Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre vs post op diet...prepare yourself! (This is somewhat of a rant also)

I see A LOT of people complaining or whining or just having trouble on their 10-30 day pre op diets. It is ok to whine and complain but just be ready, the pre op is a walk in the park compared to what happens after surgery. Pre: you still get food...texture and taste...post: nope! You are on clear and full liquids for at least 2 weeks. And u can't have carbonation (ever) or caffeine (for at least 30 days) no sugar either so what u drink is somewhat limited. Not to mention it's hard as hell to drink anything because of all the swelling inside. I was sent to the er twice in the first 3 weeks for iv fluids because I couldn't force anywhere near 64 oz down a day. And 33 days post op i still don't get near enough. And also prepare yourself to be extremely depressed and cranky and to hate others who can still eat what they want when they want, family included! You do still get hungry and have hunger pains. If u read u won't or were told u won't because they remove the portion of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone ghrelin or whatever or it's only 'head hunger', WRONG! You get hungry I promise! Once u can finally taste wonderful precious food again it's only 2 oz at a time!...for awhile... and that's if u can handle it, the sleeve is very picky especially at first. Try now to go a whole day eating 3-6 2 oz. portions, it sucks! They also don't always tell u ur sleeve may only prefer hot or cold for awhile. That limits u yet again. People always seem to make this surgery seem like unicorns eat rainbows and fart glitter but it's more like mules eating metal and farting spikes! I think people should be honest with those who are considering surgery, it's a major change, FOREVER! I'm not trying to convince anyone not to do it because supposedly it gets better. I'm just speaking honestly from my own experience and if I knew then what I've learned now...I'd have changed my mind. So enjoy the pre op diet as much as u can, it goes downhill from there.

WOW sounds like you are having a tough time of it. I had a very different experience post op. I have had no issues with drinking, and on average I am consuming 80-100 oz a day. I was a big Water drinker pre surgery and just continued post. I am only week 4 post op, so haven't gotten to the food piece yet. My surgeon doesn't allow soft foods till weeks 5-8, and then normal foods after that. I have noticed a difference in switching to full liquids last week, I definitely fill up faster.

I love how I feel, so I would never want to go back to the way I was before. I hope you find a place that you are more at peace with the choice you made, and more comfortable with your new life style

When I decided to take this journey I made myself positive affirmations that I read frequently through-out the day to keep my mind in a positive place. This is a BIG change and as with anything we can focus on the positive or the negative - it is totally our choices which we are going to focus on.

I'll be 4 weeks out from surgery on Monday and I am doing really good with everything. I am getting in my 60 grams of Protein and 60 ounces of Fluid each day. I am walking each morning and evening and I really love and look forward to those walks each day. I'm not having any hunger or any cravings for food. My family still eats in front of me (hubby loves whataburger) but it doesn't bother me at all. This was my choice to have surgery and I don't expect anyone around me to change their food habits because of me.

I have had some cranky times. I had really bad Constipation the first week and I am still sore and tire easily. I have slept in the recliner almost every night since surgery because I can't comfortable in bed, but last night I was able to sleep in bed all night! Yay!

If anyone is looking for an easy way out this is not the easy way out, but after a lifetime of losing and gaining weight I'm ready to focus on being healthy and happy and focusing on everything I have to be thankful for.

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time. As I'm sure you would concede everyone's experience is different. Unfortunately you can't know beforehand exactly what yours will be. You just have to weigh risk versus benefit and make that leap of faith.

My experience was completely different. The 2 week pre op diet was a challenge but nothing I couldn't handle. My surgery and recovery were textbook... pain, yes but again nothing unexpected. I followed my surgeons protocol for reintroducing foods and have had no issues. At 7 months out I am now down 78 lbs and feel better than I have in years.

I'm a happy camper and would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I hope that as the weeks and months pass you'll be feeling better. There's nothing like seeing the weight drop off to make the world seem like a happier place ☺️

For me, the pre-op was way worse than post-op, as far as the liquid diet goes. With pre-op, I was still soooooo hungry all the time, where the week after surgery, I did feel FULL after just 1/3 cup of a Protein Shake. I was also way more cranky during my pre-op diet, as well as nervous for the upcoming surgery.

I'm glad you all have have good experiences, but I am still thinking I'd rather go back to being happy and if that meant being fat forever so be it. I don't voice this to get attention or sympathy (not that you all have done that) but so others know it isn't always the way your experience has been. And simply put, if the pre op is difficult get ready is all I'm saying. I don't read enough posts that list the types of problems or feelings I've had. They are all possible but in all my research I got all the good reviews nothing about the harsh possibilities I have had. I'm just putting it out there. ????

I am sorry that you are having a difficult time. I am only 3 days post op so I am not an expert but my experience does not match yours.

Pre surgery on the pre-op diet , I was hungry physical and head hunger and they connected. My head hunger fed my physical hunger. Now I get some head hunger, like food pops into my head but it doesn't connect to my stomach, my stomach has no reaction, and even the head hunger fades very quikcly. My preop diet was 10 days all liquids. I would finish a shake, down 302 oz of Water and still be hungry or not satisfied, and my head hunger was driving me insane I lost all concentration and could barely owrk. I am satisfied now with just a few sips.

I know most people are dying for and looking forward to being on foods again but after the feeling of swallowing a few pills, I am not interested in rushing back to food.< /p>

I think it is important for people like you to tell your story and for other people. I paid closer attention to the people with bad outcomes and negative experiences before I had surgery. It sucks because it seems like the positive experience people run the people with negative experiences off of every board/forum. I read those experiences and thought seriously about them pre-surgery. It took me several years to reach this decision, even though once I decided it all went very quickly. I decided that even a bad outcome was better than the path I was headed down with my health. My health went from good to starting to slide at a rapid pace. I decided it was better to take a chance on this than to suffer a long slow death over the next 10-15 years (still too young for someone like me), or worst disability.

So don't stop telling your truth even if it isn't popular or positive, you are still helping someone.

I understand where your coming from Mrs.Dixon it is a tough process and I agree that some folks here sugar coat things a bit. Kid gloves do not work for everyone nor does everyone have a great journey. Sometimes I feel like you where I say to myself damn I wish I could go back to the way things were but if I did that I'd still have a my health issues. It's a double edged sword and I understand that, IMHO people need to hear the good, the bad and the ugly before making their own decision. Therefore I have been brutally honest with my friends who are interested in this surgery. Good luck and hang in there!

Edited by chubbsey1

@@OutsideMatchInside thank you. I find all the people who are so successful in this try to keep people who are like me from scaring others. And they downplay my misery. I pray this turns around for me I really do but until then this is what I'm dealing with. Ive thought about this a lot for years and we finally got insurance coverage and that was that I went from consult to surgery in 45 days, could've been less but I got sidetracked. I second guessed this decision everyday and still do but I did it anyway. Now here I am. I am happy u are doing well and hope u all the success possible.

You poor thing! I know you didn't say this to get sympathy but I just had to tell you I am only 11 days ahead of (bypass on 6/4) and if you were to go read some of my posts from 2 weeks ago (especially in reply to "Any regrets" ) you would see I felt very similar though wasn't able to express it as eloquently as you have ????. Take heart my friend. As I turned the 6 week corner things are starting to improve. You are right, it is not easy but I really think there is a light at the end if the tunnel for you.

I think it is important for people to hear all size and experiences before they make the choice to proceed, so thanks for sharing and I AM sorry you are struggling.

BUT just as you don't want people who have had an easy time to paint the picture as ALWAYS being sunshine and light, please be careful with your own phrasing. You say people WILL experience X or Y in your initial post. It might be more credible and thus more powerful if you said "you might" or "I did."

When people post things as absolutes whether sunshine or darkness it can make people close their eyes because very little in life is certain.

I do feel your message needs to be heard so I am just trying to help truly!

You poor thing! I know you didn't say this to get sympathy but I just had to tell you I am only 11 days ahead of (bypass on 6/4) and if you were to go read some of my posts from 2 weeks ago (especially in reply to "Any regrets" ) you would see I felt very similar though wasn't able to express it as eloquently as you have ????. Take heart my friend. As I turned the 6 week corner things are starting to improve. You are right, it is not easy but I really think there is a light at the end if the tunnel for you.

Thank you ☺

I knew Mrs.Dixon's reaction was possible based on everything I read, that's why I was so scared going in. Very blessed that I had a great and easy experience in my transition. I'm not being judgmental, but I've always been curious what causes the different reactions:

1) Just different genetics

2) Quality of surgeons

3) Preparation of patient

4) Attitude/suggestibility of patients

Too many variables to really study, but if anyone finds some clues, I'm curious to know.