Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder removal day of Sleeve surgery and deductible

I have to pay out of pocket towards my deductible for my gastric sleeve surger. Now it turns out that my gallbladder has to be removed as well because of stones. Has anyone had this issue and did you have to pay extra towards the deductible or did the surgeon just remove the gallbladder and bill the insurance company? Surgery is scheduled for 07/21/2015!! Im super excited and scared at the same time.. :)

On most policies your deductible for the year is a set amount. That amount shouldn't change just because he is going to remove your gall bladder at the same time he does your gastric sleeve. He should just bill the insurance company. It will push up the overall price of the surgery so that may effect how much you pay in co-insurance. It should not effect the deductible or any co-pays.

I never pay deductibles or co-insurance up front. You deductible may be satisfied on the anesthesia bill rather than the surgeon. I don't want to mess around with having to get my money back from the surgeon to pay the anesthesiologist or lab or pre-op EKG place or radiologist ect... With your pre-op testing you may satisfy some or all of your deductible.

I will pay my co-pay at time of service.

Thats what I was thinking. My surgeons insurance cordinator is supposed to be getting back to me on that but I figured while I wait on her response I would just ask on this forum to see if anyone had the same issue. Thanks for your response.

I'm also having my gallbladder removed at the same time as my sleeve procedure. My doctor had to keep both separate since I'm self-pay for the sleeve and going through my insurance for the gallbladder. All my hospital pre- op testing was included in the sleeve payment, the hospital told me I had to meet my deductible for the gallbladder surgery, but they're billing me for that. I'm just glad it's all happening at the same time, next Tuesday! :-)

Well I heard from my sureons office and they said I would have to pay additional fees for the removal of my gallbladder if my out of pocket maximum hasnt been met which it hasnt. I will not know until next week those fees because the finance manager is out on vacation. The good thing is that my stone is not obstructing and im not double over in pain. I can just have sleeve done and worry about gallbladder later. :) if the surgeon agrees to that that is.. LOL.. Im discouraged and dissapointed at this point.

This is tough and I'm sorry you are going through it.

Having had my own (earlier in life) gallbladder problems, I wouldn't recommend waiting to have something done about it - the pain can go from nothing to 200 for seemingly no reason.

Though I had my own removed in college (like 20 years ago), my understanding is that many people who have WLS surgery develop gallbladder issues. If you're having WLS surgery and know about it now, why opt for two recoveries by having something done later? I would have it all taken care of at once.

That's my opinion with the following caveats - a. I don't know your financial situation and b. you should talk to the surgeon (if you haven't already) as he or she might have some helpful advice.

Edited by no onions

I'm also having my gallbladder removed at the same time as my sleeve procedure. My doctor had to keep both separate since I'm self-pay for the sleeve and going through my insurance for the gallbladder. All my hospital pre- op testing was included in the sleeve payment, the hospital told me I had to meet my deductible for the gallbladder surgery, but they're billing me for that. I'm just glad it's all happening at the same time, next Tuesday! :-)

Hi Qbanma81 -

I'm having my gallbladder and sleeve done at the same time. For me - they found two polyps in my gallbladder and the surgeon highly advised to have it removed. The coordinator also mentioned that many patients do have issues with their gallbladders once they go down 45 to 50 pounds - so I think it would be good to get it out now - I don't want to be put under twice for something I can do now. My surgery is coming up in 3 days, I'm nervous but ready.

I have already met my 500 deductible and I am about 175 dollars away from meeting my out of pocket and I am almost sure that either the hospital or anesthesiologist will probably bill before the Surgeon does - hopefully. That way my surgery would be actually 100% covered, if not I will have to pay 10% of the cost. I'm crossing my fingers.

A bit of advice - Be Proactive - It took me a while to understand all the health insurance lingo and this journey has taught me quite a bit, but another thing -I learned is that I had to make the independent choice to call my insurance carrier myself and inquire about my questions. I was always online tracking my expenses, co-pays and twice I caught errors and made sure they were fixed - mainly from different health offices billing the wrong amount or not following thru on a pre-authorization during the pre-op process. I found that not every health facility has the same billing practices, so you have to stay alert.

Best of luck :)

Thank you everyone for the great advice! I am going to have both done at the same time. If its more than what my pocket can handle I will just re- schedule my surgery for August. The kids are going back to school August 3rd and we all know the expense that comes with back to school for the kids.. :) I'm not going to toy arouind with my health. My babies need me.. I will add yall to my friends list and update yall once I find out next week how much more they are tagging on me. LOL..best wishes for all.

No extra out of pocket expense!!! yay!! :D :D :D Pre op on 7/15 and surgery is on 07/21!