Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the days after surgery?

Hi! I'm scheduled to get my surgery the second week of June. There's just one problem. My cousin is coming to stay at my house to Celebrate her birthday for two weeks, starting the day of my surgery. She doesn't know I am getting the surgery that week though.

Do you all think I'll be able to Celebrate with her? I know I won't be eating solids, but I'm wondering do you all think I will be able to move around and feel comfortable? I don't want her to have a terrible birthday because of me.

You will not be a ball of fire, although everyone is different. I was very tired after surgery and needed to nap often. I stuck close to home for the first week and a half but I certainly could get around the house without difficulty. It all depends on what you plan to do.

I sort of figured I might be sleeping a lot as well. My mom's friend got the surgery and was on bed rest for some time, but I was hoping it wouldn't be the same for me.

For my cousin's birthday, she has planned going to the beach, paintball date, she wants me to take her to two new restaurants (I won't be eating of course but that's fine with me), and she wanted to go to a club. I'm starting to think maybe all of this isn't realistic?

Thanks for answering :)

I feel I recovered well and quickly but did need to take it easy. It was 5 days post op where I felt totally back to normal. I chose not to sleep during the day because I didn't want to throw off my schedule but I did take it easy. If you recover like I did, you will feel it but won't be a drag. I also only needed the pain meds for 24 hours. I didn't fill my prescription and just had some tolerable soreness. I believe this can also depend on your age. My foster mom got it and said she pretty much slept for a week so everyone is different and you probably won't have complications but they can happen so you just never know. I wouldn't worry about being a drag for her time out and chances are with 2 weeks you will have at least one great one. :)

Good luck and congrats! You're gonna love the surgery (after a few days lol)

I could have done the beach, restaurant and club thing (no dancing), but the paintball would have been tough (at least the way we play)....maybe save that for the end of the 2 weeks.

I was out shopping the day after surgery and walked a couple miles every day. I flew alone and then drove myself home 5 hours and plowed my driveway on days 3 and 4. Laid on the couch day 5. Ran errands, grocery shopping, haircut and laundry day 6. Back to work at a physical job day 7. I was tired, of course, but had no problems.

I had surgery on Tuesday. I'm resting when I need to. I probably could do everything except paintball. My energy level is not where it was before surgery so I am easily tired. Be kind and gentle with yourself

I think I would probably try and set expectations in advance of the visit. In my opinion you should consider your recovery to be the priority. My surgery is scheduled for later this month so I cannot speak to energy levels.

Best of luck to you!

I think the biggest problem during recovery was just how tired I was. It took several weeks for me not to be totally exhausted. I wouldn't have been able to do all that the 2 weeks after surgery, but everyone's recovery is different.

Edited by eyhornmom

You might just have to tell her. I myself had a real hard recovery, so you might need to be careful and you most likely are going to be tired. Just take it easy and it will all work out in the end! Good luck!

I am now 4 days out and no way would I be able to do that...its just too uncomfortable of a feeling. Everyday gets better so maybe on week 2 I might feel up to the beach or an outing...