Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

My point was that this is a thread about Ariel Ortiz and OCC. While it is perfectly legitimate to raise concerns about Dr. Ortiz in this thread, it's not really appropriate to then go on extolling the virtues of another specific surgeon. If freddie wants to go start another thread about Dr. Corvala and discuss his/her decision making process and experience there, then that would be extremely helpful for people beginning their research and working toward making their own decision. This thread is already 190 pages long and has a lot of information to get through for people considering Dr. Ortiz and OCC, it doesn't need to be muddled up by extensive posts about other surgeons.

Good luck with your pre-op diet and I hope you have a great trip and successful surgery. Definitely post back here if you have any questions or concerns about what to expect and let us know how everything goes!

Ditto to what Jamie said. This has been such a helpful thread for so many. It would be nice if we could keep on track and not let this thread turn into a shit show like so many others do. Everyone has different priorities and preferences. Like raven, I specifically did not want to be in a hospital, I prefer surgical centers....even here in the US. But I see the point of some people preferring a full hospital. It's good that there are so many choices and options available.

As for OCC's lack of reported complications, I wonder if their marketing people should just go ahead and make up some leaks and infections so the skeptics feel better. I guess a 0% complication rate just isn't good enough. ????

In some ways getting sleeved is like getting married or having a baby. Before the event all the attention is on the one day and making it as perfect as possible but the real concern is how are you going to live with this huge change in your life?

99.9% of the success or failure of the project is in our own hands.

In some ways getting sleeved is like getting married or having a baby. Before the event all the attention is on the one day and making it as perfect as possible but the real concern is how are you going to live with this huge change in your life?

99.9% of the success or failure of the project is in our own hands.

That is an excellent analogy!

I had my surgery at the OCC with Dr A Ortiz.. I'm Canadian NEVER traveled and suffer anxiety and panic attacks along with depression. I'm 47 years young and this had to be the most TERRIFYING experience of my life! I was accepted for gastric bypass Twice here in Ontario, however the closer I got and my research into the PRESTIGIOUS local hospital made me back out. I found Dr Ortiz thru a friend. Her mother traveled to Tijuana scoped the place out and booked a surgery for herself.. Then her daughter went down. I still wasn't in no way shape or form prepared to travel to Mexico for surgery. I have also a few friends that had the bypass done locally ( I wasn't impressed by the Drs) .. Then I started my research ... Calling emailing reading etc.. So one night I thought I'm going to do this!! It was just before Christmas I called and sent my deposit.. Then I ordered their vitamins( I wanted it all done by the book) in January hubby told me he couldn't make the trip due to work.. I was scared to death however a few days later he informed me he could whewwww!! So I booked our tickets.. Well hubby didn't have a passport so we got that all done.. Then ... I look at his passport and he decided he was going to remove the JR from his name!!! Not a problem????? NIGHTMARE!! I had to call the airlines buy another ticket for him without JR. On it.. Thank heavens they reimbursed me for the other ticket... Well it didn't stop there.. I realized I hD to fly to San Francisco with a 2 hr layover and he gets a direct flight to San Diego ! Being a suffer of anxiety and panic attacks I felt all these bumps was someone or something telling me not to go.. The day I sent the balance of my payment was my meltdown.. I called up my patient coordinator and cried and cried telling her how scared I was.. All she did was reassure me and calmed me down (2hr conversation).. I don't know what I would have done with out her. ( wasn't the first time talking to her, however first meltdown). Well the day we left for the airport February 4 2015 it was a wicked snow storm. Got to the airport and panic set in! Couldn't feel my legs couldn't breath throwing up etc hubby said we could go home.. I pulled my big girl panties up and said nope I'm doing this. ( very familiar with surgery had a auto accident many years ago and constant operations) Off we go our separate ways.

Flight was good the wait in sAn Francisco was good. Then I get to San Diego .. Met hubby cried and cried I did. Got our luggage and then our driver was waiting! Wow Omar was Awesome!! Told us about some sites and what to do when we got to the border.. EASY!! It was late when we got in so we just went to our hotel the Marriott . Weather wS beautiful. We unpacked and I wanted to see some sites. So a driver took us on a 2 hr tour it was amazing! I never opened a door once while I wAs there lol

Thursday morning day of surgery! Panic set in big time couldn't breath etc we get to the OCC and met the lovely ladies. Talked to the nutritionist then went and had my test done. All while my nurse was with me ????when they did my blood work , gloves we worn everything was going so smooth.. Then I met Dr Ortiz .. I explained and cried to him. He was so comforting ( not like any surgeon here in Canada I've had and trust me I had a few) he talked with hubby and I and he even said if I really wanted to back out I could. I was just scared.. However he explained everything to me and I felt very comfortable.

Surgery DONE! Few aches nothing serious nurse kept coming in and out of my room hubby was there.. I didn't need pain meds so passed on those.. My nurse got me up to go pee brought me extra blankets.. Hubby left about 7 pm I don't remember much kinda in and out. Slept all night..

The next morning hubby was there first thing.. I was already up since 6 walking the floors lol.. They came in and checked me asked me how I felt and said I could go back to the hotel if I was feeling good! I saw no reason to stay I was in Tijuana!!!

My hubby told me Dr Ortiz sat with him for an hr after I came out of surgery telling him what he did what to expect etc I was so grateful for that. Hubby don't listen to me that well lol.. We got back to the hotel and I had a little rest then I said I want to go shopping!! We got a driver and that's exactly what we did! I didn't overdo it ..

So the next few days were amazing. Saturday morning I went and had another leak test which was kewl to see how small my stomach was.. I talked to Dr Ortiz ( he's so good looking lol) then back to the hotel.. We had an amazing time the staff were super!! The hotel staff were super!! I felt I was taken care of like a queen! Not just another surgery case!!

I just wanted people to know wherever you go for your surgery has to be your choice! I've had no complications ( other then the runs lol and hemorrhoids lol) now that I'm eating thicker liquids everything is stating to bind up ???? gas wasn't much of an issue as I made sure I moved around even my arms .. My experience at the OCC was FABULOUS ... Dr.Ortiz called me after 1 week out to check on me which was awesome.. I also called to speak to a Dr when my runs wouldn't stop lol they assured me I would be fine however suggested I see my Family Dr to bring my mind at ease . Which I did. All ended up turning out just fine ????.I hope everyone that has been there can relate ❤️

Edited by Andrea Barnes Douglas

I'm scared out of wits too. Yes I'm leaning towards Covarla based on the reasons I listed above but my mind is not 100 percent made up. My surgery date isn't until June 30 so I have ample time to switch surgeons. and would only forfeit 65 dollars if I do. The other TJ surgeon I would consider is Ortiz. That's why I'm on the Ortiz page I think some civil discourse and debate and what ones likes and doesn't like is helpful. I certainly don't expect anyone to agree with my opinion. I found the comments about Ortiz above that were posted in response to my posting were helpful. It showed some things patients liked about Ortiz and somthing things that could potentially be improved. There is nothing more valuable to me this decsion making process that getting objective comments good and bad from prior patients. If I ultimately do decide to use Corvala which I'm obviously heavily leaning towards I will post my experience both the good and the bad. Ortiz is a good surgeon and i appreciate the insights of his prior patients as it helps me in my decision process. Note that I rushed my decision to use Corvala due to the price increase from 6500 to 7500 on 2-15. I recently became aware of ortiz and wanted to learn more about him and the OCC.

I'm scared out of wits too. Yes I'm leaning towards Covarla based on the reasons I listed above but my mind is not 100 percent made up. My surgery date isn't until June 30 so I have ample time to switch surgeons. and would only forfeit 65 dollars if I do. The other TJ surgeon I would consider is Ortiz. That's why I'm on the Ortiz page I think some civil discourse and debate and what ones likes and doesn't like is helpful. I certainly don't expect anyone to agree with my opinion. I found the comments about Ortiz above that were posted in response to my posting were helpful. It showed some things patients liked about Ortiz and somthing things that could potentially be improved. There is nothing more valuable to me this decsion making process that getting objective comments good and bad from prior patients. If I ultimately do decide to use Corvala which I'm obviously heavily leaning towards I will post my experience both the good and the bad. Ortiz is a good surgeon and i appreciate the insights of his prior patients as it helps me in my decision process. Note that I rushed my decision to use Corvala due to the price increase from 6500 to 7500 on 2-15. I recently became aware of ortiz and wanted to learn more about him and the OCC.< /p>

I think Dr. Corvala and Dr. Ortiz/Dr. Martinez are equally qualified and experienced surgeons. If I hadn't gone with OCC, Dr. Corvala would have been my next choice. I think it just comes down to the details of staff and facility and what your personal preferences and comfort levels are. I have no doubt you will have a successful surgery with whichever one you choose.

I think Dr. Corvala and Dr. Ortiz/Dr. Martinez are equally qualified and experienced surgeons. If I hadn't gone with OCC, Dr. Corvala would have been my next choice. I think it just comes down to the details of staff and facility and what your personal preferences and comfort levels are. I have no doubt you will have a successful surgery with whichever one you choose.

I agree with Kindle. I don't think you can go wrong with either option and you just have to base your decision on the criteria that is most critical to you.

Hello All!

I am having my procedure done on March 20th at the OCC! I am so excited however I had to start the pre pre-op diet a little early since I gained about 15 pounds since I decided to go through with the surgery. I literally went on a food funeral frenzy-I was eating everything in sight! It wasn't until I saw the new number on the scale that I realized I had to stop...now I need to lose 27 pounds before the surgery....I am not nervous just ready for this new chapter of my life. I wish I hadn't binged out on food, but I did and it is no reason to cry over spilled milk. I am ready for this change and I am determined to succeed.

You definitely can do.  Lucia wanted me to lose a minimum of 14 but stated 30 would be better.  I ended up losing 27 lbs. I purchased the 30-Day Vitaleph supplements including the lypo-solve. I was pretty consistent about taking them.  I had a Premier Protein shake for Breakfast, and meat (3 oz) and green veggies for lunch and dinner.  I walked a couple of miles about 3 days a week and the weight came off.   

Don't worry about what you did in the past.  Today is a new day.  Best wishes on this journey to a new life.

I loved your post Andrea as I have hit so many of the same bumps in the planning of my surgery. And I like you said to myself oh my this must mean something...the funny thing is it snowed yesterday and will snow through out the day today and I fly out tomorrow. :) Congrats on your surgery and speedy recovery

Thank you twest! It sure felt like a roller coaster with lots of bumps! But all is very well with me and it will be with you also! Good luck to you and see you on the losers side!!

This is day 8 on pre-op. I'm doing 2-3 protien shakes per day and cabbage or brussel sprouts occasionally. I need to lose another 6lbs by next thursday and I'm freaking out!! I woke up this morning and the scale said I GAINED a lb!! How does that even happen?!? Anyone have any advice?? I have to be under a certain BMI to avoid having to pay an extra fee. 6lbs in 7 days.....someone help!

This is day 8 on pre-op. I'm doing 2-3 protien shakes per day and cabbage or brussel sprouts occasionally. I need to lose another 6lbs by next thursday and I'm freaking out!! I woke up this morning and the scale said I GAINED a lb!! How does that even happen?!? Anyone have any advice?? I have to be under a certain BMI to avoid having to pay an extra fee. 6lbs in 7 days.....someone help!

How much did you lose so far? I lost 22 pounds in 16 days, so 6 in 7 is definitely doable. Maybe mix up your veggies a bit... you could be experiencing a bit of "starvation mode" weight stall. Besides cabbage and Brussels sprouts, I did broccoli, green Beans, mushrooms, kale, lettuce with flavored vinegar for dressing, and occasional tomatoes. Also, what kind of shakes are you drinking....some can be pretty high in carbs.

Good luck! Also, not drinking the night before surgery will probably lose you a pound or two in Water weight when you step on the scale at OCC.< /p>

@@Kindle Thanks for the suggestions! I'm drinking 2-3 Premier Protein shakes per day. They only have about 2 carbs, 1gm sugar and 160 cals per serving. I didn't even think of the syarvation mode since I haven't been hungry! I thought maybe it was Water retention. It's all just really frustrating. I've lost about 10lbs fo far since last Monday.

Hi all!  I have kind of a weird question.  My surgery companion and I are flying in from two different states, so my surgery coordinator at OCC explained we would need to coordinate our arrival times, because the shuttle will only make one trip to pick us up.  There is a chance that my companion won't be able to fly in the day prior to my surgery like I am.  Does anyone know if she would be able to take a taxi from San Diego airport to the Marriott?  I tried calling the Marriott to ask, but it turns out my cell phone plan doesn't have international calling!  (One more thing to do before April).  Thanks!

Hi all!  I have kind of a weird question.  My surgery companion and I are flying in from two different states, so my surgery coordinator at OCC explained we would need to coordinate our arrival times, because the shuttle will only make one trip to pick us up.  There is a chance that my companion won't be able to fly in the day prior to my surgery like I am.  Does anyone know if she would be able to take a taxi from San Diego airport to the Marriott?  I tried calling the Marriott to ask, but it turns out my cell phone plan doesn't have international calling!  (One more thing to do before April).  Thanks!

I don't know about taking a taxi. That would probably cost a fortune even if she could. What I would do is see if she could to the OCC shuttle along with any other OCC patients that might be coming the day she's arriving.