Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused about Carbs...

Hey guys so I know we are supposed to keep carbs really limited, but does that include fruit? I haven't had surgery yet, my surgery date is set for June 1st. and I am trying to lose some more weight before then. I would like to try to eat similar to what is expected post op. I am ok with cutting out bread and simple carbs, but I really love fruit, especially in my Protein Shakes. Is that ok? Is there a limit to the carb intake per day, like under 40-50 grams? Please let me know. Thank you guys!

Mostly after surgery you are focusing on getting in your Protein and Water. You are on a graduating diet to give your new stomach time to heal. Everyone's doctors are different for the time you stay in each stage. For me it was two days Clear liquids, one week liquids, one week purees, then mushies for two weeks, then slowly introduce foods back to your system. I was allowed to put fruit (without seeds) into my purees stage, but no added sugar. Now I'm on mushies and I can have bananas and mangoes (very ripe) but limited. My nutritionist would much prefer carbs from fruit than bread or rice.

All that being said, you will have a very tiny tummy. There just isn't a bunch of room in there. Your primary focus WILL be Protein, protein, protein then hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

When you get back to a normal diet fruit can be added into your diet but you will always want your protein fist.

oops I forgot. My Doc had me on a low carb diet(under 40 g) for two weeks before surgery to shrink my liver and make the laproscopic surgery safer and easier to do. During that time I did dramatically reduce the fruit intake.

Every surgeon, it seems, has a different plan for their patients, so it's hard to say. Some surgeons say all the fruit and veggies you want. Mine says no more than 20 carbs/day. It also will depend on YOU. What works for someone else (using your surgeon) may not be right for you, so you will need to talk with your surgeon and dietician. Good luck to you!

Yea my nutritionist is fine with fruit and some carbs. That being said I know I lose a lot more weight when j limit my carb intake. I have my surgery date, but I still have to do my pre-op appointment with my doctor and the dietitian in their office. Hopefully that will give me a better understanding. I just want to make sure there are a few things left that I truly enjoy. ????

Preop my surgeon had me keep carbs under 100 until the actual preop diet, when it was just shakes and 3 oz of lean Protein for 2 weeks and then just shakes for the last 2 weeks. After surgery they recommend keeping it under 50. fruit isn't one of the things I eat yet at 4.5 months out. I generally keep my carbs under 20, unless I eat a Protein Bar as a meal, and then with everything else, I can hit 30-40 carbs. I kept fruit in my diet until my preop diet though because it fits in nicely when you can have 100 carbs a day.

If you're referring to post-op, as Fireflea says, you should be focusing on getting in your Protein and Water FIRST. I avoided any fruit (other than the occasional strawberry or two chopped up in my high Protein yogurt) for the first 9 months post-op. Fruit does have nutritional value, but to your body it is basically candy that grows on trees. Stick with non-starchy vegetables and you will get just as many nutrients without the sugar load.

I didn't have a particular number they gave me for carbs. I found when I reduced them on my own, when I went too low, I didn't feel good - I felt really bad (low energy, headache, etc).

I couldn't tolerate a salad until about a year post-op. fruit was really hard on my tummy and still is - I ate 1/4 of a banana yesterday and didn't feel well after. I can do some fruit in my shakes, that doesn't bother me. Veggies are still hit or miss for me 18 months out - I can usually tolerate a few bites, but I don't over indulge, that's painful.

Here's my opinion on carbs - there are good carbs and bad carbs. Whole foods are good, refined foods are generally bad. I try to stay away from refined carbs - bread, Pasta, white sugar, etc.

I just want to make sure there are a few things left that I truly enjoy.

Don't overplan and don't get hung up on any food desires.

I used to love fruit but now, not so much. Oranges -- more than one wedge makes me feel nasty. Bananas make me vomit because they are so sweet. pineapple is good for a bite or two and then I am over it. I can handle a few grapes and then I am done.

I still enjoy fruit, but I can't eat much of it. I don't even want to anymore. Same with bread, Pasta, rice, ice cream (gasp!!!)... They all make me feel horrid so the desire to eat them has diminished to almost none.

Thank you guys. I don't want to over plan, but I can't help it. I am surprised I am not skinny from all the worrying I do! Haha! Anyway I will limit it for now and then see what my doctor says. If anyone has anymore advise though, I would be willing to listen!!!