Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone totally regret this surgery? why?

i am 1 month away from my bypass, I just want to hear if there is anyone regretting this decision

Hi Marie ,

I have to honest and say, some days yes. I have had some serious complications and issues after surgery (bowl obstruction and C DIFF). However, that is not the only reason I say yes. We all got here because our relationship to food is a problem. We lean on it, we love it and yes, hate it too. After surgery though, seeing people in my life just eat with wild happy abandon makes me seethe with jealousy at times. I know this is irrational, I wanted this, I even hired an advocate and fought for this! In my case, I have been through WLS once before for god sake! However...this is forever where as the band I knew, I could take off if I wanted. Having said all of that, I am only 2lbs away from seeing a 1 in front of my number on a scale for the first time in 18 years. I am no longer pre diabetic and look totally different and feel totally different. There are days I am happy I made this plunge to be sure, there are days I wonder if I made a good choice. However, I think that is the human condition isn't it? We take a road and then spend all of the time we walk it wondering what we missed along the other. I think if you are truly unhappy in this life you are in, its worth the grab for a new one, or at least that is the way I felt about my life. We are all on here because we wanted a new road with new things to see and I think for the most part, the sites have been good ones with minor bumps in the pavement along the way. That is what this forum will be here for, the bumps in your road, we'll be here for you when you need us! See you in a month, good luck!

I am only 2 months out. It was a very rough first month. I am now doing so much better!! I have had a problem with food for the past 5 years. I used it as a crutch. A divorce, kids leaving home, ect. I see week after week changes in me, I am looking and most important I am feeling like a million bucks!! Yes, it is worth it!!!

I guess another way to answer your question would be to imagine the rest of your life as you are now. Would you/are you happy in your body; do you think you will live as long of a healthy life in your present state as opposed to having the intervention?.............if NO is your answer to either question, then perhaps you are making the right decision. There is only one way to see. Don't let your "food addict" get in your way. Worst thing you could do is not try. I think statistics prove, WLS is no miracle weight reducer. If you regret having the procedure done, there are plenty of ways to getting back to where you are now. 65% of WLS patients go back to who they were all the time - it is called sabotage.

I believe you will be happy once you see the results. Try not to overthink it. I am sure we all at one point or another will regret having it done. Particularly in the beginning stages. Withdrawal from any substance/behavior is difficult....from coffee/soda/alcohol or cursing to hardcore drugs/promiscuity/gambling and Eating for pleasure.

Good luck. I know it is hard. I too am struggling with the "what if's". The longer we have to wait, the more time we have to torture ourselves. Some days are better than others. Just take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

Best wishes to you!

I am desperately waiting for September 21st! My scheduled day.

Edited by India928

Almost 2 months out, and no not even once, I just make sure I never forget what it was like before surgery and I keep motivating myself day by day, I'm also much more laid back and relaxed, and I'm already 50% heather for it, regret comes from continuing to hard on yourself about small failures and not meeting goals on time and it turns into worrying about "what if ?" I don't want that ever and I use small milestones instead of setting goals.........

I suggest you read through this link if you haven't yet. There's a lot of honest answers on here relating to your topic.

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/342885-Any-Regrets?

At times, I have regretted it. I am six months out and feeling pretty good now. Not so tired and most of the drama is done. Weight loss has slowed and that is ok with me. i love the new body, but it comes with a price. This really isn't for everyone.

I am two weeks post op. Doing ok....tired, weak but trying to remain optimistic. I am already noticing that my fingers are thinner...my wedding ring is more loose. This makes me excited! ???????????? I have had the 'should I have done this' moments but I guess that's normal. Hang in there!

I'm nine days post-op and I've not reached the point where I'd say "oh yes, I'd do it all over again for sure!" But that makes complete sense to me. Right after surgery you're the most miserable and have the least amount of reward. Down the road, you feel much better physically and experience much greater reward (weight loss).

I'd never had any kind of surgery or been in the hospital for any reason. This may sound overly dramatic to some, but I feel like I went through hell and back in the hospital. Lots of pain and I had a reaction to something that made me itch so badly all over my body I wanted to just skin myself. It's been so much better since then, but I've still had some rough moments. I know one day it will be worth it, when I'm fully healed, the weight is off and I'm living life with renewed vigor.

Edited by gpmed

At two months out, no way, no how. Zero regrets. Lots of hopes though. The difference this early is amazing. I can't wait to see where I am in a year! It gets better everyday and I'd do it again in a second.

I'm having issues with dehydration and I'm now a month out and no regrets. I did regret it the first 5 days after surgery when i had such a huge problem with nausea and vomiting. Now... no way no how! Can't wait to see my progress 6 mos and then a year from now!