Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for post-opers

I would like to know how the pre-op diet affected anyone's surgery. Does it really make a difference 3 days clear, low carb, no carb? I am day four and hate the Medafast products from my Dr. Would it make a difference if I switched shake brands or diets? Did anyone cheat and have a problem?

I was told the purpose was to shrink a potentially fatty liver so that the sleeve surgery would go through without a glitch. The NUT & surgical nurse told us that the surgery could be stopped if the liver is too fatty. I didn't want to risk it so I stayed pretty true to the diet.

How long is your pre-op diet?

Are you required to lose a specific amount?

My preop plan consisted of 3-4 Protein shakes and Clear liquids for 10 days. I already knew i had a fatty liver from an ultrasound when i had my gallbladder removed 7 months ago so i made sure i stuck to the plan. After surgery, i asked my surgeon how my liver looked and he said PERFECT! So, the preop diet works plus you lose weight which is an added bonus:)

Have you tried mixing sugar free Jello (powder) with your shakes? It really helped me during this phase.

Edited by shani22404

I agree with sticking to the pre-op diet but I am sure you can use any high Protein, low-fat shake. I think Premier makes one of the best. 30 g Protein and only 140 calories. Good luck!

I think you should go by what your surgeon says. I specifically asked my surgeon if I could use other products, such as Oh Yeah shakes, Pure Protein shakes, etc., he said "you must use the Bariatric Advantage shakes". So I did.

But I agree, mix in some SF FF Jello pudding mix in with the shake to change up the taste

@shani22404...I am on day 11 of my 14 day liquid diet and I have been drinking my Protein Shakes but it's a struggle...the chocolate I have is so gross. Even the smell of it makes me gag. I bought this one with my surgeons recommendation (bariatric fusion chocolate) but just reading your post about adding sugar free pudding or Jello mix to my Protein Shake might do the trick. Thank you! ????

I bought the products from my surgeon's clinic. I had to do a two week liquid diet: 4 shakes a day and Water. I hated their shakes so I switched to the Premier shakes. Doc said my liver looked great for surgery. I'd always advise speaking with your dietician/nutritionist first but the point of the surgery is to drop quick weight to shrink your liver. So I can't see why switching products would hurt if you are looking to just switch to a different shake. I was allowed to use any shake as long as it met certain requirements: under 200 calories, 25+ grams of Protein and low sugars and carbs. But again - it's always good to have the conversation with you doc or dietician. I lost 26lbs during this time period so it was well worth it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches