Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chest pain running to back anyone else ever have?

So here I am 4.5 months post op and I started having chest pains about two weeks ago. I was hospitalized in the ER for two days while they ran test to rule out heart issues. Which they did. then i went home and for a week felt great, then it came back with a vengeance. So now though i have a cause and effect. Eating whenever i eat or even drink to some extent, this pain comes back. it radiates just under where my heart is . ( which is why we had to rule out cardiac. It throbs but does not increase with inspiration or expiration. So my surgeon is setting up a cat scan for tomorrow, and we shal see. thankfully i dont have any fever or localized tenderness or anything that would indicate a leak. Im hoping for some erosion of the esophagus perhaps, or something like that.

So my question is, anyone else dealt with something like this, this far post op? And no its certainly not heartburn or gerd. lol I wish.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I, too, am 5 months out (yesterday), and have had an "episode" with chest tightening. I was in the grocery store when it happened, I have had heart "flutters" all my life (probably my MVP), but this time a very strong sensation of the chest area being squeezed came with it. Not a comfortable feeling, and it lasted about 10 minutes, and was worrisome enough I went to the doctor, who did an EKG. Apparently it was strange enough for her to order a stress test, which I will do on Wednesday. She is not sure if I had a heart attack, or not, as the EKG was indefinite. Hopefully not, but I have a strong family history of heart issues, with my people dying typically between ages 33 and 65. I am 53. So we'll see on Wednesday what happens.

I hope your doctors can come to a POSITIVE conclusion for you, and it is maybe just your body healing from the surgery. I will keep you in my prayers, let us know how you do!

i did have a nuclear stress test in the hospital and they were able to rule out an MI. thankfully as my family has a large level of deaths and heart attacks as well. But the horror stories regarding leaks and feeding tubes etc. really scare me.

I am 2 years out from my sleeve procedure and started having symptomatic bradicardia with PAC (pre atria contractions) My pulse has dropped to a resting of 48 and goes as low as 31 when sleeping. I only know this because I went to the ER when I was concerned about the irregular pulse that became constant for 2 days. I could feel my heart "thump" after the pause (the pac) and since it was becoming a daily problem (still is) I decided to go to the ER (as a doctor myself I was concerned that maybe my struggle with getting my serum Protein up could be affecting my heart). I was admitted overnight and ruled out a heart attack (I knew that was not the problem) and a stress test showed normal blood flow to the heart. My ECG showed sinus bradycardia with a rate of 45 most of the night. The "doctors" told my I had anxiety and recommended I increase my antidepressant, then sent me home.

Now, I know anxiety will raise the pulse not slow it. Also the depression medications I am taking for PTSD (the reason the "assumed anxiety") also would raise the pulse. I have hypothyroid and they bounced around the possibility I was on TOO MUCH medication for my thyroid, again that would RAISE my pulse. The doctors wouldn't even listen to me about my concerns about an electrical conduction problem (they also ignored the fact that I AM a physician)

I would not bother to follow up on this (since PAC's are not dangerous) but I am symptomatic to the point that standing up makes me lightheaded, I get nausea when I eat (more than usual being a sleeve patient), I will break into a sweat just sitting watching TV (thought it was hot flashes in the beginning) and am more fatigued than ever. Just going for a walk to the mailbox makes my heart pound and I get chest pressure. Just sitting here at the computer I can feel my heart pause and then thump as it "restarts". There is something not right (and it is not just anxiety) so I start the LONG process of seeing the PCP (I had a holter monitor last week which I had him order 2 months ago when I started feeling an irregular flutter 2-3 times a week) and then a cardiologist on the 14th (I made the apt after the hospitalization since the "team" didn't bother to consult a cardiologist)

The way I was treated in the hospital was deplorable. I deserve to be heard and my concerns addressed. I recommend anyone having symptoms (cardiac or anything out of the normal) to be your own advocate and keep looking for someone who will listen to you till the problem is found and a solution implemented.

@@Stevehud

Do you think it could be a fractured rib? I had one, and had strange pain for well over a year before anyone was able to diagnose it. It never did heal (due to my hyperparathyroidism) and had to be removed. Can you tell if the pain is deeper than where your rib sits? Might be worth looking into....

lets see , no gallbladder was removed years back, im still waiting for my cat scan appointment its been labeled as urgent and supposed to be today but.... they couldn't find any rib injuries on xray, and if it was a rib, eating wouldnt be a trigger, it would have pain pretty much constantly and might get worse on expiration or inspiration, but mine doesnt. im really leaning toward either my hiatal hernia got much much worse, ( had a little one they decided not to fix in my surgery.) or esophageal erosion, or (gulp, i pray not) a leak or ulcer.

My broken rib only hurt while I was exercising, which was very peculiar to my surgeon, but hey - everyone is different! That's why it took so long to diagnose it.

I sure hope they can figure this out for you, and relieve your pain/situation. Keep us informed, and we'll keep you in our prayers...

so i had the ct scan , had to drink half a bottle of barium and they stuck me four times trying to get an iv then gave up. the problem is they didnt find a leak instead they found enlarged lymph nodes in my abdomen and dont know why. So tomorrow they are going to schedule me for an endoscopy. SIgh. The most obvious cause would be the horrible C word. which i wont even type. So keep your fingers crossed, say a prayer, throw up a gang sign, whatever you have, Ill take it.

You got it! And He hears.... Thank you for keeping us posted, I know this is very challenging for you. You are NOT alone in this. Give your wife a BIG hug, and here's one from us, too. Hang tight, my friend, hang tight.......

@@Stevehud, so sorry you are facing unknowns, praying for you.