Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating & morning exercise

Ok, I have always had a hard time trying to figure out food and morning exercise, but now I am even more confused. If I get up and drink Water, then I have to wait 30 minutes before eating and then exercise but can't drink while I am exercising. That won't work. (Honestly even without the exercise, I have a hard time with eating in the morning, generally just doing a Protein Shake while I am driving to work.) So this morning I had extra time, so I had 3 Tbsp greek yogurt and then waited about 30 minutes and went for a 45 minute walk. I did drink about 8 oz water while I was walking but man was I dizzy and wiped out when I got back. I knew I hadn't had enough Fluid but also not enough Protein, so I drank my Premier Protein Drink but Ugh it took a while. It kept bubbling up and gurgling like I was drinking too fast (though not any faster than normal).

Exercise actually makes me tired, so I don't know that I will ever be able to work it in before work (other than a quick brief spin on the treadmill maybe), but for those days when I do have extra time....Suggestions? What is the best way for this to work and not pass out afterwards?

I wake up, and exercise while drinking my Protein Shake. Either a walk or recumbant stationary bike. Sometimes, I will drink my shake, first, then exercise while I am waiting the 30 minutes. You will find what works for you, through trial and error. Keep up the great work!

My routine is wake up, drink some Water. 30 minutes later I have some yogurt and fruit or a Protein shake. do laundry or computer tasks while I digest. Get to the gym 30-60 minutes later.

I never had been a Breakfast eater or a workout person before surgery. My instructions had been not to drink for 60 minutes after eating which would have meant waking up at least 2 hours before a workout so I could have 20-30 minutes to eat (fuel up) before a workout and be able to drink while exercising. My trainer was adamant about eating beforehand, my dietician was adamant about waiting 60 minutes to drink and I was adamant about not losing sleep just so I could do either. I decided to eat something small, string cheese, boiled egg, half a piece of whole wheat that with Peanut Butter, that only took 10 minutes to eat as soon as I wake up. Then I get ready, walk the dog and drive to the gym and drink. It's not always 60 minutes since I ate but it's at least 30. It seems to work ok for me.

I drink then workout while drinking more and then do a Protein Shake after. My doctor consider a Protein shake drinking so I don't have to wait.

I am having the same struggle....as @@jess9395 mentioned - my doc also considered a Protein shake drinking and not eating. I think my plan going forward is to drink Water and Protein Shake while on my way to the gym and at the gym.... then just take like a greek yogurt or something to work and eat it at work to get in something for breakfast. Maybe something like that would work for you as well?

To make things more difficult I have to take Synthroid in the morning and wait an hour to eat (though I can drink Water during this time). I try to take it at 4 or 5 if I wake up to go to the bathroom on something so I have some extra time, but it is tough getting everything in. Its the "don't drink 30 minutes before eating" that gets me in a bind - unless it is a shake as you say. Thank you @BizzyB. I think that makes the most sense. Appreciate all the feedback.