Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Documented Weight loss Attempt

Hello Hellooo :)

I was wondering what is considered documented weight loss attempts by a Dr.? Does it mean, pcp, nutrionist, or surgeon?

I know some insurance companies require this (3-6 months). But my surgeon didn't list it in my pre op requisites. He did want only 1 visit to the nutrionist.

Now, I don't know if I should start seeing my pcp monthly, recording my weight, so they have it on file. I just don't want my surgery date of October 2015 to become January 2016...because I needed to track my "weight loss attempt".

I have been doing weight watchers for 6+months and have prior records of my weight watcher's attempts, but they weren't something my Pcp followed me up with at all.

I wrote a letter outlining my weight loss attempts and my PCP signed it. I used WW too. She hadn't supervised it, but she knew I was doing it so she signed the letter.

If you are using insurance, it depends on your actual insurance. Here is what mine said (Cigna) so I would agree if you can document your WW attempts and have you PCP sign off, it might work:

"Medical management including evidence of active participation within the last 12 months in a weight-management program that is supervised either by a physician or a registered dietician for a minimum of three consecutive months ((i.e., ≥ 89 days). The weight-management program must include monthly documentation of ALL of the following components:

 weight

 current dietary program

 physical activity (e.g., exercise program)

Programs such as Weight Watchers®, Jenny Craig® and Optifast® are acceptable alternatives if done in conjunction with the supervision of a physician or registered dietician and detailed documentation of participation is available for review. However, physician-supervised programs consisting exclusively of pharmacological management are not sufficient to meet this requirement. "

I have a BCBS plan and it required six months. I saw a dietician every month for six months. The weight loss clinic you are attending should know how to get your surgery paid - it's part of what they do. I'd discuss it with them as well as your insurance company. That's if you want to make sure you don't run into any issues.