Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain after surgery - I'm afraid I won't be able to handle it

Hi everyone. I've been planning on getting sleeved in about 8 weeks. BUT my bariatric surgeon removed my gallbladder about 15 hours ago as treatment for gallstones (he didn't recommend doing it at the same time as the sleeve, so two operations for me). In the past two of my kids were born by caesarean and I coped with that ok. But I am in such pain tonight, especially from the incision in my naval where the scope went in, I'm beginning to think I won't be able to handle the sleeve operation. What if it is even worse than the gallbladder surgery??? I'm not sure if I should go ahead with the sleeving. Does anyone have any advice or experience to help me? Cheers, from Cathy in Canberra

Cathy,

You're only 15 hours post-op...did they give you any pain medications? I don't remember there being much pain with the sleeve surgery, however the misery comes from not being able to eat. The first 24 hours you can't drink anything, but you're so doped on drugs you don't notice much. The next week or so is clear fluids only and then a week or two after that is full fluids. The pain of sleeve surgery is minimal because you are given good drugs the first few days and then after that it's more of a soreness. The unpleasant part is feeling awful because you can't eat anything. In the end though, it is worth it. :)

I agree with AvaFern. You have every right as a patient to demand adequate pain management. Otherwise, why are they always asking about our pain levels. Make sure they give you a prescription for pain relief when you get home. Take it regulary for a few days whether you are hurting at the moment or not. It is important to be proactive and get ahead of the pain.

My sleeve was my 12th surgery after an appendectomy, abdominal exploratory, 2 c-sections, shoulder arthroscopy, gallbladder (1973 - back when they still cut you half in two), knee arthroscopy, two knee replacements, cervical spinal fusion, and heel spur. My sleeve was the easiest recovery and the least painful of all. I took hydrocodone for two days after I got home, and beyond that, none was needed.

The two most aggravating things about my sleeve were pre-op: the waiting between procedures, appointments, and insurance approval and then the liquid diet. Meh. You have a large bariatric family who have been through this and lived to tell about.

The trick with reducing pain post-op is to not be lifting anything over five pounds, and rising carefully so that you don't pull on your wounds. Of course, get your fluids in and don't be shy about getting all the rest you can for a while.

@@Miss Mac is spot on. I had an open partial hysterectomy in 2009 and it took me 4 weeks to be able to get up without pain.

With my sleeve, I was off pain meds after day 3 and driving to the store on day 5. I did my pain meds and took them as prescribed but started to stretch out the time because it really wasn't bad at all. You will do fine.

Compared to the plastics I had 4 years ago, the pain from sleeve was NOTHING. Besides, pain is temporary, your sleeve is forever. The pain of the sleeve, isn't going to KILL you and it will only last at most a week or two. You'll be enjoying the benefits of your sleeve for years to come. Small price to pay.

I had a lot of pain after my sleeve! Gallbladder surgery and it's hard to describe it's a different kind of pain. But in both cases I made sure I had a good pain pills and pain management! Generally I have a high tolerance to pain. But for me, being sleeve was hard! But it is only for a time and it was worth the sacrifice.

Edited by LadyK44

My band to sleeve surgery was 5/5. The worst part of the surgery was the pain from where my old lap band port had been. I had my gallbladder removed when my band was put in (8 years ago) and the pain was much greater that time. I was a little sore for a few weeks...again, mostly from the port site. Best wishes.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. As an update to my situation, after a sleepless night I saw my surgeon this morning. He said he had to do a lot of pushing around with the scope in the incision to get it into the right position and it will likely be sore for about a week. I had my procedure at 9 am yesterday, but was still in post op till about 3 pm, and since the op my blood pressure and oxygen levels have been lower than normal. During the night I was given three endone tabs and some Panadol after a lot of asking for pain relief. I was sent home from hospital this morning with a pack of OxyContin and a pack of panadeine forte. It is still extremely painful, and as we live in a country town an hour away from Canberra, the car trip home was not good. Luckily the other three incisions are fine. But it feels like I have been ripped apart behind my belly button. I wouldn't normally consider myself to have a low pain threshold, but this was so much worse than I expected. Thanks for your words of encouragement and advice. I'm thinking carefully about what I should do next. Best wishes, Catherine.

Congrats you are home! Make sure to take your meds!

Edited by LadyK44

I had a tubal ligation after my third child was born while in the hospital and it was ten times worse than my sleeve surgery. Not sure why but it was!

If pain is your real concern working with your doctor is you best option! When I had sleeve surgery I prepared myself by taking a pillow for the ride home and making sure I took medications before I left the hospital! Yes it was painful! But today I'm so much more healthier. And I'm still working on it. It is your body only you can decide!

You can handle it hon.just make sure you have. Good pain meds and never just let yourself lay in bed be sick feeling. I was never afraid to let the nurses know when i felt sick.they always took care of that. Plus i had a good pain pump good pain meds after the pump was removed.

Hey Cathy,

Everyone's surgeries and pain tolerance is different, but my sleeve and incisions was relatively pain free. If anything, there were stings the night of the op, but you are hooked up to a pain machine that you can press for instant relief. I didn't tolerate that product well, (fentinyl?) And had nausea, which kept my mind off any other discomfort I might have had. So I ended up having small endone tabs (even tho I wasn't in pain) the next night when I could swallow liquid. I think the worst is the hiccups, but that gets better too. Every day gets better and less uncomfortable than the last, I promise.

Also by day 3 when you go home, there was no pain. Could easily pop a panadol if you want for the road home. Maybe ask your driver to bring a pillow in the car as a brace for you to hug for any bumps or if you get the hiccups.

I didn't have any pain with the surgery. I had a major headache from caffeine withdrawal and my left shoulder was super painful from the gas. And they took away my arthritis medication and my knees still hurt badly. But the actual surgery spots not at all.

I had morphine twice and the liquid Vicodan once in the 3 days I was in the hospital. I didn't take anything once I got home. I now have this big bottle of liquid Vicodan I didn't use at all.