Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I think there are shuttles that can take you right up to the boarder. You then walk across and get a cab on the TJ side.

That would be a decent solution as well.

Hi all! I have kind of a weird question. My surgery companion and I are flying in from two different states, so my surgery coordinator at OCC explained we would need to coordinate our arrival times, because the shuttle will only make one trip to pick us up. There is a chance that my companion won't be able to fly in the day prior to my surgery like I am. Does anyone know if she would be able to take a taxi from San Diego airport to the Marriott? I tried calling the Marriott to ask, but it turns out my cell phone plan doesn't have international calling! (One more thing to do before April). Thanks!

You can't take a taxi from San Diego to the TJ Marriott. She would have to take a US taxi to the border and then get a mexico taxi from the border to the Marriott. I know this because my plane was delayed and I got in to SD at 1am and that was the only way to get to the Marriott that night. Gloria, the travel coordinator at that time strongly advised against taking cab rides in TJ in the middle of the night ????

So I had to get a room in SD and meet the OCC van back at the airport 7am day of surgery.

Regardless, my sister and I were also arriving and departing separately anyways. I simply coordinated her times with when the OCC van was going to be at the airport picking up other patients. She actually arrived the day before my surgery and hung out at the Marriott and took the shuttle van from the Marriott to OCC. We literally met in the lobby of OCC morning of my surgery. She got there at least an hour before me!

Hi everyone! I had gastric plication surgery at OCC on Feb 16th. Recovery has been going well, with the exception of cramping from gas pains I think. So far I've lost 8.5 lbs since surgery, woot woot! I wanted to add that I've been making youtube vlogs documenting the pre-op diet, surgery day, and post-op. It might relax some worried minds to watch someone who has gone through the process (and am still continuing!) 

Good luck everyone!

Jesse 

here's the link to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvKZvc4GaTZYUHXicqNZinw

Edited by biogal86

May I ask why plication instead of the sleeve? Is it because might be reversible.

I discuss that a bit in my first video! :) The reversibility for me wasn't really why, but moreso with the plication it seems that there is a faster recovery time and I couldn't take too much time off of work. I like the idea of the surgery, plus did plenty of reading into the scientific literature and everything published shows it's just as effective and safe as the sleeve. In addition, to be honest, with plication, the surgeon mentioned that your eating habits aren't crazy restrictive in the future. For example, say a year or two out, it's not quite as obvious that you had bariatric surgery, compared to the sleeve where a year out it you can maybe still have a couple bites of one thing. Being a lower BMI patient who didn't have over 100lbs to lose that was also attractive to me. 

I hope that helps! You should definitely check out my videos to see my experience on the pre-op diet and my decision for the plication surgery! Good luck to ya! :)

Is there a once daily bariatric Multivitamin that anyone recommends? Or what kind of Multivitamins do you take?? I have my Calcium, Fiber, B12, and Biotin supplements already but I'm looking for a good multi.

Edited by cassie_vsg

I take the Vitaleph Multi-Vitamin that OCC endorses. I take two a day now (one with Breakfast and one with lunch), instead of three. I don't do any of their other branded supplements though.

Is there a once daily bariatric multivitamin that anyone recommends? Or what kind of multivitamins do you take?? I have my Calcium, fiber, B12, and Biotin supplements already but I'm looking for a good multi.

I've always been a fan of whole food based Vitamins. They have micronutrients and cofactors that just can't be duplicated in a lab. Prior to surgery I was taking Source of Life Gold chewable (also comes in liquid). But postop everything tasted too sweet to me, including the chewable vitamins, so I switched to Garden of Life Raw Vitamin Code for Women because it came in capsule form. Besides being a multi, it's got digestive enzymes and Probiotics for optimal GI health. I actually only take 1/2 the recommended daily amount plus D3 and B12 sublingual a couple times a week and my bloodwork is perfect. As for B12, BTW, it should be methylcobalamin, not cyanocobalamin. Methyl is the natural form that our bodies can utilize. Cyan is synthetic that our bodies have to break down and you are left with some B12 and lots of leftover metabolites.

No matter what supplements you choose, The biggest thing is to followup with the recommended bloodwork. This will alert you to any deficiencies before they become a problem.

My date is 4/23. :) I'm from Michigan. :)

Good luck to you, too!

Hello Everyone!

I have my procedure on March 20th-but I am a little nervous cause I have 20 pounds to lose before then! I gained like 15 pounds after I turned in my paperwork and now I am working with OCC's nutritionist...but I am a little worried that I won't lose all the weight by then! Has anyone been turned away if they didn't lose the required weight? I really don't want to go down there on the 19th if they refuse to do my procedure....any thoughts?

I think you should keep in constant contact with Lucia. Let her know what has happened with your weight gain and make sure you stick strictly to the pre-op diet. As long as you do the two full weeks of liquid diet, your liver should shrink enough for the surgery. Just be honest and open with Lucia and she will help you through it.