Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

drink Soda after surgery?

Carbonation will NOT stretch your sleeve. It's AIR. Just like too much Water will not stretch your sleeve or eating broccoli, Beans or cabbage (all of which cause GAS) will not stretch your sleeve, air bubbles from a drink will NOT stretch your sleeve. It's a scare tactic, people.

Sleeves that are done correctly will not stretch. They will relax over time. They will give a little over time. Excessive overstuffing it will "stretch" the leftover fundus over time, but your stomach should never stretch out to even 1/4 of what it was pre-op and it certainly won't do it because of a liquid, even one with bubbles.

Carbonation will cause discomfort and lots of burping if you are lucky. In fact, it will cause me to hurl if I drink it too close to a meal. It can be hateful.

Follow your doctor's orders. If he doesn't allow it, don't drink it. Mine allows it. I drink it. I have to drink it poured over ice with some of the carbonation stirred out, but not flat by any means. If I drink it out of the bottle, I am ginormously uncomfortable until I burp and even then, I feel urpy.

I am two years out. I waited to drink it until I I was told I could and I only drink diet or SF. I'm not dead yet, I am at goal and have maintained it for over a year. It doesn't make me crave anything nor am I growing weird tentacles or horns. If you are afraid of the "chemicals", drink seltzer Water or make your own soda at home if you are so inclined. I have a hard time with the "chemical" argument personally, as long as my doctor is also allowing me to eat pre-packaged anything. But that's just me. :D

Thank you for this. You worded it so well!

My nutritionist and surgeon recommends that we all start eating clean as soon as we begin the consult process. We are making enough lifestyle changes that it just makes sense to adopt a diet where we avoid processed foods as much as possible.

To each their own.

There was also a time that doctors used to encourage smoking to treat ailments.

I have had a couple of sips of soda to help me burp, if needed but that is the only time I do. I don't want to get use to having soda again, even though I know it really doesn't harm you. I have a friend that did the gastric bypass when they first came out with WLS and she drank Mt. Dew every day and she kept her weight off.

Again it is up to every individual here what they want to do. I am not here to tell anyone that they can or cannot have something. I am here to get information and use it for me. Thanks everyone...

There was also a time that doctors used to encourage smoking to treat ailments.

As soon as it becomes legal, I'd suggest MANY people smoke a fatty to soothe what "ails" them. ;) :D

Tried sparking Water once a year out without thinking (was at a party looking for something non alcoholic and sugar free) and OUCH! Never again for me personally.

I have dabbled in a soda a couple times... made it flat by shaking it and letting the fizz subside. no troubles for me, but nothing has bothered my stomach at all. everyone is different. I am not addicted to it. it is not daily or even weekly occurrence so it doesn't bother me. follow your program and listen to your doctor. first taste of soda was at 6 months post-op.

I have to admit that I have "had" soda since surgery, I pulled a "Bill Clinton" I took a sip just for the flavor, swished it then spit it out. Hahaha set myself up for some jokes there. But seriously just wanted to see if my taste for it had changed, it had and now it really does not bother me to be around it. My wife drinks Pepsi Max still and every once in a while my head says I want to try it, but, I don't because that was one of my many vices that made me unhealthy.

Carbonation hurts me

I still crave diet coke occasionally. I took a sip of my moms the other day. It was not fun. It tasted really gross and burned my throat!! Not worth it!

I drink diet ginger ale every so often to soothe the nausea of the meds I'm on. I let it go mostly flat. The burbs help me. My surgeon is aware and doesn't love it but doesn't ban it either. Strong carbonation bothers my stomach but weak I find helpful. On an infrequent basis.

I drink a Water called Avitae. It's made in Ohio and it just plain water and caffeine! I was a diet coke junkie. I work overnight so I did not give up caffeine and I don't like coffee or tea. They just came out with flavor one too this last month. You can order it online from Amazon or Office Depot. I use Office Depot because it is less expensive but Amazon gets it to you in 1-2 days. You can check them out on line and Facebook.< /p>

I drink a Water called Avitae. It's made in Ohio and it just plain water and caffeine! I was a diet coke junkie. I work overnight so I did not give up caffeine and I don't like coffee or tea. They just came out with flavor one too this last month. You can order it online from Amazon or Office Depot. I use Office Depot because it is less expensive but Amazon gets it to you in 1-2 days. You can check them out on line and Facebook.< /p>

I didn't no this. I'm going check this out. Thx for the input!

I've switched to tea as my sweet treat. No soda here.