Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced what I have. My recovery from this surgery has been altogether abysmal and disappointing. One of the worst things has been this rash I have had to tolerate. This rash manifested about 7 days post-op, I got my surgery April 27th. My surgeon didn't know, he suspected from the betadine used to wash me when I was asleep (I have never had surgery), I went to my GP after a couple more days passed and it spread more, he suspected allergic reaction as well, and prescribed me a 6 day steroid pack that started with 6 pills a day and went down from there, it worked! I was so relieved, however, it would be short-lived.... on day 4 when I only had 3 pills to take, the rash changed in texture, appearance, and got worse, spreading more and actually becoming more than just ugly, but painful and increasingly itchier. My GP phoned in another 6 day steroid pack and it was a horrible failure this time. Over memorial day weekend I went to Patient First (an open, revolving-door doctor's place) because my GP was closed, and received a steroid cream, I used all of the tube in days because of the sheer amount of space the rash now covers. I've been popping Benadryl like it is going out of style, and nothing is working. The rash began just on my abdomen, small red dots, now it's welted red dots and splotches, extending to my back between my love handles (lol), lower back, and up my sides to the sides of my breasts, and on the outside of my armpits, up my triceps. It's horrible. Have anyone, anyone AT ALL experienced this, ever? From any surgery? My surgeon seems nonchalant and not worried, I'm not worried either aside from being pestered by the pain and itchiness. I've searched all over the internet for any advice or other experiences regarding this, and come up with nothing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the rash was never around my incisions, until a few days ago. My doctor didn't use staples, but steritape and glue.

Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by LadyRouge

I got a rash as well. It stayed on my lower abdomen close to my incisions. I never got anything prescribed to me, but I always made sure to keep the area uncovered as often as I could.

I got a rash as well. It stayed on my lower abdomen close to my incisions. I never got anything prescribed to me, but I always made sure to keep the area uncovered as often as I could.

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. It is close to my incisions now. When did your rash finally go away?

Oh that's not promising for me then :( I'm going on almost a month now. Thank you for your input!

Oh no! Have you tried eliminating certain things from your diet? When did you stop taking the painkillers? I thought I'd gotten mine from my painkillers!

No, no eliminating anything from my diet - I am not eating anything new that I didn't eat pre-op, and I'm not eating anything I don't have permission to eat. My surgeon mentioned it may be a systemic reaction, something I ingested at the hospital. Maybe the thrush prevention mouth wash thing I had to take, who knows. I stopped the heavy duty painkillers about 4 days out.

I think I have something very similar. I developed a very itchy bright red rash all over my abdomen within a day or two of surgery. It was worse on my left side vs right. It is finally fading and a little less itchy. I'll be 2 weeks post op tomorrow. I have had a less severe reaction from previous abdominal surgery. Pretty sure it is a reaction to the glue they use.

I'm wondering cause I only had glue on my incisions, and it wasn't near them in the beginning. I have to attach photos when I get home, I would really like to know if yours looked similar. Mine is heavier on the left side too, clearer on the right.

These are images of what the rash looks like.

post-255280-0-79218600-1433278806_thumb.jpg

post-255280-0-28548800-1433278816_thumb.jpg

post-255280-0-98524000-1433278893_thumb.jpg

Edited by LadyRouge

Mine was a bit different. It was bright red and blotchy. I take benadryl and use hydrocortisone cream when it itches. It has definitely gotten better in the last few days.

Yea, these photos were from last night, the rash has changed. It started bright red and splotchy when I first got it, it has now been about a month. It has gotten darker as time has gone on. hydrocortisone unfortunately doesn't work for me, nor Benadryl. Oh well, I guess I'll have to shell out more money and see a dermatologist lol. Thank you for your help!

Good luck, I know how crazy the itching drove me! I hope you get some relief soon. I see you are in Virginia, I live in Virginia Beach. Where are you from?

Thank you! Omigosh yes it's driving me nuts. There's literally no relief. I've tried cortisone, calamine, steroid cream, everything. I guess I will just suck it up lol. Virginia Beach is so close to me! I live in Newport News, attend college in Hampton. :)

Edited by LadyRouge

Yikes! I got a rash like that after my last c-section. I'm sure it was an allergic reaction to something they'd given me in the hospital. Unfortunately it didn't show up until I'd been home for a few days so I don't know what the medication was for future reference. The steroid pack cleared me right up. I'm sorry that's not working for you! That's so weird that it's not. I really hope you find some relief soon! I know how uncomfortable it is.