Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I really do this..? More than half my body weight to lose

I think that it depends on the person and how you use the tool. I also worry if I will be able to lose over 1/2 my body weight, it seems like an impossible task. About the gastric bypass...

I had a friend that had gastric bypass, they started around 380, and after about a year was 220, and striving for onderland. They worked out 6 days a week, walking/running 5 miles, etc. Then this person started going out and partying, slacked on working out, eventually met some and started dating serious. Stopped losing weight all together, because they stopped using their tool. 1.5 years out they started having hunger even with the bypass.

All of that is to say it really depends on you and how you use it. Just like you, I chose the sleeve over the bypass, because I dis not want something that invasive, and the life long malabsorption. When discussing it with Doctors they all said that the sleeve and RNY have the same long term outcome. My Doctors said that if you are young and you can move, then you don't need RNY, that they save that now more older and more immobile people.

Thank you guys for all of your supportive words, I am just mainly worried about not reaching my goals, all of you guys are doing so fabulously well, this renews a lot of hope for my surgery. I have family friends (a mom and all 3 kids) that have had bypass 10+ years ago, and their results have been a mixed bag as far as success goes, but they all wish that sleeve or even the band was an option when they started.

Hearing about the successes that you all have had is so inspiring, thank you all (:

Doctors speak in generalities based on statistics of large populations. But YOU speak for YOU. Your individual strengths and desires determine the amount of weight you'll lose. Don't worry, I need to lose 210+ lbs to get to a healthy BMI, so I'm taking the journey right along with you.

Thank you guys for all of your supportive words, I am just mainly worried about not reaching my goals, all of you guys are doing so fabulously well, this renews a lot of hope for my surgery. I have family friends (a mom and all 3 kids) that have had bypass 10+ years ago, and their results have been a mixed bag as far as success goes, but they all wish that sleeve or even the band was an option when they started.

Hearing about the successes that you all have had is so inspiring, thank you all (:

Doctors speak in generalities based on statistics of large populations. But YOU speak for YOU. Your individual strengths and desires determine the amount of weight you'll lose. Don't worry, I need to lose 210+ lbs to get to a healthy BMI, so I'm taking the journey right along with you.

207 for me. That's too big a number to focus on. I just focus on the next 10lbs. When I lose that, the next 10. My current goal is to lose 10 more by August. After that I'd like to be at 100lb+ by my 1 year anniversary.

I find it helpful not to look at a specific number as a goal. For me the goal is wellness. That means eating right and exercise. It doesn't mean restriction, deprivation or dieting. I plan for occasions where their will be cake or ice cream. I plan for movie nights. I make room in my life for a well rounded menu. I don't ever think in terms of cheat meals or diets. I approach every day trying to do better. I'm always on the lookout for new things to do and try.
I will have to try to look at it that way as well. I am the kind of person where one slip leads to a landslide! But then again, planning has never been a strong suit of mine. I will definitely be taking your advice here!

The preop diet is hard! I questioned myself a lot during those 2 weeks! After surgery it is tons easier! I am never hungry. Like ever. I have to force myself to get the Protein and adequate nutrition in. I love my sleeve. Best decision I've made, I just wish I would've had it sooner!

Preop 263

Current 230

I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow

Good luck!

Wow, 30 pounds in 4 weeks! Great job (:

My starting weight was 278, 1st goal was 145 (reached at 10 months post op) & current weight is 124 (reached about 3 weeks ago). This (125) was my "dream goal" that I never thought would be attainable but I've lost over 155 pounds, which is more than 1/2 my body weight in 20 months.

You should check out my blog (linked below). I started it at my first pre-op appt (about 9 months pre-op) & update it still now. It will definitely answer your questions like was it worth it (a million time YES) & would you have the bypass instead (no).

Hope that helps

And YES!! You really can do this!

I am not exactly in your position, but at 5'4" and 235 pounds, I had 100 pounds to lose. I am a slow loser and will hit my 18 month mark on the 23rd, so I am almost to goal. Having that extra 100 pounds was like wearing a two month old colt for a belt.

When I lost the first 30 pounds, I was already feeling benefits from the surgery. I could walk easier and stand up straighter. At fifty pounds down, my bed was starting to feel bigger and exercise seemed like something to do rather than something to avoid. Now that I am almost there, my insides feel better; I actually feel healthier.

If you wanted to lose 150 pounds, that would be a colt and twin toddlers!

If you wanted to lose 175 pounds, that would be a colt and a full-grown Irish Setter!

If you wanted to lose 185 pounds, that would be a colt, a bale of hay and a medium sized microwave!

Whatever amount of weight you lose, you will be ahead of the game and healthier for it. Just think - if you can lose 150 pounds, the you will be a 200 pound person who wants to lose 35 pounds. If you can lose 150, what's another 35 over time? Hitting 200 doesn't mean that you have to stay that way forever. Anyway, losing 150 pounds, plus floppity skin removal (panniculectomy) and a Tummy Tuck will put you close to your goal.

Congratulations that you have decided to take this step early on. I lived my whole adult life hidden inside another person's miserable body, and it took a stroke to get my attention. Think of your sleeve as a gift instead of a burden. Your quality of life will be so much better for you. Hugs from Miss Mac in Chicago.

And contrary to what Christen Cavaleri (actress and wife of Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler) says, Chicago is a great place to live.

I started out at 331, and six months post op I'm at 185. I have about 20 more pounds to go before I hit the "half my former size" goal, but it seems to be going well. My surgeon said that at 207 pounds I would be at the average success level for the sleeve. I've just kept on going and I plan to keep on. My ultimate goal is about 140, but 150 will put me at the normal bmi range. I think there are plenty of people on here who have lost 90-100% of their excess weight and I hope to join them. Good luck!

ETA: I had lost 50 pounds preop, I didn't lose all that in just 6 months.

I've wavered back and forth on whether I wish I would have had bypass. Mostly because I'm a slow loser and an impatient person (not a good combination). Keep in mind, you can still get dumping syndrome with the sleeve. I have issues with fried foods, spicy foods, dairy and anything too rich (sweet) or if I eat too fast or a bite too much. The sleeve does not necessarily equal the easy way vs the bypass. I know people with the bypass with a lot less issues than I've had. While the sweets can be a factor, it should not be the only factor you use when deciding on which surgery is best for you. I encourage you to go to the bypass forums and ask them questions too. Of course in the sleeve forums, we're going to all say how fabulous it is.

That being said, I'm glad I got the sleeve. I'm 8 months out and I've lost 80lbs. I have around 30 to go. I do think you can lose this weight. It felt impossible for all of us in the beginning. But if you put your head down and focus on 10lbs at a time, you'll be amazed at how far you've come at 6 months, 9 months, etc.

My weight was over 400 when I stared. I knew going in this was for the long haul . I'm 9mths and nearly 100lbs down with no preop diet. I think it's entirely possible., it just takes commitment .

You can do it! I've lost about 180 lbs and have approximately 30 lbs to go. I am still losing without much trouble (after a bit of a Detour through some months of eating horribly -- but now I am back on track and doing well. I will get to my goal this fall or possibly even late summer.

I am 13 months out from my vertical sleeve surgery and my surgeon recently commented that I have lost over 120% of my excess weight (from 244 down to 110). I think the statistics that lead surgeons to believe that the gastric bypass was more efficacious than the sleeve were from studies that looked at one year to 18 months results. At two years, the stats for both surgeries are about the same. Don't make your decision based on estimates of possible weight loss. Either WLS can be successful if you follow your surgeon's instructions and either can fail due to noncompliance with the bariatric program. If you decide that you are willing to make the lifelong changes that WLS requires, choose the type of surgery based on the one you believe will do the most to improve your long term health and the least to harm it. For me, that was VSG. For someone else, it might be GB.

@@xxjosettexx hi you absolutely can lose what u need to with a sleeve I was over a hundred lbs more than you and I'm 3.5 months post op I've lost nearly 100 lbs some surgeons try to push GB instead of sleeve it's your decision not theirs remember that best of luck

My gosh I can only hope that I do as well as you all have! You guys are all amazing inspirations to me! Thank you guys so much for offering insight and support during my time of doubt (:

Are you pre op or post op?? I'd love to keep in touch! We can do this!! (:

@@xxjosettexx So did you have your surgery three days ago? How are you doing?

I am doing well now, the first day after surgery I had to be readmitted to the hospital due to dehydration and pain because I couldn't keep my meds or liquids down. I was discharged on Thursday and I have felt great the past two days! Just trying to get my sips in and walk!

Xxjosettexx good luck and on grays I am 14 days out of having the sleeve at 12 days gad my post op and I am 20 lbs down with no pre op diet just taking it day by day and seen the results just makes you want to keep following your plan. My suggestion to you is walk and sip sip and tour Vitamins

You can do it! I am 5'7 and started at 371lbs (my surgery was only 2.5 weeks ago). My surgeon asked me my goal weight and I said I wanted to be under 200 but ideally 175. He told me that was completely realistic and he felt he could get me there in 6mos to a year. That is with the understanding that I need to follow his guidelines and exercise.

Will the surgery alone get you there - I can't say for sure. But with the right mind set and commitment to the process... you can get anywhere you want to go!

I find it helpful not to look at a specific number as a goal. For me the goal is wellness. That means eating right and exercise. It doesn't mean restriction, deprivation or dieting. I plan for occasions where their will be cake or ice cream. I plan for movie nights. I make room in my life for a well rounded menu. I don't ever think in terms of cheat meals or diets. I approach every day trying to do better. I'm always on the lookout for new things to do and try.
I will have to try to look at it that way as well. I am the kind of person where one slip leads to a landslide! But then again, planning has never been a strong suit of mine. I will definitely be taking your advice here!

I've learned that planning is my friend. I log my food at myfitnesspal each and every day. I even plan and allow for having cake at a party and things like that. It makes me more conscience of what I'm eating instead of deceiving myself into thinking it's just a small piece or a little bite. I also work out 5 -6 days a week or more even if it's just a 30 minute walk.

You can do it with the sleeve if you work and commit to it! It's a tool. Yea it's probably easier to lose that much with bypass, but the only limits to the sleeve are what YOU make of it.

I lost almost exactly half of my body weight in a year. 271 to 135. I am 5'6". I have completely changed my eating. I could eat around my sleeve (what we sleevers call it when you eat more frequently and foods that are easy to consume more of like crackers/chips/etc) but I don't. I exercise. A lot.

I am also 45, you have youth on your side which can help (you have a better metabolism and less up and down history/damage and more energy to exercise) and hurt (possibly less likely to commit to the lifestyle change and realize this is the rest of your life--not lose the weight and then "get back to normal").

But my point is, you CAN do it with the sleeve. And yes, I have a bit of cake now and then (and not just twice a year) and I indulge, but it's a few bites or such. But it takes work. The bypass is easier in some ways because of the malabsorption--you can lose more weight more quickly and possibly with less work. But it has its drawbacks as you've learned.

Know that some sleevers experience dumping too though. Or food intolerances. Not as many, but some. I can't eat rice anymore at all or carbonation. Dairy was hard for a while and eggs. And too much sugar will make me somewhat sick, but I can do it in limited amounts.

Pros and cons both ways!

Are you pre op or post op?? I'd love to keep in touch! We can do this!! (:

I am pre-op! Already on my pre-op diet, go in for surgery July 13th. I'd love to keep in touch. Hope your pain is getting better!

I am also older (51) and post menopausal. So yeah, hormones and such make this more of a challenge. I just know I have to work my butt off to be successful so I do.

Looking at your pic your are gorgeous and young!You can do this thing!200 pounds ain't bad at your height and if you do nothing then it will be worse.You are young without the history of yo yo diet over many years.At 19 you can do it!!Get it done!