Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op - (6 months +) what is your calorie intake

Entering my 6 month Post-Op.

I was just curious what everyone's calorie intake was at this point and further out.

I have no issues getting in my 60g Protein so I am looking at calories and what realistically I should be looking at.

My NUT said I shouldn't have to worry about calories for a year.

Yeah...not so sure about that now that I'm eating everything well.

I go between 1100-1400 calories.

I almost had a heart attack the day I saw that i ate 1400 calories!! (but it was good calories)

Which is funny considering my previous life where I would eat double or triple that and think nothing of it.

Yes, I know everyone is different and yes, I know that if you eat more than you burn - you will gain (Thank God for my fitbit to show me where I am)

I'll cross the 6-month threshold in 10 days, and my surgeon's office is similarly unwilling to suggest the number of calories to shoot for. Like you, I have no trouble exceeding Protein and Water goals, and am starting to wonder about calories even though they say not to worry about it. I've had my goals on myfitnesspal set to 800 calories/day from the beginning and was averaging that for a long time. But I've started increasing my intake over the past month or so as I've been running more. I think 1100 is probably a better goal at this stage, but I get so nervous when I go about 1000.

I remember learning that the 2-week pre-surgery diet was limited to 1300 calories/day and thinking that I'd never be able to make such a drastic cut. Now I find it difficult to accept eating so many even on an exceptional day. It's amazing how your perspective can change in 6 months.

Oh my gosh I know! Your comment about the pre surgery diet calories and perspective of today is spot on!!

I looked back and actually I average 800-900 I had a busy week last week and my calories were higher only that week. Which is what prompted the post.

For sure my perspective has changed drastically. As has my tolerance for "bad for you" food. I don't even go to the kitchen at work because there is always treats or junk in there for one reason or another. It literally makes me sick to my stomach to even smell it!

I am only 7 wks but the NUT in my program said that our goal should be around 1200 good calories.

I have been wondering the same thing and have the same response from my drs. office. They want me to focus on getting in the Protein and Water and nutritious food and not worry about the calories. However, I have had a day here and there where I was at 1300+. I have had several at the 1100 range. I went on a website and put in my age, height and activity level. It gave me the calories needed to maintain weight, lose weight (1-2 lbs/day) and to lose weight rapidly (2+ lbs/wk). I can't find that website right now or I would put the link here. However, it gave me a good target to shoot for. I think the further out we are and the more we can tolerate, it becomes increasingly important to make smart food choices. There are many choices that I have that are good for me. Some are higher in calories. If I choose a lot of cheese and nut Snacks, I might choose to end my day with an 80 calorie greek yogurt rather than Peanut Butter. I hope this makes sense. I am 5' 4" and feel I need to stay below 1300 to continue to lose 2 lbs a week with a light activity level. I am not exercising as much as some. I had a complicated sinus surgery procedure a couple weeks ago and my dr. does not want me straining, lifting, breathing heavy (as with cardio), etc. for a couple more weeks.