Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Artificial sweetners?!?

I'm pre- surgical and about 2+ months from surgery. I was wondering if anyone had any information on alternatives to Aspertame in many of the products I think I will be told to consume after surgery? It's not that it's "not sugar", the stuff has always made me feel yucky and lets not get started on the taste. I do not know if I can make that transition. As for the liquid and soft portion of recovery, does anyone have any suggestions for Jello, etc that does not contain Aspertame. I've done Splenda, tried Stevia and most recently Monkfruit. Let's face it, they aren't sugar and that is OK. My body has told me time and time again though that it does not like Aspertame. I have enough fears going into this and don't want this to be another of them. Thanks for any suggestions or ideas in advance :))

I can't eat most sugar substitutes, including stevia as they trigger my allergies. I seem to be okay with small amounts of Monkfruit or sucralose. However in general I simply avoid them. I've learned to use less of the real deal. At home I mostly use raw honey. I will also use real sugar and occasion real maple sugar or date paste.

BLERDgirl :) Thanks for the reply. I will have the option of trying these substitutes down the road. I haven't done my PREP group yet, that is in a few weeks. I do think I was told that they have you eat SF Jello after the surgery and for like a week while in the liquid phase. I'm already really stressed about THAT. The Aspertame- yuck, yuck, yuck. I have already cut back on sugar tremendously and realize this is a life long commitment. I too feel that I will have to use the real or safer alternatives in moderation. I'm looking for a substitute product or even a recipe that I can make while I need Jello that does not contain Aspertame. You look like you are making great progress. Congrats and keep up the great work :)

I can't eat most sugar substitutes, including stevia as they trigger my allergies. I seem to be okay with small amounts of Monkfruit or sucralose. However in general I simply avoid them. I've learned to use less of the real deal. At home I mostly use raw honey. I will also use real sugar and occasion real maple sugar or date paste.

I'm new to this forum so I didn't know how to reply. I replied to your suggestion. Thanks :)

BLERDgirl :) Thanks for the reply. I will have the option of trying these substitutes down the road. I haven't done my PREP group yet, that is in a few weeks. I do think I was told that they have you eat SF Jello after the surgery and for like a week while in the liquid phase. I'm already really stressed about THAT. The Aspertame- yuck, yuck, yuck. I have already cut back on sugar tremendously and realize this is a life long commitment. I too feel that I will have to use the real or safer alternatives in moderation. I'm looking for a substitute product or even a recipe that I can make while I need Jello that does not contain Aspertame. You look like you are making great progress. Congrats and keep up the great work :)

You don't have to eat the jello or any of the artificial food subs. It's more challenging but you can do it. I don't eat jello. I am allergic to several things and vegetarian. Besides the fact that I dislike jello, the artificial food coloring is also an allergy trigger for me. However, you have to have a frank discussion with the nutritionist about alternatives. Post op I was give ProSource no carb, I was also allowed tea and veg broth. I also used Isopure unflavored whey Protein powder and added that to veg broth and greek yogurt. One of the few flavored Protein powders I could tolerate was CVS brand whey protein. It comes in vanilla, chocolate canisters and also Cookies n' creme and strawberry packets. Additonally I drank Kefir (a yogurt drink). It was 2 long weeks but I made it. Thankfully I didn't have a pre-op diet.

@@twinmomC

Hi there! I too have big issues with almost all artificial sweeteners. I avoid them as much as possible before my surgery and now after I cannot even tolerate that overly sickly sweet taste of the.

I will use real sugar, honey or agave in small amounts and I have no problem.

In terms of the pre op diet and the liquid diet post surgery. I chose not to use sf Jello or sf Popsicles ever. I simply stuck to Protein shakes, good homemade chicken stock, watered down apple juice and lots of Water.

Your bariatric team will help you with an appropriate plan.

Good luck to you!

I'm pre- surgical and about 2+ months from surgery. I was wondering if anyone had any information on alternatives to Aspertame in many of the products I think I will be told to consume after surgery? It's not that it's "not sugar", the stuff has always made me feel yucky and lets not get started on the taste. I do not know if I can make that transition. As for the liquid and soft portion of recovery, does anyone have any suggestions for Jello, etc that does not contain Aspertame. I've done Splenda, tried Stevia and most recently Monkfruit. Let's face it, they aren't sugar and that is OK. My body has told me time and time again though that it does not like Aspertame. I have enough fears going into this and don't want this to be another of them. Thanks for any suggestions or ideas in advance :))

Not sure if you're saying you are or are not okay with stevia but that was the only "not sugar" sugar that I have done since surgery. For my 2 week pre and post op I made my own Popsicles using Vitamin Water zero. I also made my own jello using Kool Aid packets and Stevia. Google Kool aid jello and then just substitute stevia for however much sugar the recipe calls for. I also made my own pudding using Greek yogurt (check what sweeteners in ingredients) and unsweetened cocoa powder. It's more work than just buying everything pre made but it was worth it for me. Plus it's only a few weeks and then you should never have to do it again :)

Edited by sunflowerchild

My doctor is super strict and no artificials sweetners are allowed. Only under 5g of sugar per "meal" but it has to be natural sugar.

My doctor is super strict and no artificials sweetners are allowed. Only under 5g of sugar per "meal" but it has to be natural sugar.

I think I like that idea. My 2nd RD appointment in in the books. I go back to Chicago the 13th for my PREP group and complete my 3rd appt with dietician later in the month. I will be sure to ask about artificial sweetners. I despise them for health reasons, but also because they taste just horrible. No sugar or just a tiny bit has to be better than using them. Thanks!!

Aspartame gives me horrific Migraines, so I will be asking at my appt what alternatives they could offer or recommend. I do use Splenda without any problem, but I don't know of too many products made with Splenda that would be good for pre op or post op diets.

Aspartame also triggers bad Migraines for me. I figured I was just going to have to deal with it for a couple of months. I assumed the Protein Drinks are sweetened with aspartame. Does anyone know what the most popular ones are sweetened with?

The one I get from whole foods isn't sweetened at all or flavored which is nice because I can make it my own way with either fruit or Splenda and cocoa powder for a chocolaty Protein smoothie I can stomach without headaches. It's just a whey Protein Powder, but not sure if it meets the needs of the pre or post op diets yet.

Aspartame also triggers bad Migraines for me. I figured I was just going to have to deal with it for a couple of months. I assumed the Protein drinks are sweetened with aspartame. Does anyone know what the most popular ones are sweetened with?

it varies greatly. Sucrolouse (Splenda) which is sugar based is really popular. If it says "no artificial sweeteners) it's typically stevia which is derived from the stevia plant. I prefer to buy unflavored whey & make my own in the nutra bullet

So glad I found this topic. My surgery is August 14th and my pre-op diet starts on the 10th. I am so stressed about the artificial sweeteners. I absolutely hate them. I am not a sweet eater in general so realistically can I get by with broth and Water for 3 weeks?