Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness for the plus size woman

Credit:books and tapes are now available to help the woman of size become fit and healthy.

But what if you don't live in a large city and your town or city has no facilities for plus-sized women? Guess whatyou are still in luck; there are still ways for us to meet our own fitness needs.

If you can afford it, hire a personal trainer. If you can't, you can begin incorporating more movement into your life on your own. Another idea is to contact a physical therapist from your local hospital and ask if they would like to earn a little extra money by helping you set up a suitable exercise routine.

Whether we use a size-friendly gym, personal trainer, exercise videos, or just jogging across town with a good friend, the best part of the exercise experience is a great support system; its always good to receive praise for when we have done well, but we also need a good boost to keep us focused and motivated to make our program of choice a success.

Hone your instincts and listen to your body and spirit; know your limits, what kinds of things you like to do and when you like to do them. Are you a morning or an evening person? Do you like solitary or group activities? Do you like to swim or are you more of a land person?

Once you have an idea what path you would like to take, check with your physician to make sure you are able to exercise safely. We may FEEL all right, but a checkup by the doctor is good insurance before getting started in the event a problem is found.

The best way to get yourself in shape once you are cleared by your doctor is to do whatever you can at whatever pace is comfortable for you. If your body says you can't do it, DON'T! If your body says, "Stop!" then it is time to stop. Pushing yourself otherwise can lead to frustration and even injury.

If it's not fun, if it doesn't feel good, change it. Start out slow, do less than you think you can do, and add onto it in increments. You will be amazed how far you can go eventually once you focus yourself and set aside a time each day just for you, even if it is for only twenty minutes.

But you don't have to feel the burn or sweat to the oldies to get health benefits from movement. Yoga, belly dancing, Pilates, or even a brisk evening walk will help to improve your flexibility and stamina. Also, when we are working towards a goal of better health and physical control of our bodies, we are not as obsessed with such issues as weight loss.

While weight loss can be a wonderful perk of a fitness routine, you'll get all the health benefits of exercise even if you never lose an ounce. You will find yourself wanting to move even more, resulting in being more active and having fun in the process.

There are also other benefits of a good fitness routine at any size; as a result, there will be more positive changes than our bodies getting into better shape:

We sleep better

We reduce stress

We will increase flexibility, strength and endurance

We stabilize our blood sugar

We lower our blood pressure

We prevent osteoporosis

We alleviate depression

We improve our sex lives

Above all, do it for you. If you are doing it to please your mother, to get a promotion, to prove a point or catch a man, chances are good you will not succeed at your routine for very long. On the other hand, if you do it with a goal of getting fit and being healthier, then you can be successful, not to mention feel and look better in the long run! How can you pass up that idea?

With all these options and benefits open to us as well as our skinny sisters, why NOT go on, be your new, positive self? Be the best that you can be-in a size 6, 16, or a 26!

AWESOME post...thank you!!! I love it when people are siked up about fitness. I am so shocked as I ride my bike by houses the amount on people sitting in front of their tvs. GET UP AND MOVE PEOPLE!!! It is really great!! Deanna

I was always active and fitter than other people my size, I've always liked to exercise.

Its entirely possible to be fit and heavy, but by golly when you compare what its like to run without 80lb of fat on you, there's a HUGE difference.

I was fit for ME, but I could never have competed against someone half my size.

But I really believe my relatively good physical condition when I went into banding made it possible for me to do well, lose weight and exercise effectively right from the get go.

Its always worth looking after yourself! Being fit is about a lot more than being thin.

oh yeah, there are some skinny ladies that I could bypass on lots of physical exercise so size really has no bearing on what you can do physically in this matter...

Well, this plus size girl has taken on Water aerobics and I am LOVING IT!!! I don't have back or knee pain and I stay cool at the same time. It is a win win situation for me! I am into my second week of it and look forward to going for a change! I am so excited about it!

I'm currently working out 2 days at Curves and 2 days at the Y (machines)--OMG it is such a rush when you are done--all your cares just melt away!

At my first visit to the nutritionist I told her about working out--so when I went for the second visit, the first words out of her mouth as she opened my folder was "So-o-o-o, were we able to get ANY exercise in this month at all?" I just stared at her. To her, I was just a lazy obese person!

Working out just feels GREAT!!

(I'm 60 and going to be banded next month)

It seems to be the norm that people think if you are heavy, obese, fat...whatever they see you as then you could not possibly work out. Good for you and congrats on banding.

Hi, I had to post because I have become Deanna's shawdow. Meaning we seem to be posting on all the same boards.

I've typically exercised more than most and I certainly could do more than most fat chicks, but really with the band I've gone from a regular exerciser to someone athletic!

Holy crap?! Whe knew it was in me?

I'm glad to see I am not alone in orienting my goals in being fit. Not just more fit, but in being as fit as this body can possibly be...You all are some good company.

J

I agree....now I am your shadow!!! I really like all the people who post on here. You know I was looking at how many people are always on the some of the other threads...and I thought, wow, if all those people looked at the exercise threads too, then we might have a whole lot of banded exercisers!!!! Keep up the good work everyone....

What a nice thing for her to say! That sounds like the clinic I used to use. I don't go there anymore. It was TOO negative for me. I am proud of you and glad you are exercising. I jogged/walked a 5K race May of 2006 at a weight of around 260! WE CAN EXERCISE! People are so bad at sterotyping others.

Yes, I find even my doctor does it, even now that I'm not overweight anymore. He just expresses amazement each time I go in for a checkup, like none of his patients ever exercise. Either they dont, or he's guilty of stereotyping badly!

Yes, I find even my doctor does it, even now that I'm not overweight anymore. He just expresses amazement each time I go in for a checkup, like none of his patients ever exercise. Either they dont, or he's guilty of stereotyping badly!

I've been working out since 1983 (started at "Elaine Powers"--you are too young to remember them! Think Curves, without the machines!).

Recently at the YMCA an older woman said to me "You don't have to work THAT hard, honey"--I just smiled...

I guess most people must not know just how terrific you feel physically and mentally after a workout!

Congrats to you, girl...!