Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Supervised Visits Not Consecutive?

Hi, all! I have Federal BCBS insurance. My requirements for the sleeve are 3 months of supervised visits. I started my journey last year with the same insurance, so October 2014, and November 2014 are 2 of my supervised visits. I moved out of state to start another federal job, and my insurance didn't kick back in until now. Will my 2 other visits still count? I'd like to pick right back up where I left off, but I wasn't sure if I had to start my supervised visits over. Any advice is appreciated!

insurance didn't kick back in until now. 2 other visits still count?

@@fluffytofit

My "official" ;) answer is check with BCBS - they can give you the answer

my "not official" ;) reply is the following

having the same insurance company now and before is great

BCBS could/should check their records and verify that you have already gone to two supervised visits

hopefully this can be done w/no trouble :rolleyes:

IF you are required to have those two visits again, bummer, but it will get done

"God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It" ;)

good luck with continuing the hoops of insurance :rolleyes:

you are on the road to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

kathy

Kathy-Thanks for the reply. I had called them before with a different question, and they weren't very helpful. I'll try again, and give BCBS a call on my lunch break, and come back to update the post.

called them - weren't very helpful. I'll try again

@@fluffytofit

calling during lunch time might be very hard

they are busy at that time, and you''ll probably have to wait along time

by then it will be time to go back to work :mellow:

you will probably/understandably get frustrated :(

you must stay on top of calling the insurance company :)

otherwise they might put you on the back burner :o

then "they might "accidentally" forget about you :huh:

I believe you should initially be nice to authority figures

you can catch more flies with honey

but after awhile - no results/help :o

you have to dig your heels in so you can/need to get "assistance"/help

good luck bud

kathy

My insurance (not the same as yours) specifically requires 3 consecutive months of supervised diet program. It says that right in the plan brochure. Hopefully yours doesn't!

So, I spoke to the bariatric coordinator at the hospital I will be having my surgery at. She's familiar with my insurance, and the visits are actually with their nutritionist, and/or surgeon. I really like that the entire process is right through the surgeons office. So, yeah I do have to start over with my visits. I'm not discouraged though. Ive been fat my whole life, whats a few more months?

So, I spoke to the bariatric coordinator at the hospital I will be having my surgery at. She's familiar with my insurance, and the visits are actually with their nutritionist, and/or surgeon. I really like that the entire process is right through the surgeons office. So, yeah I do have to start over with my visits. I'm not discouraged though. Ive been fat my whole life, whats a few more months?

Hello! Question.. I have the same insurance as you and am meeting with my surgeon August 6th. What all is required from BCBS?

BMI over 40, or over 35 with comorbidity

3 months of supervised diet visits.

Psych eval.

There may be other things required by the surgeons office that is relative to your health. sleep apnea test, or EGD. Am I missing anything?

My bmi is 43.5 and I have 3 comorbidities. I had a EGD done a couple months ago. Thanks!

Federal BCBS does not require that they're consecutive. They just have to be within the last 2 years. I'm an insurance coordinator for the surgeon who did my sleeve and we work with Federal BCBS often.

Nora, the 2 visits I did were with my PCP. My surgeons office is now saying that they have to be done by a nutritionist, or the actual surgeon. Does that make sense at all? I was put on a 1500 cal diet one month, and tried a prescribed diet pill the next month.

Nora, sorry another question. Does it have to be done at a Blue Distinction Center? Is the coverage different?

You can do your monitored with anyone. We had a patient who did hers with her OB/GYN. Their not real picky on it as long as there is at least 3 visit notes discussing weight loss.

Thanks for the advice! I might look into another hospital. Maybe those requirements were of that particular surgeon. You've given me great hope :D