Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I'm curious as to where everyone is this far out. I'm slowly coming along now as I expect the loss isn't pouring out at this point. It's been ok for me, no complications. I'm working out a lot but my eating isn't the best. I'm not sure what to expect approaching a year mark. So what has your journey been like? Any tips would be great.

I am just one year post-op. Things are mostly normal for me now. I had no complications, hit goal and then lost a few more, and feel well adjusted to this new way of eating.

I think the most important thing I did was use that 'honeymoon' period to reset the way my brain views food. I did a lot of work the first several months learning and relying on new coping skills. I used to just eat eat eat my emotions down. Now I allow myself to fully feel whatever uncomfortable emotion I'm experiencing and then I deal with that emotion by taking a long walk, driving my old truck, doing yoga, journaling, etc...

I still have heartburn when I eat too big of bites. Water is still not easy to drink. I no longer want fried food or Pasta. I hate breaded foods and will normall pick all the breading off. I'm not eating enough vegetables because I'm always too full after eating Protein. I eat full fat milk, butter, and cheese. I still love my proetin hot chocolate drink every morning. My biggest no no is Cookies or donuts and milk as a late night snack, but I don't feel guilty because it's just 1-2 Cookies OR 2 mini-donuts with one cup of milk. I go out to eat several times per week and have learned how to make good food choices. I can eat for so much cheaper now!

This surgery has done a wonderful thing for me....it gave me the opportunity to hit the RESET button on my relationship with food. Now it's simply fuel for my body, not an emotional salve for my hurts.

Good luck to you on your journey!! It's definietly been an amazing ride so far.

This is very inspiring, thank you for sharing! Especially for those of us that are newbies and really struggling with this new journey.

Edited by DreamsComeTrue15

I'm 10 months out. My loss has been a little on the slow side, but I'm getting there. Through patience and persistence, I am now 10 pounds to goal.

And yes, @@Butterflyhigh said it perfectly. My relationship with food has changed completely. It's all about eating real, nutritious food now. I rarely eat processed food anymore, and because I'm pretty much a stickler, I will very rarely have something sweet besides fruit or my morning protien shake. (Yes, I still do a protien shake every morning) It's not to say I won't have a bite of cake or candy on occasion, I just think it can be a slippery slope for me, so I choose to mostly stay away. That goes for bread, Pasta, rice and potato also.

I have also become an exercise nut. I began running, and now run 3 miles every other day. I never in a million years thought at 48 years old I would be running! The only running I did before was in my car to the store for my ice cream cravings!

Other than some really good restriction still, I feel completely normal. And healthy. I think mostly avoiding carbs and sweets, always eating protien first, and constantly drinking fluids throughout the day has helped me become successful. In other words, sticking with the rules given to me from the beginning, even at 10 months out. It really does work ;)

I will be 9 months out next week and am still extremely strict on my program. I've lost 115 lbs and I am 12 lbs to goal. I feel amazing. I do not cheat. Not even a bite. Have never had cake or sweets or bread, rice, Pasta, etc.... For me, it is just better to avoid it entirely. I'm still losing about 8 lbs a month give or take. I have points where I stall a bit but then it starts moving again. I will probably adjust my original goal a bit. Depends on how I feel when I get there. Good luck!

Hi everyone. I'm curious as to where everyone is this far out. I'm slowly coming along now as I expect the loss isn't pouring out at this point. It's been ok for me, no complications. I'm working out a lot but my eating isn't the best. I'm not sure what to expect approaching a year mark. So what has your journey been like? Any tips would be great.

you can expect your loss to slow down and your body will begin to maintain. you should still work on your eating, because trust me, u can gain it back. i gained about 8 lbs over a few months, but it began with the holidays. and i was doing less cardio. so just be mindful from here on out. good luck...

I am 8 mos out and I definitely have to work for it now. Alcohol = no loss, or even a gain, and I have to keep carbs out. I started running and that has helped, but I really do need to stick to the program as much as possible to see success.

Good luck to you!

I am 4 months out. Happy with my weight loss so far. I am not limited as to what I can eat but definitely feel the restriction and get full fast. I started working out a lot, doing a lot of pilates, zumba, biking etc. I stay away from carbs and sweets (minus an occasional bite of a birthday cake). A couple of months ago I purchased the book "Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success" and have found it really helpful. It's an excellent read for any sleever no matter what stage of the game you are at. In general, I'm feeling great and actually looking forward to summer now instead of dreading it in the past because of how heavy I was. Keep up the good work, thanks for sharing your journey everyone :)