Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New AP Band and Port size

Hi Everyone,

Ok since Im not banded yet I just met with my Dr and asked him about AP band he said it was not being distributed yet that he knew of but would contact inamed to see if he could get one.

But my question is what port size does it come with does it come standard or with a mini port. Im trying to get him to order an AP band for me with the smalles port possible. Inamed sent me some paperwork but it was only about the band. Does anyone know anything about newer ports and sizes??

Hi. I got my lap band in March...in Europe (Belgium.) I had the AP14 "installed". The port size is the same no matter which band you choose, as far as I know. I looked at about 4-5 different band sizes and never saw any difference in the size of the port. But, don't worry about it. It REALLY isn't an issue. You will feel compelled to feel around for it for a few weeks, and may have som twinges as it settle. Ten, for the most part, you will forget all about it! GOOD LUCK!!!

EVA, your doc is incorrect. The AP band was released in the US during the ASBS convention earlier this month (June 11-17th to be exact). At the ASBS the docs could get trained in the differences in placing the AP. I have also heard the ports are the same, regular or the low-profile mini port. From what I understand, the other poster is correct that the port size really doesn't matter that much, the doc (or at least mine did) will choose the band size and the port size while in there. Both are based on what your body looks like inside. Thickness of abdominal wall for the port, thickness of stomach walls for the band. The other consideration for the port has to do with amount of abdominal wall fat for fills, you gotta have a port you can find. Though I believe most docs in general go with the low-profile mini port if they can.

If your doc is going to order the AP, have him, not you, but him call Don Mills at Inamed or have him talk to his band rep and set up a proctor to be there for the first AP he places. I say this because it doesn't sound like your doc attended ASBS and thus didn't get to take the AP class. There are differences in placement, which possibly could be simply explained to him over the phone, depending on his comfort level, how many bands he's done, how many VG bands he's done, etc.

When I was trying to get an early release of the AP Don Mills did suggest that my surgeon order a minimum of 4 bands, 2 small and 2 large. They won't know until they open you if you need small or large, and then if something happens to the first one they try to place (drop it or rip it), they'll have a back up. Don also told me the instruments (trocar) used to thread the AP must be much larger than the ones used currently. There are some distinct differences in placement so it is important for the docs to get training either by reading or talking to someone or by a proctor.