Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

so I'm losing weight quickly and safely, T +14 and feeling great, etc., now entering blended foods diet.

I was wondering: once I can eat regular food again, can anyone recommend any Snacks that would be good

to carry around? In my life, I'm never at home, constantly in trains and the like, and would love if there was a

high-Protein thingy I could just carry in my bag at all times. Any thoughts? Thx.

My snack ideas are cheese sticks, nuts (preportioned), P3s (it's like a lunchable with only meat, cheese, and nuts), Jerky, and Protein bars. I mostly take some cheese to eat in the car on the way to work and then drink a shake for lunch. I don't get a chance to eat between Breakfast and lunch.

I would say, if you can, get out of the habit of snacking. It's the thing I see most commonly referred to as the downfall of people who either never reach goal or start regaining. If you must snack, stay with something low carb like turkey Jerky. Personally I think Protein Bars are the devil -- loaded up with carbs and are basically candy bars masquerading as something healthy because they have Protein Powder added in.

I would say, if you can, get out of the habit of snacking. It's the thing I see most commonly referred to as the downfall of people who either never reach goal or start regaining. If you must snack, stay with something low carb like turkey Jerky. Personally I think Protein bars are the devil -- loaded up with carbs and are basically candy bars masquerading as something healthy because they have Protein powder added in.

Thanks for this, Bufflehead, but I should have expressed myself better: we are supposed to eat mini-meals every 3-4 hours, so that's what I mean by "snacking"; I can't stay home all day long (work, life, etc.) in order to cook those mini-meals so I was wondering what I could carry with me which would be considered as acceptable, protein-based food. Thanks again, RB

Once you are on solids, there are a bunch of non-perishable snack options. Nuts, Jerky, and "beef" sticks come to mind. I put "beef" in quotations there, because there are actually a variety of meat snack stick options available, including turkey and more exotic meats like ostrich, duck, alligator, buffalo, karibu..... They can be lower in fat than beef.

Edit: Plus there is the Protein bar option, obviously.

My favorite food items to keep on hand are (not in any particular order):

1. Beef Jerky - Simm's from Aldi's (if you have one near you)
  2. Protein bars
  3. Boiled eggs
  4. Turkey or ham roll-ups
  5. Peanut Butter (get some individuals for easy transport)
  6. cheese sticks, Babybels, or measure out 1 oz. pieces of the cheese of your choice and put in a snack bag
  7. Protein shake, premade (with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, you can make your shakes a day ahead per Unjury dietitian). I've been known to drink them 2 days after making and they've been fine.)
  8. Nuts. My favorites are cashews and almonds.
  9. Celery filled with flavored cream cheese or pimento cheese (not high Protein, but filling).