Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wouldn't take it to heart. Only my very good friend has mentioned my weight loss. She didn't know I had surgery, but I'd lost about 50lbs since I last saw her. On the other hand, acquaintances that last saw me 70+ lbs ago hasn't even acknowledged that I look any different. I honestly don't think it's because they don't see it, I just think it's a personal subject with most people you don't know real well. In my experience they're just less likely to comment.

Well just bring it up at opportune times like , when someone says "hello" you say yeah just lost 50 lbs, or when they ask you how your doing "oh great just lost 50lbs!" Or when they say bye, "yeah just going to lose more of the 50lbs I've lost. I bet they will notice then!!! Ha!!! No for real maybe not with strangers because that may seem a little "weird" for some people but feel completely free to torture your family with it! I do, works for me. Trust me they notice ;)

You laugh, but I actually did that with a pretty good friend I hadn't seen for a while. I said "Can't you tell I've lost like 50 pounds???"

They were like "No, not really...I think you look great, though!"

WTH?? Seriously, it took me losing SEVENTY POUNDS before people started to notice! Really strange.....

Me too! 70lbs before people commented that weren't my loved ones! Crazy people!

Also, how and where do you guys make those BMI timelines, surgery timelines, weight timelines at the bottom of your posts? I've been wanting to make them but can't figure out where to do it!

Click that little gear thing way up top by your name then click "my tickers" :)

I've only lost 23 pounds since my surgery date and only those who know me well can see a difference. Most everyone else hasn't said too much.

This is kinda in the opposite direction of this post, but does anyone else feel like they get compliments from friends and family only because they know you've had the surgery? I can't really see the difference, but I've had a few people compliment me, and its hard to tell if they can really see that I'm losing weight or are just saying something because they know I've lost weight.

I've lost 40 lbs so far (11 weeks out), and my sister whom I see every weekend, just said on Saturday, "Hey, I'm beginning to see a difference." Yeah, thanks a lot. Truth is, my highest weight (280) was an all time high, and I had only been there a couple of months before I had surgery. My typical weight was about 270. But I was looking very puffy. Also, you may be losing in places that people don't notice it. My derriere is smaller (my undies come up over my navel now!), and my upper arms and ta-tas have deflated, but my face is still really full, double-chin still present and accounted for. So...

Also, some people might just not want to give you the satisfaction, due to envy, jalousie, or being judgmental because we "took the easy way out." Who knows why... Their approval would be nice, i mean, who doesn't want to be liked and admired? But just stay the course, and focus on yourself. And do ask yourself why this bothers you. Good time to do some self-reflection, eh?

Best!

Edited by Hetera

I've lost 25lbs and people are starting to notice. I've finally started to feel good and then a complete stranger asked when my baby was due. That was a huge bummer.

No one at my work said a single thing about my weight loss until I had lost about 55 pounds. I guarantee you they notice but just don't want to say anything. To ask if you've lost weight means they are implying you are fat and need to lose weight (This is what a lot of people think to themselves). So, they'd rather just carry on and not ask about it. On a side note - I cut about 12 inches of my hair off last week. It is above my shoulders now. Not a single person has said anything. You just have to laugh it off :-)

What kind of supervisor makes a comment like that under any circumstances?! Rude beyond belief! Depending on where you start weight-wise will depend on how soon others notice. 50 pounds from a person over 250 is harder to discern than off a person around 200. Most people are more interested in what is going on in their own personal lives than what is going on in ours. Try to understand that they are just preoccupied with their own stuff!

I agree with Shustar, what kind of supervisor says that???

I also agree that once you are in the 250 and up range it is harder to tell when people lose weight unless you really have an eye for detail. I could easily lose 40 lbs and no one would know but me. There are a lot of reasons for that but in my case I wear my close loose anyway because I don't want to advertise my fat rolls. Sometimes we hide it to well. There will come a time when they suddenly notice. I would wait and enjoy that time.

Edited by MIMISAN

People I know well will say,"you look great!" And leave it at that. Co-workers might not say anything because they don't want to offend you. Also, people that are around you everyday have a harder time noticing because they are around you everyday. I'm a teacher, so it will be interesting to see if I get comments when I go back in a month!

I echo what others have said. We're all different and have different "tipping points" of where people will notice. I hadn't really thought of this before, but also agree with what others said about people not being sure if they should say anything for fear of offending you. For me, it usually takes about 50 pounds for anyone to notice.

Something else to possibly consider: are you still wearing the same clothes? If your clothes are really loose, that might be why people aren't noticing too. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work! :)

Sometimes people just don't know what to say. For example, if someone says, "You've lost weight. You look great!" they're worried you might respond with "Did I not look great before?" Sometimes people lose weight because they're sick, so they don't want to say anything in case you are....we all just have to remember we're losing weight for ourselves and nobody else. It's our journey. Whatever people say about our weight loss may or may not be what we want to hear...

Don't bet no one notices! It's such a touchy thing - most of the people who comment on mine really approach it with kid gloves when they do. You're doing great, and I'm sure you look amazing!

I am 3 1/2 months post op and have lost 50 pounds. I have started socializing with people that have not seen me since before surgery and do not know about the surgery. Literally, not one person has commented at all. Not even a you look good. I didn't do surgery to get compliments, but now after working so hard, I just wish someone would notice. Anyone else experience this?

maybe they do notice and think your sick and don't want to disappoint you or maybe they notice and just jealous and won't say anything I have some family like that I'm just saying as long as u know u changing that's all that matter I'm sure u look awesome. Great job on your 50lb lost

I have actually had someone tell me wow something looks really different about you like your 10 years younger did you have a facelift or something Guess it was supposed to be a compliment but i was so offended im only in my 30s lol