Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Devistated-WLS excluded from plan

I've been doing my research on vsg and even have my first surgeon apt next week. I just called my insurance to have them send a packet with official requirements (Anthem BCBS so I knew it was 6mo observed etc). Online my interactive insurance plan estimates the cost for various hospitals including what my out of pocket would be. When I called I was told online was mistaken and my employer's, plan does not Include ANY WLS. I'm devastated.

I spoke with my vp (I'm in HR) and made a valid argument for getting WLS included for 2016 plan and he was on board with it. But at the end of the day it's about cost for the company, so I'm not holding my breathe that anything will change. I'm going into a depression about the possibility of WLS being off the table. For the last months I've been researching and getting more and more excited about my life and weight finally having a light at the end of he tunnel. Now I'm stuck. Not sure what I'm writing this for other than to vent to others that might understand. I don't know anyone that's had WLS to talk to.

I have high bp, 44bmi and Pcos. I don't have an immediate need for surgery so my only other Hope would be to change jobs.

Anyone have their plan actually change to include WLS? ????

I'm sorry that stinks! If my husbands insurance wouldn't have paid for mine I would have been off to Mexico no doubt! Is that an option?

I'm so terribly sorry that your hopes have been dashed. I wish there was something I could say to make it better.

I own my own busines and pay for my own medical insurance. My state opted out of WLS so unless I move to another state, there was no way insurance would cover my surgery no matter what my BMI or comorbidities. So I was off to Mexico! Best experience ever. Pain free, easy recovery, great communication and support from my surgeon's office. PCP takes care of follow up bloodwork. 19 months later....nearly 100 pounds lighter and feelin fabulous. Money well spent. (much better than the POS "affordable" health care act policy I am force to waste my money on).

Edited by Kindle

I don't have health insurance so I also went to Mexico. Reasonable price and such a wonderful experience. I booked through BariatricPal and used Dr Jesus Martin Lopez.

I guess I will start researching Mexico! I will still wait until I get details on my employer's 2016 benefits to see if it gets added. I was planning on waiting and doing 6 months dr observed weight loss, so it won't be prolonging the process.

So many Mexico questions now- are post-op complications covered by regular insurance either leaks or dehydration etc? do you meet the surgeon before your travel?

thanks all

There are also a number of very affordable self pay options in the US as well.

Just fyi don't feel like going outside the country is your only option.

There are many cheap options in some of the southern states especially like Dallas or Houston in Texas, parts of Louisiana and Florida and there is also a Doctor in Cincinnati that has a reasonable self pay price if you prefer.

First of all, I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation. Second, if I were in your shoes, I would take my 2015 tax return money and go right on over to Mexico. I actually thought about going to Mexico when I wasn't sure whether or not I would be approved for Kaiser's bariatric program.

I guess I will start researching Mexico! I will still wait until I get details on my employer's 2016 benefits to see if it gets added. I was planning on waiting and doing 6 months dr observed weight loss, so it won't be prolonging the process.

So many Mexico questions now- are post-op complications covered by regular insurance either leaks or dehydration etc? do you meet the surgeon before your travel?

thanks all

I made arrangements for after care with my primary care provider. Again I don't have insurance so I can't answer that question. I spoke to my surgeon on the phone and they will also Skype with you. I arrived the day before my surgery and my Dr came to see me where I was staying and spent a lot of time talking to me and telling me step by step what he was going to do.

@%#Loosingit?!&- You might want to check out Dr, Fernando Garcia Govea in Tijuana Mexico at Tijuana aria tricks.com. that is where I'm getting my gastric sleeve surgery done in a few months. You pay $500 deposit. The cost is great! Plus if you go on RealSelf. Com and search for a lady name (toriroberts) you will see her trip pictures. There is also a recent video made on YouTube from a lady who went to Dr, Garcia for her surgery.