Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

KU girl,

You'll get it all worked out I'm sure. It's too bad you have to do that much pre-op. I assume by your username that you went to KU? I went there too. I loved it. Go Jayhawks!

Most of the doc's here will do it, but I haven't heard of insurance covering any of it. I think a lot selfpays go to Mexcio because it is so much cheaper. I probably would do that too, but it's too mcuh trouble arranging someone to stay with the kids and such.

Most of the doc's here will do it, but I haven't heard of insurance covering any of it. I think a lot selfpays go to Mexcio because it is so much cheaper. I probably would do that too, but it's too mcuh trouble arranging someone to stay with the kids and such.

Yes I went to KU. I graduated in 1997. I took my time getting through college... poop happens.

I wish I could be self pay and get the surgery done ASAP, but my hubby said to try the insurance first. I have Cigna and they require 6 month doctor supervised diet.:) Me jumping through the hoops. well the banana has to do it for me... I"m not that cooridinated Boy I hope that is spelled correctly.

Hey guys- nice to know there is some local KC peeps. I have my seminar with Dr. Malley this Thursday. I am a little nervouse because I don't know if I want to wait until Christmas to get it done. I have only certain times where I can be off work and school for long periods of time. My insurance requires me to have proof a dieting for at least a year - well I have been dieting since I was 15 and actually succeeded with WW and lost 50lbs but I have no actual proof. I am not sure what to do about that. Any good suggestions?

Hi-

What you want to do is go to your insurance carrier's website and search lap band or bariatric surgery. They should have a document that shows exactly what the criteria is. My insurance requires me to do a 6 month doctor supervised diet. I guess I'm lucky b/c some insurance companies require a year of doctor supervised diets. I hope your insurance is just requesting proof doing a diet like WW and not the year with going to the doctor monthly thing like mine for 6 months. If my BMI was over 40 for 5 years I wouldn't have to do that, but I think I have only been over 40 once and that was about 5 years ago.

Rachel at DR. Malley's handles the insurance so after you go to the seminar and then the consult she will call you and discuss your insurance with you.

Good luck! You will learn a lot at the seminar!

Hey guys- nice to know there is some local KC peeps. I have my seminar with Dr. Malley this Thursday. I am a little nervouse because I don't know if I want to wait until Christmas to get it done. I have only certain times where I can be off work and school for long periods of time. My insurance requires me to have proof a dieting for at least a year - well I have been dieting since I was 15 and actually succeeded with WW and lost 50lbs but I have no actual proof. I am not sure what to do about that. Any good suggestions?

Sarah,

Have a fun time at the seminar. It was such an eye-opener for me and helped me make up my mind right that day that this was something I wanted and needed to do for myself. I'm currently in summer school at KU and was tempted to get it done suring classes but since Dr. Malley is booked until the end of this month I figured it would be best to have the surgery after summer school is done and well before fall semester. I too was scared about having it done during the semester. I was worried about missing class and how I'd feel emotionally and mentally. I hope your insurance situation works out okay. Let us know how the seminar went!

:faint:I spoke to Rachel today. I guess I have only been doing it about 1/2 right. I need my doctor to document behavioral modifications and that I talked to him about weight loss medications. Also that I have been following the diet that the nutritionist reccommended and that I have been exercising. She said it didn't matter if I gained 2 lbs or lost 2lbs as long as I say I'm doing it. :doh: I'm more convinced now than ever that the 6 month doctor supervised diet is a stupid ploy by the insurance company to get their clients to not go through insurance b/c the requirements are confusing. Not only that but my co-morbidies may or may not be considered co-morbidities by Cigna and there is no way to tell until all the paper work is sent to Cigna and they either approve it or deny it :omg:. Guess I will go along with it. I won't be having lap band until next year. It will happen when it is supposed to.

:nervous

NO worries KUGirl it will work out. You just have to ask yourself if waiting a year to possibly fix a lifelong struggle( at least for me) is worth it. The problem I am having is being able to actually document my weightloss efforts. I am in school until end of July and then start right back up again in late August. So, i am on a bit of a time crunch. Not that I want to hurry, I just like to be well prepared. And of couse I am anxious to start losing weight. The sooner the better.

that is crap! sorry to hear about this hurdle... so frustrating.. you know though.. Malleys office does a once a month meeting with Sally berry Brown (nutritionist) its free... and maybe if you made some kind of chart for her to initial she could sign off on your behavioral changes.... along with doctors history.. it couldn't hurt.

NO worries KUGirl it will work out. You just have to ask yourself if waiting a year to possibly fix a lifelong struggle( at least for me) is worth it. The problem I am having is being able to actually document my weightloss efforts. I am in school until end of July and then start right back up again in late August. So, i am on a bit of a time crunch. Not that I want to hurry, I just like to be well prepared. And of couse I am anxious to start losing weight. The sooner the better.

No worries! I'm going to be positive! Thanks for the words of encouragment. I won't worry about Cigna. I just know they will pay and I will keep saying it over and over... in fact. I think I will just say oh Cigna has already approved me! Power of positive thinking!

Yes weight has been a life long struggle. I can relate. I love this site knowing that other's here can relate to us. I have family and friends, but they just don't understand b/c they don't know what it is like to have this kind of monkey on the back. :P

that is crap! sorry to hear about this hurdle... so frustrating.. you know though.. Malleys office does a once a month meeting with Sally berry Brown (nutritionist) its free... and maybe if you made some kind of chart for her to initial she could sign off on your behavioral changes.... along with doctors history.. it couldn't hurt.

Thanks Tracy! I will look into that.

I just think it is a little ridiculous. I mean I can tell the doctor something like, oh I have been parking my car at the back of the parking lot and taking the stairs and that would be behavioral and if whoever is approving or denying this stuff doesn't like the toilet paper they used that morning, they can deny my surgery. Oh Oh oh I could go on. I pay a lot of money to have insurance every month and then have to pay a co-pay and have my insurance company tell me, I have to use generics or pay an arm and a leg.. UGH so frustrating... but I"m jumping.. maybe not as high today, but I'm still jumping!

Thanks for listening... moving on to positive things!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rebecca

:whoo:So, I am really discouraged by my insurance. BCBS is basically making it impossible to have this done. So i have to have 12months of supervised diet and a documentation of this failed attempt. I also have to provide documentation of behavior changes during this time and nutritionist and excersing documentation. I am confused as to why not just exclude coverage all together. that would make this a lot easier. Really bummed and not sure what to do.:think

I'm going through the same thing. Mine is only 6 months but is sounds like it must be a typical insurance thing.

Is your BMI over 40 or under 40. I know mine is under but if it had been over for 5 or more years they would instantly cover me. Mine is 39 according to Dr. Malley so I have to jump through those hoops too.

We can do it! We can beat them at their insurance games! Let's jump high as we can and do it!

Have fun at the seminar and we will conquer those insurance bugs!

Your friend-

Rebecca

Let us know how the seminar went :Bunny

HI,

I am newbie and was wondering if anyone knows of any good doctors in the KC area. I would really like a woman-but any good suggestions would help. Thanks so much.:help:

I just had my surgery on May 21, 2007 and I have lost 32lbs. Dr. Harlan Opie did my surgery at Olathe Medical Center and he is great and so are his nurses. He cares about you as a person and not just another surgery. If you need his number it is 913-782-8577.

kansaskim:rolleyes: