Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings:

My date is the 19th, and my pre/post op meeting with the Dietitian is on the 5th and my last Dr. Appt. is on the 6th. - which is 13 days before surgery.

As of yet, no mention of a preop diet, but I'm sure one will come - and I need it. Since my 5/31 surgeon appt. - she insisted I quit smoking - I went from 233.5# to 248#, and yesterday I was 243.2#. Being able to break a 35 yr. cig habit was a biggy for me.

Just a testament to my resolve to have the surgery.

Anyway - anyone know of the least restrictive preop diets out there - not that I'm looking for one, just curious.

I would have sworn I'd seen somewhere on this site where someone said they had been put on a 4 day preop diet. Am I dreaming?

Pris

Greetings:

I would have sworn I'd seen somewhere on this site where someone said they had been put on a 4 day preop diet. Am I dreaming?

Pris

Congrats on quitting smoking! That is a big step.

I have read some who don't have a pre-op diet at all. All depends on the dr.

LysaRenee,

Good luck with your dr diet...if you need help,I have one that i used three weeks prior to my op...was great..lost 11 then went to surgery..went back after liquids and have lost another 17 ...I am at a plateau but 5 weeks and I feel great. Let me know if I can help.

Crystal

I am new to this board and thought this would be a good place to start. My doctor has not mentioned anything about a pre op diet yet.... I will see the physician assisstant for pre op on Tuesday so maybe it will be mentioned then. I have asked him before and he said that it is not imperative????? Anyone else not have to do pre op diet?

I do have to do the standard clear liquid diet the day before surgery though.

Congratulations on kicking the smoking habit... what a huge hurtle to cross, and like you said it is a testement to your resolve! Keep up the good work.

i'm being banded on the 9th july and luckily my surgeon doesn't require me to do a pre-op diet so will be spending this week stuffing my face! :embarassed::hungry: it might be because i've quite a low starting bmi (33)?

good luck to all of you that have to do a pre-op diet - i feel for you!!

LyssaRene & James:

Thanks so much for your kind words. It hasn't been easy! I knew I had to do something about that double threat, obesity and a smoker. So, I just bit the bullet - no carbs or nicotine in that!

Hello all,

I am having surgery on July 30th and my pre-op diet starts the week before. I am allowed low salt/low fat Soups (no cream soups)-opti-shakes, Jello, fat free milk. Its funny the variation of the diet, length of diet, and whether the dr recomends one at all.

Can I Join ? LOL Hi I just found this thread. I am going to be banded on 7-16.

I started my pre op diet on Monday . Its high Protein low carb .

I really dont know how ya'll are doing it on liquids because I feel like im starving . Espically at night . Around 8 pm on I become REALLY hungry !

So im trucking along . I did cheat last night I had a small piece of pizza .

But other than that ive followed the diet.

Anyway , Just wanted to say Hi .

Mindy

I know, isn t it funny how each doctor is different on their pre op diet? I read how some of you get to eat real food , and I worry about my opti fast diet and cheating eating a pcs. of cheese and a cucumber and my liver not shrinking ( lol)... I am so sick of these shakes, it is hard to get them down now. Is anyone else having trouble with these shakes?

I know, isn t it funny how each doctor is different on their pre op diet? I read how some of you get to eat real food , and I worry about my opti fast diet and cheating eating a pcs. of cheese and a cucumber and my liver not shrinking ( lol)... I am so sick of these shakes, it is hard to get them down now. Is anyone else having trouble with these shakes?

If it makes you feel any better Im drinking the shakes for Breakfast and usually for lunch , just because i dont eat Breakfast and lunch much and its hard for me to choke them down . I usually just chug them . I know its not good practice for surgery . but its all i can do to get them down, if i dont im STARVIN MARVIN by noon .

I have been drinking Instant Breakfast some in the morning too. Can you have that . That breaks things up SOME . but not much lol

Mindy

Hey folks! I just found this thread, too. I don't normally go in the Lucky 7s thread from the main menu...I just did and look what I found???

Great idea to break some of this stuff out b/c our main thread is blazin hot!:flame:

I almost didn't want to post b/c I don't have a pre-op diet. I don't want to rub it in, but my doc just wants me to do the normal pre-op thing the night before. You know, no food/drink after midnight.

I feel so fortunate. I admire those of you who do have one and are successful w/it.

James- I heard the opti shakes are hard to get down. My nutritionist said that I could use the Designer whey shakes instead from GNC. I havent started my pre op diet yet, I am getting banded on 7/30 and starting the diet 7/23... Goodluck, I know that I am very gaggy and I am so afraid that the shakes are going to make me puke!!

I can t use anything other than the Opti Fast plan for my pre op diet. I wish I could add a few other things to it, but the nutritionist said no. They are so hard to get down,and the Protein Bars are even worse yet! I think it takes me about 45 minutes to finally get a bar and a shake down. but the good news is that I only have 3 more days to go and then I will be finished with the ( WOO, HOO!!!!). Since starting the Opti Fast diet almost 2 weeks ago, I have lost 17 pounds, so I sure hope that live has shrunk.

james2539- have you tried different flavors? What about just adding flavoring like from your pantry- coconut extract, almond extract? (or is that off limit also.....just a drop or two??