Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

17 days post op and a stall?

I know everyone is different- I have lost 13.5 pounds (from day of operation)and have run into a stall. Granted I fell behind on my Water intake, wound up with acute Constipation which was largely remedied yesterday and I dialed back my exercise because I wasn't feeling well- so all of this could be a factor but it blows my mind that at probably around 500 calories intake with no more than 7 grams of fat and carbs under 30 that this could happen- lol.

I'm drinking 2 Protein shakes one in the morning and one at lunch and then purees for dinner. The highest puree I've had was grits with lite laughing cow cheese between 1/4 cup and 1/2 a cup and I've decided to ditch the grits and now reach for cottage cheese, ricotta bake, acorn squash puree...maybe it's starvation?

I fell much better this morning so I went for a hearty 40 minute powe rwalk that raised a sweat and I will get in my 65 ounces of Water plus a bonus water.

Just looking for a little hand holding and hearing that this is all part of the process. I expected something just not this soon.

Edited by MissLiss

Yep...all normal. I was 3 weeks postop and hit my first stall...which, from all I've read, it pretty normal time for it to occur. Sounds to me like you're doing great. Increase water....increase Protein and you will come out. Mine lasted about 2 weeks, but I've read others who have stalled for a month or more. I think it's our bodies way of saying "you didn't put it on overnight, I'm not taking it off overnight!" :)

@@Graciesmom04 Thank you- Just needed to hear that from someone. It's science- if I'm taking in under x number of calories even if I wasn't exercising it has to come off.

Last Monday I was exactly 3 weeks post-op. Sure enough the dreaded stall hit me as well. No loss from Sunday through yesterday. I did lose 1 pound this morn. I have been averaging 7.5 lbs. a week prior to this. not worried about it though as I did lose inches this week. Muscle is better than fat and the stall will end no doubt.

I lost 12.5 in the first 10 days, then went up 2 pounds and down 3 but it was also that time of the month as well.

I am definitely feeling reassured and I have to say - really good! I don't remember the last time I felt so good.

Okay- so what I've read on other threads is to :

1) increase Water intake. Water is intrinsic in fat burning.

2) eat every 2 hours to keep the metabolism going- I have to say duh to myself on this one. When I did Medifast which yielded a 2+ pound weight loss per week on average had me eating 6 small meals a day. So I am going to break up my Protein shake into 2 parts. That gives me 4 mini meals and then I will have my last meal of the day broken into 2 or have a meal and a 'dessert' I'm thinking of making homemade applesauce.

3) very the exercise so heavier some days lighter others

4) consider breaking up caloric intake- lighter some days heavier the others

I guess the previous two are really about the body regulating and by keeping it guessing so to speak it keeps it pinging away.

Any other input is helpful- and I realize that it also may be that regardless of what I do I will still stay in a stall as long as my body decides its going to- and I'm okay with that- but if I'm able to jumpstart things I'm going to do it! :D