Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 week update for those thinking about a revision

So I had my surgery on 6/30. I was in the hospital for 2 days. The surgery pain was much easier than the band or the band removal (mine was removed in April). I lost about 12lb by one week. Weirdly I lost the Water weight from the surgery more quickly than with my band removal. At 3 weeks out now I am down 19-20lbs. My assessment is that this surgery is easier than the band. With the band my stomach was more swollen and I had more trouble with liquids for longer. With this surgery I really have had no problems sipping away and making my fluid goals. The only thing that has been hard is that I have had no appetite and experienced no thirst even when I need to drink so I need to remind myself. I did purees with zero problems measuring my food, eating slowly just like with the band. Today is my first day of solids. I packed 4oz of tuna salad and 4 whole wheat crackers for lunch in my cooler bag. I ate maybe 2 1/2 ozs of tuna salad and 3 crackers about 2 hours ago and feel very full now - almost don't want to drink. To describe the full-feeling it is somewhat similar to the feeling of full with the band in that I feel full up to my esophagus - kind of like a small lump in my throat but it doesn't feel painful or like I need to throw up like it did with the band - also my chest/stomach just feels full.. hard to explain. I keep getting worried when I see posts on other parts of this site about people struggling so much to drink and eat and I haven't had this experience. Is my sleeve smaller? Is my anatomy different post-banding? This is what I like to think: after 8 years with the band I have learned Portion Control and how to chew, sip and eat in a bariatric-friendly way. I really hope this is true! Sorry for the long post but when I was leading up to surgery I was really looking for answers to some of these questions. Remember I am soooo new so take it with a grain of salt!

I know that same full feeling - I got that on Saturday when I took one bite too many of the hamburger patty I was eating.

I have had no trouble whatsoever with any foods. I went to solids on day 10 with my surgeon and NUT approval.

My surgeon did tell me that he only took out about 75% of the stomach because I had scarring at the esophagus from the band and he didn't want to run the risk of leaking at that spot.

I haven't thrown up once in 7 weeks. With my band everything was coming back up.

Sounds like your experience is similar to mine.

Thanks for this update! I have my sleeve scheduled for 9/14 and had my band removed on 6/29. I've kept saying that I hope the sleeve is as smooth as the removal because I was fine after a week. My original band surgery, five years ago, was really hard and I struggled with a hematoma, severe swelling and incredible pain. I know everyone is different but I've heard so much more positive regarding the revision than I've heard negative so I'm excited.

Good luck. Y friends are all doing well with the sleeve.

I just turned in the last of my requirements to the Dr. today. Now I'm getting nervous instead of excited. The doctor intends to remove my band and do the sleeve all in one fell swoop. I'm concerned about pain, but I'm more concerned now that I won't be able to stick to the strictness of the diet plan. I've had many problems with my band over the last seven years, slippage, port pain, and now a hernia. I originally lost 60 pounds, but have gained it all back. I know I can lose it again with this surgery, but can I keep it off is my worry. I've read some stories here of some who regained their weight which I can't understand with such a small stomach. I don't eat sweets and treats all day, but I like them sometimes. Will I be able to ever indulge in a treat and still keep my weight down? Will I be able to ever eat a small popcorn at the movies, or eat out with friends? I'm feeling very insecure now. Any encouraging words out there? I'm really needing them now.

I have the same concerns.Will I truly be able to lose the weight with the sleeve and not fail.

I have the same concerns.Will I truly be able to lose the weight with the sleeve and not fail.

I think a lot of the answer to that is going to be up to you. I've lost about 20lbs since surgery day at 5 weeks but I see that it takes work. Exercise and log every bite. This isn't going to be a quick fix.

So happy to have found 'my group'. Lap to Sleeve. Band was removed Early February and I am scheduled for sleeve on 8/26. I'm so looking forward to it. I know these procedures are just tools and not cure-alls. I know work in involved. I was banded in 2008 and lost over 100lbs. After the complications with my band I regain much of that weight back...although it happened on it's own and quite fast, it was also a necessary evil in order to qualify for the sleeve. All my health issues resurfaced when I gain weight. HPB, back pain, sleep apnea... and low energy. I can't wait to get rid of all that and be healthy again. One of my co workers had a leak but what happened to her is rare unless you don't follow instructions and then you can only blame yourself for that. This is too much to go through not to commit to success. Ppl gain weight when they each high caloric foods.. then that sleeve starts to stretch and you're back a ground zero.

But... that's not going to happen to us... we're on a mission right!?!?

My surgery is scheduled 9/2/15, band removal and sleeve. I'm excited, anxious and scared to death! Thanks to everyone for their writings. Reading about it all and knowing I'm not alone really helps!

THanks!

I had the band for 2 years and had problems the last year with it. I had a revised sleeve surgery. The surgery was a breeze, no real pain to speak of. I have been having real hunger pains every two hours. I was eating small amounts every two hours. My doctor told me not to do that it will not help me in losing the weight. I lost 15 lbs. since the surgery which was this past march. What is the amount of Protein that should be eaten in a meal? I can eat a 5oz. Yogurt without a problem. But when I eat say chicken I can't even eat any more than 2oz. However I still get hungry at the two hour mark. I have added protein through out the day added to my Water. I thought this would help but it does not do what I thought it would do. Should I just work through the hunger pains until my next meal and hope my system will get used to it. What does a meal consist of. Just need some advise. Thanks

@@Ksarch60

I think in regards to the sleeve it's still a restriction surgery so slider foods can go down quicker and you eat more as opposed to more dense food like chicken.

Ina. Deciding to go with bypass but a sleeve fan no less.My friend who just got sleeved for the first time said that you must eat every 2 hours...so that you are not starved.Must chew food very good ell.

Very well

I had the band for 2 years and had problems the last year with it. I had a revised sleeve surgery. The surgery was a breeze, no real pain to speak of. I have been having real hunger pains every two hours. I was eating small amounts every two hours. My doctor told me not to do that it will not help me in losing the weight. I lost 15 lbs. since the surgery which was this past march. What is the amount of Protein that should be eaten in a meal? I can eat a 5oz. Yogurt without a problem. But when I eat say chicken I can't even eat any more than 2oz. However I still get hungry at the two hour mark. I have added Protein through out the day added to my Water. I thought this would help but it does not do what I thought it would do. Should I just work through the hunger pains until my next meal and hope my system will get used to it. What does a meal consist of. Just need some advise. Thanks

If you were still losing weight while eating every two hours, then I'd stick to that since it works for you. Everyone has a slightly different experience. I can eat more in the morning, but then I tend to have yogurt or cottage cheese which is softer. Today for lunch I had a tuna-to-go type lunchable with crackers, 3 oz of tuna, mayo and relish. I was able to eat it all (wasn't when I first started solids) but I'm extremely full. Dinners tend to be smaller for me. Last night I made country ribs (the boneless kind) and I ate one and was satisfied (along with two bites of cornbread and 1/8 cup canned green beans). I also drink coffee every morning and that keeps me full for a couple of hours.

I don't find that I am "hungry" the way I used to be. I still have urges to eat which have nothing to do with hunger. Then there's the feeling my stomach gets when it is empty. But my hunger is just not the same. The physical hunger, that is. My head hunger is still there. Boo. :(

Ina. Deciding to go with bypass but a sleeve fan no less.My friend who just got sleeved for the first time said that you must eat every 2 hours...so that you are not starved.Must chew food very good ell.Very well

I don't eat every 2 hours. Breakfast lunch and dinner. Occasionally a snack.