Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve surgery on 7/23. I was nervous of course, but after they put that mask on my face in the OR, I don't remember anything until I woke up. I was in pain , in my abdomen and was in recovery for 6.5 hrs. I couldn't keep my eyes open. They took me to my room and it was a struggle to keep my eyes open even though I wasn't sleeping. They switched me from morphine to diloudid (sp?) and then my pain went down. However your stomach cramps like you haven't eaten in a week and I felt that regardless of pain med. The pain med made me nauseous and I threw up once with no effort. They gave me meds for nausea. It was tough the day of and the day after surgery. Even with nausea meds I still almost threw up each time they gave me pain meds. It was much worse than I expected and the only thing that would change my mind of having abdominal surgery of any kind ever again would be amnesia. I do Not regret it but I had a rough couple of days and wouldn't want to go through that again ever. I haven't taken any pain meds since I got home. I haven't needed to. I did take a stool,softener until today when I had a bowel movement. I was in the hosp for 2 days. I couldn't fully empty my bladder and that sent me over the edge. I walked a few times but could barely get out of bed to go pee as it was beyond exhausting. I was getting out of bed anyway every 2 hrs like clockwork to pee since I was on fluids but they catheterized me once cuz no matter how much I went, I just had more left and I couldn't sleep. Slowly the Peeing got better as I bargained with them to cut my iv down some and I'd drink more on my own. And they switched me to liquid oxycodone and I improved 1%. Lol I came home.the ride was tough and I was so dizzy and disoriented, and in pain with every bump. My biggest compaint was sheer exhaustion...it took all my energy to talk. Id have like 2 hrs where'd felt better but that would be it. I am fine without taking any pain meds since I've arrived home. It has been a struggle being in a 15 min to 1 hr schedule of taking in 1-2 is of liquids but it's all I did. I walk around my back yard perimeter several times a day with help. I don't walk without supervision because I am unsteady and tire easily and immediately. Today I feel more normal but the exhaustion is overbearing. Today is the best day so far. I woke up with heartburn and that wasn't pleasant so I had to call the Dr.today I am,actually physically hungry and I don't like it. So I'm aiming to drink my full range of Protein and see if that helps otherwise I will be starving for 4 more days.my focus is just feeling better. I currently could care less about anything else. I'm following my guidelines, folks. Every day is a new one but if you asked me yesterday if I would do it again I would tell you I'd avoid any type of abdominal surgery...and that I'd rather die. I actually said that and I meant it. Today, since I feel better, my outlook is better. I would not want to go through this again, though, unless my life depended on it...It is a serious surgery. I was not diluted in my thinking it would be easy.

I had a hysterectomy & can tell you I felt the same way. I was glad though, after about a week or 2, once the pain & everything with it let up. I don't have to worry about bleeding every day, just like you will find it a much easier to lose weight with the sleeve. Surgery is surgery. They cut out your stomach after all. Hang in there. According to all the research I did, it will work wonderfully in the end. Just like have labour with your baby, you will forget how much pain it entails, as you will have a marvellous result. I know it's tough, but you can do it. I haven't had my sleeve yet & keep thinking it will be like my hysterectomy all over again...but like that, I survived & did much much better in the end. Just check with your doc, to make sure nothing else is making you ill. The throwing up is the worst. Take care of yourself & be good to yourself. We are here for you to vent, though....so vent. It's gonna be okay.

So sorry to hear that you had such a tough time. I was very fortunate to have none of that. As time goes by you will do better and better. As the weight comes off you will forget in your excitement hopefully! Good luck!

Sorry you had such a rough time following surgery. Glad to know you're home now and will hopefully improve day by day. Good luck!