Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psyc appt, what are they looking for?

Have to wait until July 17th just for the WLS options/info class before I even get referred by my PCP to bariatric surgery. I have Kaiser in Sacramento CA. I know I'll have to go to a Psyc appt. What are they looking for? What type of questions do they ask?

@@quiltermom65

Its pretty basic stuff. I agree with the posts above.They are looking to see if you are in a good mental state to change behaviors. They want to make sure you are successful.. They are not trying to stop this process for you.

They're looking to identify conditions and behaviors and compulsions that could cause you significant problems down the road.

That certainly doesn't mean you're going to be rejected if you have ANY degree of those conditions / behaviors / compulsions. Not at all.

But they're trying to identify people several standard deviations south of normal re things like suicide ideation, unwillingness to comply with medical instructions ("Nobody is the boss of me!"), unrealistic expectations re WLS ("When I lose all my excess weight all my problems will be over"), current and recent substance abuse and addictions, etc.

When I had mine she asked a lot about my motivators for the surgery, what my plans are for success and maintaining, asked a lot of questions surrounding depression or a history of depression and did an assessed of my support system post surgery.

When I had mine I was terrified that the fact I've only been free of abusing drugs and alcohol would surely stop the process. It did not. The psychologist was wonderful and even spoke to my regular therapist. They want to help you. They aren't there to be roadblocks but to help insure success.

Thanks for the information. I feel better about it now. It sounded so scary.

I went to the psychologist that the surgeon's office employs. I wasn't worried going in, but I felt really put on the spot during the session. After hearing my history of binge-eating and losing/regaining, she kept asking why I think I haven't been successful at keeping weight off, and when I answered she kept telling me that those things won't go away after surgery, so what makes me think it'll be different this time? I seriously thought she was going to recommend I not have the surgery. Then I mentioned the fact that I had previously seen a therapist who specializes in weight issues, and I'd like to start going back to her. The psychologist loved that answer LOL, and suddenly she eased up on the questioning and started smiling at me. I left there saying I would go back to that therapist (already have an appointment!!) and also participate in the group sessions that the surgeon's office regularly has, and she told me she thinks I'll do great, and she wished me well. So my suggestion is to be honest, and to be open to therapy and group support.

I went through Options too. Southern CA San Diego. My classes ended 05/14 and I just got my surgery date of 07/29.

The psych evaluation was very easy and only took about 15 minutes. There was no written test. It was just a relaxed, no stress, one on one talk with the doctor, who asked very general questions about your weight history, support, and surgery expectations.

Seriously I've had labs that took longer and were more worrisome. You'll do fine!