pscothepray and a personal weight trainer who has been kind enough to listen to my story and is touched to help me on a personal and a fitness level. I am an all or none person in everything I do so I've been tracking my calories for the past week - meticulously (macros and all) and reporting to my coach and eating super clean. Walking 8,000 steps during my 3 work breaks and feeling much better - psychologically if not anything else!
I just hope you realize that there is no need to personally attack me. Maybe my journey was a little more complicated than most people's on here and like you said, it's all subjective/opinion and there is not one reason why you should heed my advice. I am an INFJ personality so I kind of expected for most people to not relate, but I thought maybe if one person did and gave it a second thought, I would be helping someone like me out there. End of story.

It's unfortunate how you feel and I'm sorry about your experience. I do definitely think you jumped the gun though. I've been on this journey for a year now, meeting with my nutritionist every month and I had to see a psychiatrist as well. I cant even imagine deciding I want surgery and having it 2 weeks later...or even 1 month later! Ive spent the last year slowly dropping bad habits and picking up new ones, so when I'm out of surgery, I'm in the right place. Many people see a psychologist afterwards to help with the stress, but I think its wrong for you to come on here with incorrect facts and scare the ones who may be already stressing over the decision. You keep preachinf about just exercising and dieting, but it cant be a diet, it needs to be lifestyle changes, as well as if someone's been obese and/or overweight a majority of their life, statistically speaking, the likelihood of that weight staying of is very very low.

Sent from my SM-G892A using BariatricPal mobile app

BDME: Out of all the mean comments I've seen on this website, this might be the worst. Stop being such a b***h.

Nah I’ll stay exactly the way I am. Thanks for the concern through sweetheart. [emoji16]

This initial post is from two years ago. The poster is long gone, which is too bad. I'd love to hear how things are for her now.

This initial post is from two years ago. The poster is long gone, which is too bad. I'd love to hear how things are for her now.

Agreed. I saw that after the fact. She may have just been a troll and didn’t even really have the surgery. Who knows. Let’s not waste anymore time on it.