Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know what to do.

Hello everyone, This is my first post on this site. Well here is my story, I'm 32 M and about 6'2 and 300 lbs, I have gone through the weight loss program twice in 3 years at Kaiser and still haven't pulled the trigger to do it. The first time I backed out because my girlfriend at the time said she would leave me if I did it. (she ended up leaving anyways haha) and this time around I just cant get my self to do the last step and that's pick my surgery date. I must be scared/nervous im not really sure. I understand that this is a life changing tool. I'm not a big eater as it is now I might eat once a day and I drink a gallon of Water everyday. I am a very active person, I'm always on the move and have a new hobby to deal with , I'm not a lazy person who just sits in front of the TV all day. I'm a heavy duty diesel mechanic so I have a very physical job. I just don't know whats stopping me from do this, I'm I the only one who has felt like this. I could have done this 3 years ago and been don't with it.

But here is one question that has bothered me. With in the next couple of years me and my friends will be opening are new brewery, now by me doing this surgery I can not drink beer any more is that true? Im not a big drinker I love the art of making something from different things.

I have read a lot of your stories and maybe i can have a story of my own one day

Thank you

You can certainly drink beer or anything else in moderation. Shouldn't be a problem.

With a job like yours, I think you'll be amazed at how much more enjoyable it will be without all the extra weight.

You can totally drink beer again after the surgery. There is nothing that you actually cannot physically have after about the 2 month mark. They frown on caffeine, soda, and booze, purely because they don't want you drinking your calories. I drink diet Pepsi everyday and while I'm not a big alcohol drinker, I haven't had an issue the few times that I've had a beverage (or five).

First, Google the consequences of eating one large meal a day instead of speading out your nutrition. After you have bariatric surgery, it will be imperitive to eat small meals and sip instead of chug your liquids.

Secondly, think about how your health will be a year from now if you do not have surgery. Then consider where your health will be a year from now if you DO have the surgery.

Third, there won't be any pitchers of beer, but I suppose you can be a sippy taste tester.

MRH, I wonder if this has nothing to do with drinking beer but facing something I had issues issues with: grieving giving up food for comfort. No more mashed potatoes and gravy. No more mindlessly eating popcorn while watching TV. No more seconds at the dinner table.

Are the benefits worth the changes that will be lifelong ? It's almost like getting married and giving up your single state. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that honestly to yourself.

Make your decision, and decide it's the right decision. Stick to it and follow through with it, whatever you decide. Don't live with what if's. Be strong and confident in yourself!

Hello everyone, This is my first post on this site. Well here is my story, I'm 32 M and about 6'2 and 300 lbs, I have gone through the weight loss program twice in 3 years at Kaiser and still haven't pulled the trigger to do it. The first time I backed out because my girlfriend at the time said she would leave me if I did it. (she ended up leaving anyways haha) and this time around I just cant get my self to do the last step and that's pick my surgery date. I must be scared/nervous im not really sure. I understand that this is a life changing tool. I'm not a big eater as it is now I might eat once a day and I drink a gallon of Water everyday. I am a very active person, I'm always on the move and have a new hobby to deal with , I'm not a lazy person who just sits in front of the TV all day. I'm a heavy duty diesel mechanic so I have a very physical job. I just don't know whats stopping me from do this, I'm I the only one who has felt like this. I could have done this 3 years ago and been don't with it.

But here is one question that has bothered me. With in the next couple of years me and my friends will be opening are new brewery, now by me doing this surgery I can not drink beer any more is that true? Im not a big drinker I love the art of making something from different things.

I have read a lot of your stories and maybe i can have a story of my own one day

Thank you

No one can make the choice for you on whether or not surgery is a good idea.

Also anyone who is willing to leave you over you wanting to get healthy should not be with you.

Good job on staying active and having goals. its a major surgery so being afraid to take the step is completely normal. but make sure you are sure you are able to make the life changes. Good luck and if you need a surgery buddy let me know mine is august 6th.

Something is stopping you but something is also keeping you going back. it is a scary decision but everyone who I know, including myself, who is newly sleeved, is glad they did it. I still have not (personally) met someone who said they wish they would have passed. Maybe see a therapist to help you sort out some thoughts and feelings? I did.

What Norma said.

We can't figure this out for you.

But we can encourage you to figure it out.

Best to you.

The only thing my doctor said about alcohol was that I could not have any up to 6 months after surgery. After that, I can have it, but within limits. But that is just like food.

If you are not ready, then don't do it. You should be 100%. You will be supported here no matter what you do.

I do think 1 meal a day is not good. I use to do that & my Doctor told me how that isn't helping me 'cause my body is storing what I ate once a day b/c it wasn't getting what it needed other times.

Just be careful.

If you have been going back and forth on this, then you know deep in your heart you need it.

It took me a long to get to the point I was okay with having surgery, then when I was ready, I made it happen in less than 60 days so I wouldn't chicken out.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I've found this thread really helpful, I have my date booked however I still have so many questions, like can I still champagne with my friends etc. sounds like I can but only after about 2 months.