Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fiber....not so much

Today I ate some FiberOne Cereal with Soymilk for Breakfast. I also had black Beans at lunch and a low-carb tortilla.

Never ever again. I just experienced THE worst stomach pain if my life. It felt like I got sleeved sans anesthesia and pain killers! It was so bad I couldn't even watch the stabbing scenes in Sons of Anarchy!! I panicked and thought I'd sprung a leak even though I am 10 mos out (can never be too careful!)

After getting some more of my Water in and laying down I began to feel the digestion working and the next thing I knew I was running for powder room.

Anyone else have an issue with Fiber? I looked at my food tracker and found I was over the recommended amount by a lot today. I usually get in good fiber but never have I gone over like today.

Watch out if you are a fiber lover like I am...all I eat is healthy fiber but too much almost took me down!

The pain is a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

Morale of story....it's very true that too much of a good thing is bad!

Edited by tomi71

Yikes! Okay, I will never have cereal, tortillas, and Beans in the same day!

I'm vegetarian and most of my foods are high fiber and plant based. I must have the stomach made of steel because I have no issues at all. I know from pre surgery life too much *Beans will give me loose stools, but otherwise I am fine.

*day I over did it black Beans and eggs for breakfast, bean burger for lunch and lentil Soup for dinner..... not a good idea.

Oh that sounds awful :(

About a month ago I realized that I was only getting about 10g of fiber a day via the veggies I eat (I don't eat Beans or bread products of any kind) and figured I needed to add a supplement. I found that the original Fiber One cereal added 14g of fiber for a half cup for only 60 calories and 25g of carbs so that seemed as good of a deal as any supplement.

I've been eating a half cup a day (on occasion a whole cup split throughout the day) with no issues. It may be that I am the oddball though because I haven't had any food issues (or really any issues) with my sleeve at all and I'm 10 months out.

Oh that sounds awful :(

About a month ago I realized that I was only getting about 10g of fiber a day via the veggies I eat (I don't eat Beans or bread products of any kind) and figured I needed to add a supplement. I found that the original Fiber One cereal added 14g of fiber for a half cup for only 60 calories and 25g of carbs so that seemed as good of a deal as any supplement.

I've been eating a half cup a day (on occasion a whole cup split throughout the day) with no issues. It may be that I am the oddball though because I haven't had any food issues (or really any issues) with my sleeve at all and I'm 10 months out.

Feeling better this morning but afraid to eat. liquids don't hurt so I think I am sticking to that today. I am starting to wonder if maybe it wasn't fiber but instead some kind of intestinal bug. It is going around in my neck of the woods and despite the fact that I wash my hands, clean my nails and wipe down my office daily I always seem to catch what is going around.

Not going to take anymore chances with that fiber though. Last night it felt like I swallowed glass!

@@BLERDgirl too much fiber and Water does that to me too. As luck would have it, I am the only one in my family who wasn't blessed with an Iron stomach. LOL

I avoid FIber One products because they contain cellulose which is basically processed virgin wood pulp. I eat Beans because I get both fiber and Protein from it. I know not everyone likes Beans. I also eat rolled oats for added fiber. I make oatmeal from scratch using rolled oats, brown sugar or date paste and almond milk. I sometimes add a bit of Protein Powder to the mix as well.

I avoid FIber One products because they contain cellulose which is basically processed virgin wood pulp. I eat Beans because I get both fiber and Protein from it. I know not everyone likes beans. I also eat rolled oats for added fiber. I make oatmeal from scratch using rolled oats, brown sugar or date paste and almond milk. I sometimes add a bit of Protein Powder to the mix as well.

Those oats sound delish! I do love beans, black beans with lots of garlic, especially. I think I am going to stay away from FiberOne stuff. Also, I think this might be acute gastritis. A nurse friend of mine checked me out at work and thinks that's what it is.

Going to dr after work to quell my paranoia.

Getting an ultrasound but they think it's just a stomach bug.

Turns out ultrasound showed nothing abnormal.

But I believe the culprit is chicory which is common in FiberOne products. I didn't know this until I did some research. Chicory and I never got along.

Going for more tests though. Still having some pains.

I avoid FIber One products because they contain cellulose which is basically processed virgin wood pulp. I eat Beans because I get both fiber and Protein from it. I know not everyone likes Beans. I also eat rolled oats for added fiber. I make oatmeal from scratch using rolled oats, brown sugar or date paste and almond milk. I sometimes add a bit of Protein Powder to the mix as well.

Hi It's been a long time since I've been on. Just checking up everyone. Have you reached goal? I'm 15 lbs away ! [emoji1421][emoji5]

My program has no grains or Cereal until maintenance. Refried Beans are allowed - 2 tbsp - and they recommend you chew them very well because of the gas potential.