Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I'm new to this site so please bare with me! hehe

I've chosen to get the Gastric Inverted Sleeve with Dr. Kim in Colleyville,Texas. Although at the moment I'm in the middle of getting my paperwork in order. The office has told me if all goes well I'm looking at getting the surgery done by late August/early September. YAY! :)

Hotel questions:

Since I can't get flight information yet I was thinking about what else I could prepare in the meantime. I'm traveling from New York and will be staying in Texas for about a week with my sister, who will be looking after me. So I'm looking at hotels around the area and I guess this question goes out to anyone who has stayed at hotels near Dr. Kim's office in Colleyville. Which hotel did you stay at and about how much was the stay? Are there any hotels I should stay away from?

Packing questions:

Since I'm going to Texas for about a week I'm not sure what I should pack. Of course I've got the basics down (clothes, electronics, toiletries etc) but as a gastric sleeve patient is there anything else I should bring for the stay? Also, since I'll be flying from NY to TX do I need to keep medicine in it's original vile and have paperwork with me? I've read in a previous post someone set off the metal detector and the cause could have possibly been the staples in their stomach :blink: ..should I call the airline ahead to let TSA know I've undergone bariatric surgery?

It's a lot to read, I know, I'm sorry! But if anyone can help me out it'd be really great!! :)

I got sleeved in February of this year my surgeon told us that our staples would never cause any problems at the airports that we didn't need to worry about it also MRI cat scan etc same thing if asked if u have them when having medical tests then say yes but it won't interfere as a matter of fact I had a lumbar MRI end of April this year after being sleeved there was no issue I've been thru security at airport and xrayed in those stupid machines they didn't even know nothing was said

I'm sure the Dr's office can give you all the hotel info you want

I am from the Colleyville area and will also be sleeved by Dr. Kim in August.

Not sure of any hotels in Colleyville but lots of nice options in Southlake and Grapevine. Both of these areas are close (less than 10 miles) and are really nice and safe areas.

Not sure though that you will want a hotel near his office though? His bariatric center were you will be having your surgery is in Frisco, Texas which is quite a ways from his office. Unless you are being sleeved by some other surgeon in his office and then I think the surgery center is in Grapevine.

Like Woo Woo said your coordinator should be able to give you hotel info.

Good luck with your journey!

I feel kinda silly for asking now lol but thanks! :)

Awh yay!! :D will you be getting the gastric sleeve or the inverted sleeve? Thank you for the locations. :) I saw 2 locations on the website and when I spoke to the office they said I'd be better off going to the location in Colleyville since it's near the airport..I'll have to speak to them again. Thanks so much for the information and good luck with your journey too!

Dfw airport hasn't even made me remove my jewelry so no worries about staples. Last year I broke my hand, had surgery with metal pins sticking out my hand. I went through airport security the next morning on a previously planned trip and they just swabbed my cast for explosive material I guess. Lol! I also have a screw in my knee and it never sets off any alerts.

jacks89, how exciting Dr Kim will be doing your surgery!! He did my inverted sleeve 3 years ago and I have no regrets in choosing him. I got my life back thanks to him! You have made a great choice and the staff are all so wonderful! I have met sooo many friends through his practice from the private patient only Facebook support group. I think as a traveler you will get dissolvable sutures on the outside. I know quite a few patients that have paid cash for their surgeries and his cash pay patients go to Frisco for surgery. You may ask the person you are speaking with if she can give you details on hotels near Frisco for your surgery, then hotels in Colleyville for your appointments? Did she say how many visits you will have to do or just 1?

My biggest advice to you is bring your pillow. You will need a pillow between you and a seatbelt.

Hi there! I also had the inverted sleeve by Dr. Kim and it's been an AMAZING journey. And, I was cash pay, too! Not only is he an excellent surgeon, but everyone on his is invested in your success. Monthly support group meetings, private FB support group, work out sessions, events...it's so much more than surgery! Let us know how your journey progresses. :)

Dang it! Why didn't I hear about this doctor sooner? I paid my deposit on a VSG in mexico on June 30th.

Hey Phat! :) If you can schedule a consultation with Dr. Kim before you pay more to your doctor in Mexico, maybe it's worth a shot? It'll at least give you another opinion/option.

oh my! I hope your hand is better! I actually fractured my pinky 2 years ago. I had the pins and cast and everything, I still can't bend my pinky unfortunately but it doesn't stop me from doing anything so I'm okay with it hehe. Good to know airport security isn't such a stickler lol

Dfw airport hasn't even made me remove my jewelry so no worries about staples. Last year I broke my hand, had surgery with metal pins sticking out my hand. I went through airport security the next morning on a previously planned trip and they just swabbed my cast for explosive material I guess. Lol! I also have a screw in my knee and it never sets off any alerts.

I agree the staff is very nice! I did not know about the Facebook support group. That's great! And ah I see! I'll have to ask about which location I'm going to get the surgery done when I call them tomorrow. At the moment I'm still waiting to hear back about paperwork but I'm hoping it's the one visit and then surgery. I'll keep everyone more up to date about everything as I get more information. :) It's nice to know there's an online community where people who have had this kind of surgery can communicate with each other. I haven't told anyone about it yet, only one of my best friends and of course family. So this is very comforting for me. ^.^ I'll be sure to remember the pillow for the ride! Thanks a bunch!

jacks89, how exciting Dr Kim will be doing your surgery!! He did my inverted sleeve 3 years ago and I have no regrets in choosing him. I got my life back thanks to him! You have made a great choice and the staff are all so wonderful! I have met sooo many friends through his practice from the private patient only Facebook support group. I think as a traveler you will get dissolvable sutures on the outside. I know quite a few patients that have paid cash for their surgeries and his cash pay patients go to Frisco for surgery. You may ask the person you are speaking with if she can give you details on hotels near Frisco for your surgery, then hotels in Colleyville for your appointments? Did she say how many visits you will have to do or just 1?

My biggest advice to you is bring your pillow. You will need a pillow between you and a seatbelt.

I feel kinda silly for asking now lol but thanks! :) (sorry I didn't reply correctly so I'm just reposting)

I got sleeved in February of this year my surgeon told us that our staples would never cause any problems at the airports that we didn't need to worry about it also MRI cat scan etc same thing if asked if u have them when having medical tests then say yes but it won't interfere as a matter of fact I had a lumbar MRI end of April this year after being sleeved there was no issue I've been thru security at airport and xrayed in those stupid machines they didn't even know nothing was said

Will do! :)

Hi there! I also had the inverted sleeve by Dr. Kim and it's been an AMAZING journey. And, I was cash pay, too! Not only is he an excellent surgeon, but everyone on his is invested in your success. Monthly support group meetings, private FB support group, work out sessions, events...it's so much more than surgery! Let us know how your journey progresses. :)